Cheap Syncro on the Bay....?

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Re: Cheap Syncro on the Bay....?

Post by jed the spread »

Just had a read since I posted last and seems loads of you are getting quality cars off ebay,

I have noticed over the last few years that people ask loads of money for a Syncro on ebay, simply because they think they are rare and although they are more rare than a 2wd T3/T25 van you can still find good ones under bushes in peoples drives if you condition yourself. Listings on ebay like "totally sold underneath" and "pulls like a train" are usually written by air cooled VW owners and traders that have bought a Syncro and are used to looking under a vintage transporter and it being shagged. Generally I think all T3/T25 transporters are all solid underneath, evan if the rear jacking points have a big hole in them, the usual places are gone and have had a cheap blow over, they still pull like a train compared to a splitty.

If anyone is looking to buy a Syncro I would personally buy from someone on here who has a quality Syncro for sale that they have spent money in the right areas like the one Rich had for sale that is now sold. He spent quite a few grand on that amazing camper than he sold it for I bet for a hell of a lot than his total spend.

Dont get me wrong I paid £1600 for my Westy Syncro via an auction so you can get a bargain but seriously if you are going to buy a VW T3/25 via an auction or auction web site I personally doubt you will break any where near even. I bought my Doka from an enthusiast on here with loads of money spent in the right places and at the time people thought I was paying top whack. It was back then and now its worth more than what I paid for it back then.

Sorry if went on a bit then I just think the days of getting a cheap Syncro at auction went out of the window 10 years ago when you could snap up a mint Swedish postal van for £1600 at auction because people were afraid of a Syncro back then. Anyone else remember those days? Even Busman was selling vans like Fabian's for £1600 back then if I remember correctly.

I do feel slightly responsible for some of the price increase though with the videos we have put online showing the Syncro life style :oops:

Jed
Last edited by jed the spread on 08 Mar 2014, 08:06, edited 3 times in total.
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

Winchweight
80-90 Mem No: 12697

Post by Winchweight »

I think this one was pulled early. :|

Has anyone been to see this one? I see the seams need attention, but what's the rest like?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131120074098? ... 1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's been on for a while, so maybe he'll take an offer?
http://www.thelittleredbus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka - SOLD
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper

Syncrobaz
80-90 Mem No: 10610

Post by Syncrobaz »

Has been discussed on here before, think the seller's name sums it up, 'donkey's ass'!!!!!!!!!!!
Syncronaut no 152
92 RHD mv panel van
94 RHD jx doka 16"

Winchweight
80-90 Mem No: 12697

Post by Winchweight »

Ah ok, I missed that thread.
http://www.thelittleredbus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka - SOLD
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

Its been around at least twice, gets to about 4500 and gets pulled.

I phoned him and was on the point of going to see it but his requirement and my wallet were on different wavelengths.
From our chat it sounds like a decent van and he seemed genuine, I just think he's +2k off the mark
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Post by syncropaddy »

jed the spread wrote:
I do feel slightly responsible for some of the price increase though with the videos we have put online showing the Syncro life style :oops:

Jed

The humble VW Bus has been an icon for many many years and its just natural that the thirsty old Aircooled buses have had their day and the more modern versions get their chance to shine. This trend is not unique to VW or the Syncro so I wouldn't think you're responsible for any value adjustments, and like everything else, the values will fall. You are, however, responsible for putting the figure of £15,000 on a good Syncro. Its a good figure too but I dont think too many people actually understand what you mean cuz they are still buying 'cheap Syncros'.

'Syncro Lifestyle' ..... ??

Is that travelling around the place for a few weeks / months at a time in a 4 x 4? Wouldn't you wonder why people wouldn't use a Land Rover for that type of thing ... or a Landcruiser ... or a Jeep ... or a G Wagen ... or a ......

Nah ... dont think you're responsible for that either :lol:
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

slobbo
80-90 Mem No: 3089

Post by slobbo »

My ones on ebay at the moment. Not cheap though but how many fully galvanised 190bhp syncros are there on the market. :D Will regret selling it when its gone but needs must the wife won't let me keep al my toys. Have got a lwb T4 syncro in progress just now to replace it and my daily. Not rushing to sell it though. It's been on CVC for a while now but haven't pushed it anywhere else till now. When it sells it sells in the mean time I can wait for the lottery win that will let me keep all my toys.
Cheers
Rob.

You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.
1987 2.9 litre VR6 powered Syncro - Westy wannabe.

My site - My obsession - http://www.aircooledcrazy.com
VW Xmas cards - http://www.ceinwen.co.uk

KarlT
80-90 Mem No: 2266

Post by KarlT »

What is the story behind it Rob?
Aren't T3's part galvanised anyway, which parts?
Do you know, Who ordered whole body & why?

Syncrobaz

Post by Syncrobaz »

Read his description on the bay, it's all there and very interesting. :ok
Syncronaut no 152
92 RHD mv panel van
94 RHD jx doka 16"

Cableguy
80-90 Mem No: 8585

Post by Cableguy »

Very interesting indeed. But a rediculous price IMHO.
:ok

Syncrobaz

Post by Syncrobaz »

Maybe as it's lhd it'll end up the other side of the pond ?????
Syncronaut no 152
92 RHD mv panel van
94 RHD jx doka 16"

slobbo
80-90 Mem No: 3089

Post by slobbo »

Actually I reckon it is pretty well priced. If I asked busman to sell it over on mainland Europe I reckon it would go pretty easily. The work that has gone into it is significant. Everything from the engine to the powder coated suspension, poly bushes, all new ball joints and bearings in the last 6 months. The carbon fibre batteries, high spec battery charger the list goes on. If you did all that I have done to it you wouldn't see change out of £25k (including the cost of the van) and you wouldn't find a base vehicle in as good nick. zero rot on the body. I know you never get back what you spend on it but with its uniqueness and build quality it is worth the money. I have seen lesser vans go for more.

All that said if it sells it sells it doesn't I don't care overly. I'll just continue to enjoy it. The boss might get pissed at me eventually because I've bought a Ghia that I wasn't meant to until the van sold but she can only be mad at me for so long right. She knows the VWs keep me sane so she doesn't really give me too much grief.
Cheers
Rob.

You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.
1987 2.9 litre VR6 powered Syncro - Westy wannabe.

My site - My obsession - http://www.aircooledcrazy.com
VW Xmas cards - http://www.ceinwen.co.uk