Temp and Pressure Gauges

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Epiphone
80-90 Mem No: 7754

Re: Temp and Pressure Gauges

Post by Epiphone »

So I've ran an earth wire to the sender casing as I can't get the thing off the t-piece to change the washer ( which is obviously insultating it )and it looks good.

No "pegging on ignition only" and on cold start up got 3.5 bar. Slowly rising with the addition of some revs.

Will go for a drive soon and check it out!

At last!

tencentlife
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by tencentlife »

I found a post on a Golf forum saying that they always go to the max when the sender is not connected.
http://www.clubgti.com/FORUM/showthread.php?t=129668" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also read on the Golf forum that from cold on a good engine can go over 5 bar. Seems its referred to as pegging the gauge!
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... uestionBut" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; not sure about a wbx

I said as much above, you must not have read it.

All that you have described seems normal.

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

Finally got my TIM 100psi gauge out of the underbed and wired in.

Started this morning, and we're seeing...
Cold idle - 0psi.
Cold, 2000rpm - 20psi.
As soon as it gets warm, it's right down on the stop way below zero.

Bugger. That's not right.

Hot but turned off, I'm seeing 100ohm across the sender. As soon as I start the engine, it goes open-circuit. I'll check what it's saying cold tomorrow, but I think that's a fair indication that the sender's not a happy rabbit. It's been fitted since last Feb, but never connected.

With the sender wire disconnected, the gauge sits on the bottom stop. With the sender earthed, the needle sits just over 60psi. So that's the gauge buggered AS WELL...?!?

The sender's in the end of a half metre flexible extension from the low rev idiot light sender between the pushrod tubes. The low rev sender's in a T-piece at the end of the extension, along with the gauge sender. The idiot light works just fine (low rev sender - the high rev sender's shorted out - it's randomly paranoid)

Gah. This is going to be entertaining. I can feel it. Oh, and just to show it's displeasure at me fiddling with wiring, the van's decided that today would be a great day for the cooling fan switch to go south.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

No "pegging on ignition only" and on cold start up got 3.5 bar. Slowly rising with the addition of some revs.

Exactly what I see on an AAZ, cold start, no throttle, till the oil gets around and the rattly noie stops... as i said, expect typically rule of thumb, 1 bar per 1000 revs when oil about 80°C

:ok
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

Epiphone

Post by Epiphone »

Tencentlife damn I didn't see that. Thanks anyway

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

AdrianC wrote:As soon as I start the engine, (the sender) goes open-circuit.

<slaps forehead>
<checks again, with gauge disconnected from sender>

Right, that makes a BIT more sense. Except now the resistance changes radically between ignition off and ignition on but not running.

So - sounds like I need to earth the T-piece properly. It's not causing an issue with the idiot light, but it is with the gauge sender. Same problem as Epiphone's having, by the look.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Epiphone

Post by Epiphone »

good news, bus passed its MOT, so 2 more years (German rules) until the next one

bad news, the oil pressure flexible hose I installed was touching the exhaust manifold slightly, and after the MOT it leaked oil, but my mechanic replaced it with some ridged copper piping, so its nowhere near the engine now. As the t-piece and sender are also mounted to the engine then any vibration should be constant, right, so not to snap the ridged copper piping?

My mechanic also said that he tested the oil pressure himself and said it was fine and that the pressure sender is not giving correct readings, too low at hot and too high at cold. what do u think?

I fancy installing a mechanical oil pressure at the t-piece so I have a "true" reading and its fun to do.

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Epiphone wrote:good news, bus passed its MOT, so 2 more years (German rules) until the next one

Another 2 years, you've gotta love the German system.

:ok :ok
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

orcecaveman

Post by orcecaveman »

Just picked ap a set of VDO gauges from fleabay (dont you love it when they mis spell items, so they get naff all bids) Ill be fitting them to my WBX. Bit confussed as to which is the best way. Ill have to read and re-read the thread :roll: :lol:

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Just picked ap a set of VDO gauges from fleabay (dont you love it when they mis spell items,

Ohhhh, Yuss!

..but it's so smart today to be careless with spelling, punctuation, just for the sake of it and it costs 'em dear.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

orcecaveman

Post by orcecaveman »

Had a few minutes today and made this up. Had a squeeky moment when I remembered how crap those hole saws can be, so I cut out the holes with a dremmel. I would have liked to have a matching VDO vacuum guage, but this ones not too much different.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Nice :ok
You fitting it on top of the dash?
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

torchy
80-90 Mem No: 7122

Post by torchy »

DEVON.DAVE wrote:Had a few minutes today and made this up. Had a squeeky moment when I remembered how crap those hole saws can be, so I cut out the holes with a dremmel. I would have liked to have a matching VDO vacuum guage, but this ones not too much different.

I like that, will it fit on top of the instrument consul? and where could I get one?

Thanks
14" MV Syncro Caravelle aspiring to a Westy.
16" 1.9TD Syncro Crew Cab
...and for the really narrow lanes; Honda XR250 and CRF 230.
Join the TRF......help keep the lanes open!

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Post by axeman »

looks like a mud consol? i ended up having to inport my vdo vacuum gauge from the states as i wanted it too match and was surprised how little it cost even with the postage and tax.

neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

orcecaveman

Post by orcecaveman »

Yes its a mud console and it fit a treat on top of my dash untidy over the ash tray and a cup holder. Ill get some more pics when its fitted. Mud also now do a Mud Mini which is big enough for three gauges. Not the cheapest, but its a nice piece of kit.
http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/MUD_pod.shtml