2.1 DJ LHD Syncro Red oil pressure warning light and buzzer

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

syncro4us
80-90 Mem No: 2677

2.1 DJ LHD Syncro Red oil pressure warning light and buzzer

Post by syncro4us »

Back in France with another problem

Got a problem with oil warning light and buzzer that come on all the time.
We were towing a vehicle to Portsmouth and the light and buzzer came on. I fiddled with the switch terminal next to the oil pump then started up and it was fine all the way through France to Vire.
Got in the VW yesterday then the buzzer and light went on again.

I checked the switches and they seem to switch as follows
High pressure switch (next to oil pump) yellow lead open engine off closed engine on
Low Pressure switch on LHS cylinder head closed engine off open engine running

Have since been running around and the engine is pulling as per normal and no undue noise but to be on the safe side we are getting the oil pressure checked as per Bently Manual
Ignition on oil warning light lights (on ours it flashes) then at slow revs at 0.15bar-0.45 bar light goes out (which it does but pressure to be checked)
2000rpm oil at 80C min pressure to be 2 bar or 28ft lb (30 PSI) (drive off and light and buzzer come on on ours pressure to be checked)

Assuming the pressure is ok (this Saturday) I will replace the pressure switches and see if that works if not then I assume its in the
speedo cluster.
Meanwhile the buzzer id driving me crazy so is there a quick way to stop it. I think Simon said to short/earth the yellow lead to the High Pressure switch but nothing works, even disconnecting the two switch leads from the switches the light and buzzer come on so can anyone help throw some light
on this and how to silence the buzzer/red light for now

Kevin
kevinhjones@btinternet.com

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: 2.1 DJ LHD Syncro Red oil pressure warning light and buzzer

Post by Aidan »

Kevin
check the dash end for poor connection on the 14 pin edge connection and be aware the tacho signal that is required for bod circuit is split on the foil circuit board and can break where it wraps round the edge of the board - the fact that wiring the sender wire to chassis doesn't stop it means there's a break in the connection between there and the dash

syncro4us

Post by syncro4us »

Hi Aiden

Yes thanks for that .
Having spoken to Simon who told me about the yellow lead short cure, which didnt work I was suspecting the dash
foil wire behind the speedo so will check that as the pressure switches seem to be working properly (according to the logic matrix
ie open close values engine on and off) and the 12v line feed to the switches
are both present.
As a further check I am having the oil pressure level checked as per Bentley at a local garage which will be usefull bit of data to have any way.

Oil for Engine
I have been using Quantum oil 10-40 grade semi synthetic in the engine but must admitt I cant remember if I used this on the last oil change or some halfords equiv.

Reading blogs etc for an engine thats done 200K plus would you reccommend a thicker oil say 15-40 semi if I can get it or even a straight 20-40 mineral that is used in older cars as some suggest in america. What do you use and what do you think?

Could you post asap as we are off later to pick up oil

regards

Kevin

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

As Aidan is likely at work, I will pop in to say that a mineral 15/40 is what most folk use and is what VW recommend. However, yours does not sound like an oil issue, more a wiring one.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

hugomonkey
80-90 Mem No: 10485

Post by hugomonkey »

give your engine and gearbox a new earth with a jump lead and see if it helps
Regards Jason
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHp3lQKS6lo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

FYI I run Quantum Platinum 5W/40 fully synthetic oil nowadays as I got fed up with poor 15W/40 mineral oils since Quantum stopped selling it

syncro4us

Post by syncro4us »

Hi all
Thanks for the comments and as I worked through the diagnostics I took out the instrumment cluster and checked it for broken PC tracks
but everything checked out ok on the avo.
So cleaned the edge contacts and replaced it, meanwhile I also took off crimped the spade on the HP oil sensor and replaced and so far
all is ok after a run of 25km or so to Vire.

One other problem however
After purchasing and mounting of a replacement gear stick it seems that in neutral its possible to sling the stick over to the left almost without going through the process of pushing the stick down to select G or reverse.
This is a bit worrying as the stick that was supplied appeared identicle to the old one that had broken and fixed temporarily.
So I guess is there an ajustment to lift the stick so it has to be pushed firmly down to select g or reverse.
The new plastic ball and centre pivot were replaced as per the manual and it all seems to work excepte the dogs on the front selector shaft seem to only just contact the metal blocks attached to the metal box below the floor.
Any one know how to ajust?
Kevin

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

Kevin glad the connection issue appears resolved
re the gearstick, exactly what was replaced ? just the stick or a complete unit with the pivot ball assembly in the pressed metal holder
is the top collar and grub screw set correctly heightwise ?
do the tips of the front selector shaft still have their nylon guides on ?

syncro4us

Post by syncro4us »

Hi Aiden
Thanks once again

I bought a complete replacement gear stick and ball assembly incl the metal socket that bolts on the floor.
I assembled the socket and put the ball and rubber shroud plus plastic castled spring locator the right way round and pressed it in.
One critical dimension I didnt check was the distance of : the pivot pin tube centre at the end of the stick for the front shaft to... the welded collar support ring for the plastic ball on the stick which if slightly different could effect it.
As for the nylon covers for the tabs, no I ommitted to check the forks had these on as I assumed a direct replacement would work accordingly, having said that the old stick had to be pushed down considerably to engage G or R even after the temporary mend with a solid metal insert which wouldnt effect the bottom end anyway.

The stick seems to fit perfectly. When I have a mo I will check the dimensions more thoroughly or the plastic caps or see if I got else wrong.
As a precaution I brought the old (original ball and locator plate with me so can substitute so see if that makes a difference.
I also lubricated the forks and the side detent blocks on the lowere metal shroud with copper grease.
As we get fine weather I will work my way through it, and can even put the old assembly back to cross check. Just wanted to check if I had missed someting else with you. This may take a few days as I have to sort builders mowing etc so I may start a new topic on it
Kevin
Le Gast
Normandy