Gear Stick Came Off In My Hand!!!!

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

DokaDave
80-90 Mem No: 13023

Gear Stick Came Off In My Hand!!!!

Post by DokaDave »

Hi
I had read up on the replacement of the Gear Linkage Bushes and followed several threads on the subject. I subsequently got the parts from Brickwerks and pencilled in in for the first good weekend when I can get underneath and carry out the replacement in an effort to tighten up my box. but my hand was forced when the gearstick came off in my hand in the middle of town on Tuesday afternoon in the rush hour. Following my What the blithering heck moment :D I managed to limp it home and decided now was as good a time as any to undertake the works, so following reconstructive surgery on my gearstick, I came to rebuild the assembly which I thought would be straight forward, but I have problems with the setting, realignment and making it all work smoothly following the Gear Linkage Bush replacement and subsequent rebuild. So here I am!!!
Aiden mentions about nylon tips in another thread and they are clearly visible on Henry Photos, my question is do late Syncro have the nylon tips fitted?? Those on mine do not appear to have anything only bear metal whose face is approx l =15mm w =7 mm, they do not compare to Henrys photo shoot on the subject at all. I cannot work out if I have a left handed housing in my right handed Syncro. Looking from the front the gate is on the RHS is this right?

If I need some where can I buy some or have I got to manufacture them myself??
Also when setting up the spring tension and retaining collar where should the everything sit? where is its natural position? The collet to which the spring sits at the ball joint end should this be free as I am unsure if it should be fixed at a point on the shaft.
I am very conscience about some comments on here from Aiden about the gear levers natural position so I don't want to give the gear linkage an unnatural position and cause further problems

Any help in answering any or some of my questions gratefully accepted.
I have tried to post some photos with the thread

DD
1990 DoKa Syncro 1.9AAZ

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

DokaDave

Re: Gear Stick Came Off In My Hand!!!!

Post by DokaDave »

Tried to post some pic hope it works

http://s1305.photobucket.com/user/davet ... sort=3&o=0
1990 DoKa Syncro 1.9AAZ

vwfool
80-90 Mem No: 13027

Post by vwfool »

There are LHD and RHD gearshift but the transmission selector shaft is the same. The ear on your selector shaft is just worn off, it isn't a design feature.
Brickwerks offers the repair tips.

DokaDave

Post by DokaDave »

Thanks, I will order some ears and take it from there.
However, the bit that is confusing me is the reverse gate in the gear lever housing, I may just be missing something but it seems on the wrong side.
My thinking is as follows, it to be on the LHS when you look at it from the front underneath or RHS looking down from the drivers seat. When you engage 1st on the gear lever and looking down on to the gear lever due to pivots and the gear linkages it actually is 180 degrees and the bottom end of the gear stick is actually in the 4th gear position looking down (hope you understand it is confusing), 2nd gear above is in 3rd position, 3rd gear is in 2nd and 4th gear is in 1st.
So when you engage reverse and G which is through the 1st and 2nd gate in neutral position I would expect the gate to be on the RHS looking down mine is located on the LHS.
Am I totally off the beaten track here
~DD
1990 DoKa Syncro 1.9AAZ

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Fixed that photo for you.

VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

DokaDave

Post by DokaDave »

Thanks
1990 DoKa Syncro 1.9AAZ