new member with some questions

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Dumptruckface
80-90 Mem No: 0

new member with some questions

Post by Dumptruckface »

hi all i have finally got myself a syncro!! I'm a massive vw fan and have my fair share of vw's but have wanted a single cab syncro for a while,found one near to me, there is no doubt she IS A DOG body work wise but the engine and transmission seem fine (i can fix the body but I'm no mechanic!) but I'm soooooo pleased to finally have a syncro to add to my excessive amount of vw's!

a couple of questions, firstly i bought the truck knowing that the front and rear diff locks are nt functioning, i have been told they need a strip down and clean and thats all, although i take anything a seller has to say with a pinch of salt really, after all he is trying to sell me a vehicle right.

what should the led indicators show, will they either be on or off? or i think i read somewhere that they may well also flash? some guidance would be good please as i know nothing on these!

the second is probably a more general question, after an hour and a half drive i notice the oil warning light illuminated when i pulled up at junctions (on tick over) kind of flashed a little and stayed on, one i revved or pulled away it went right out, also whist driving it was not lighting up. i got home and forgot about it, ( it was dark so didn't check the oil level) i started her up so my brother could hear it run and the oil light didn't illuminate on tick over? i will check tomorrow but i thought i would mention it incase its a sign of something other than needing an oil top up?

longest forst thread in the world!???? all comments will be greatly received. :D
1988 S cab syncro
1960 KG
1957 Splitscreen
1990 karmann gispy
1987 Velle
1973 Wild Westerner :)

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: new member with some questions

Post by itchyfeet »

You dont say what engine and what year ( stick it in your sig helps in future) get that oil pressure checked or do it yourself with a guage typically the lowest pressure is hot idle, check oil level first but if its been run low damage may have been done.

sorry no idea about running gear
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Dumptruckface

Post by Dumptruckface »

itchyfeet wrote:You dont say what engine and what year ( stick it in your sig helps in future) get that oil pressure checked or do it yourself with a guage typically the lowest pressure is hot idle, check oil level first but if its been run low damage may have been done.

sorry no idea about running gear

:| I'm hoping its not going to have done any damage, it was sounding s sweet as a nut upon arrival home this evening so I'm hoping tomorrow a little top up and thats it :?
1988 S cab syncro
1960 KG
1957 Splitscreen
1990 karmann gispy
1987 Velle

bene
80-90 Mem No: 13093

Post by bene »

Fingers crossed for you dude...
I don't know much about diff locks but this little link explains the knobs but not the LED's. I'm sure others will assist you more thoroughly!
http://diamondhell.com/content/view/41/30/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers and good luck... Let us know how it goes.
Any one for cricket? what what?

slippy8v
80-90 Mem No: 8868

Post by slippy8v »

ignition on back lit,pull knob to engage diff lock and the green light comes on when engaged,push back in to disengage,my rear actuator was a bit slow or sticky and I followed Jeds tip and unscrewed the switch and poured some gearbox oil into where the switch unscrewed worked a treat,comes on nearly straight away.As you can see in the pic the front is on.

1967 RHD WALKTHROUGH SPLITSCREEN
1971 RHD BAY
1993 MK1 GTI CABBY RIVAGE
1989 T25 KOMET
1991 T25 SYNCRO PANEL VAN

Dumptruckface

Post by Dumptruckface »

Ok brilliant, thanks for the help so far
i don't seem to have the illuminated back light either ( or i didn't notice it) so first thing i will do is check that.
i have also downloaded the trouble shooting guide to diff locks on the transmission tech page, thanks again for the info so far, excellent forum and fantastic vehicles, i will also take a look at my oil levels this morning. :ok
1988 S cab syncro
1960 KG
1957 Splitscreen
1990 karmann gispy
1987 Velle

GoldSyncro
80-90 Mem No: 15422

Post by GoldSyncro »

Am I missing something but, if your front diff is on why is the rear diff lock knob pulled out??

slippy8v
80-90 Mem No: 8868

Post by slippy8v »

there both pulled out rear has not engaged yet.
1967 RHD WALKTHROUGH SPLITSCREEN
1971 RHD BAY
1993 MK1 GTI CABBY RIVAGE
1989 T25 KOMET
1991 T25 SYNCRO PANEL VAN

v-lux
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2951

Post by v-lux »

Just to add to this, ...

The front one should flash before it engages, then light up on constant once engaged.

Rear should only light up once engaged.

Dumptruckface

Post by Dumptruckface »

ok so if the front should flash before its engaged, but it doesn't?? does that mean anything in particular? unfortunately i have not had the time yet to take a closer look printed of the tech tips for fault finding tho so I'm poised and ready!
1988 S cab syncro
1960 KG
1957 Splitscreen
1990 karmann gispy
1987 Velle

v-lux
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2951

Post by v-lux »

Ive heard of the flasher unit sometimes failing, could be as simple as that...?

Syncrobaz
80-90 Mem No: 10610

Post by Syncrobaz »

Was this Sika from Gloucester? I was tempted but my misses said no !!!

Where are you based? I,m near Swindon if you want to pop down for a beer I would be happy to check it out :trunk
Syncronaut no 152
92 RHD mv panel van
94 RHD jx doka 16"