Anti roll bar drop links again!

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Anti roll bar drop links again!

Post by max and caddy »

Spent this afternoon putting the front suspension back on my van as i sold the stuff it had...the new arms are the forged kind and this means the anti roll bar links are handed...I have convinced myself that despite all the struggling to get them on I have put them on the wrong sides...so does anyone have a picture or can explain in terms I can understand which way they fit on?

Reason I'm unsure is that with the suspension hanging down and slippy stuff on the bushes the bush try's to move inwards along the bar, and as lifted vans seem to have problems with them popping of the end I'm thinking the worst.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: Anti roll bar drop links again!

Post by lloydy »

drop links point back and in towards middle of van on mine (i have cast lower arms). these are the only pics i can find at the moment
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

better pics..

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

Thanks mate...that's what I need...now fingers crossed I put them on right....also managed to fit the radius rod bushes the wrong way round as well it turns out...on both my syncros! Think I will leave those as they are as the pickup works ok and the forged arm are a reet furker to get on and off compared to the pressed ones.

Your engine has a sump on now by the way...head on this week i reckon.

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

Yep...put em on wrong...great, more struggling!

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Bugger, though that sort of thing only happened to me :lol:

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

No,,even so called professionals make epic fails.. :oops: .on a more intresting note I have fitted a pair of thermonuclear plastic cv boots to the front inners to try...fit is perfect and if there was to be an issue with them I suspect it would be due to the angles...but fingers crossed they will work as I'm seriously foiked orf with perishing cv boots..the ones on my pickup are going already and it's only been on the road 7 months!

jes*b
80-90 Mem No: 10335

Post by jes*b »

Alex - did you go rubber on your anti roll bushes ? Also how much of a faff is pressing the bushes into the cast arm ? Similar to trailing arms ?

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

max and caddy wrote:No,,even so called professionals make epic fails.. :oops: .on a more intresting note I have fitted a pair of thermonuclear plastic cv boots to the front inners to try...fit is perfect and if there was to be an issue with them I suspect it would be due to the angles...but fingers crossed they will work as I'm seriously foiked orf with perishing cv boots..the ones on my pickup are going already and it's only been on the road 7 months!
Is this the OE ones perishing or GKN?

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

jes*b wrote:Alex - did you go rubber on your anti roll bushes ? Also how much of a faff is pressing the bushes into the cast arm ? Similar to trailing arms ?

Rubber as the factory on the drop links yes..not a fan of fancy coloured polybushes but I did use those in the cast arms as I think the standard bushes suffer a bit with fore and aft movement..however...me and Andy did fit a set of o.e bushes to his cast (forged) lower arms very recently and they were a bit of a task to be honest and I do infact have the fitting funnel tool...threaded bar and lots of winding was the method.

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

lloydy wrote:
max and caddy wrote:No,,even so called professionals make epic fails.. :oops: .on a more intresting note I have fitted a pair of thermonuclear plastic cv boots to the front inners to try...fit is perfect and if there was to be an issue with them I suspect it would be due to the angles...but fingers crossed they will work as I'm seriously foiked orf with perishing cv boots..the ones on my pickup are going already and it's only been on the road 7 months!
Is this the OE ones perishing or GKN?

These were the gkn/lobros I got off mr B...also the rubber ones I got from vw recently one of the 2 I fitted split down the seam in a year...havnt looked at other one since but I'm sick of rubber cvj boots now! Running 2 cars means i have 12 cv boots trying to split all the time! The thermo ones are a mk4 golf part...100mm and a 27mm shaft and fit very well. Bit more expensive than the lobro ones but to be honest they are to cheap I think and maybe why they don't last?
Last edited by max and caddy on 30 Mar 2014, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

So today has seen the links swapped round and the lower arms are done. Also changing the upper arms ask had some with new lemforder bushes waiting to go on...to be honest the originals are in very good shape but may as well fit them then its done..need a track rod end and make sure everthing is freed off ready for alinment doing then make a start at the back end on the extremely rusty trailing arm bolts....and should I fit those lift spacers...hmmm

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

I have poly fitted to my lower arms, saw them being fitted, just popped straight in.
Funny innit, when one of the main things you worry about is cv boots :roll: at the moment my vw ones are doing ok. Will try sand rail boots if they fail. You've got my old spacers haven't you?

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

Yes I have your old f u dave ones...the poly bushes are a doddle to fit and could be done in situ...I wasn't as the reason for the new arms is the old ones rusted out...mr Ghia has those now and I think are destined for the shorty pickup contraption.

Your on bigger Audi boots...108mm..but you front inners will be 100s?

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Yeah, front inners are 100mm. I'm using vw rear boots on them.