Off-road vehicle recovery resource (sticky?)

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Off-road vehicle recovery resource (sticky?)

Post by silverbullet »

Which is where I this topic started in the first place. The suggestion that we establish a reliable resource for members to be better informed before they even leave the house.
Look where its ended up. Again.
I wish that I'd saved the time and got a few more square foot of woodchip off the walls.

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Post by syncropaddy »

silverbullet wrote: I wish that I'd saved the time and got a few more square foot of woodchip off the walls.

My God ...... you still have woodchip!
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Indeed.. you dont have to buy any hing that CVC show/demo/sell.. and that certainly was not the aim of the demo.. But what they have tried to offer is a nice set of kit that you dont have to second guess from several different suppliers.. Did you attend the demo at SP Ian???

every single syncronoughts event I have been to has a safety brieifng.....

And any newbies always get instruction and demonstration on safe vehicle control...

I have seen many an unsafe recovery and usually step in and drag people out of the way or stop procedings where I can.. having performed some dodgy recoveries myself.. I had been reading up and thinking logivlcally about how to make it safer when Jed posted a link and we had a good chin wagg about it at Sp.. losing a shackle out of the middle of 2 recovery straps has to be one of THE most important thing to teach everyone.. along with correct attachment points...

Lets not make this thread a back biting and defending session..

Lets move on to nstructing some safe recovery info.. :ok

armyphil
80-90 Mem No: 6328

Post by armyphil »

I just wrote a long winded reply to this but in summary it came down to stop bickering, every thread is turning out like this.

Come on get along we may not always see eye to eye but there are a lot of informed people in every different walk of life. Life's to short!

Now back to recovery
You can say alot of of things with "ar"

1984 syncro westfalia

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

The demo at SP was brilliant! Sadly can't remember all of it. Got the bit about newspaper and grass though!

Loving the idea of some instructional info! From the basics upwards. Can we start with the eyes on the back of the van? I only have a towbar on the back of the syncro...good for a trailer....but nowt else really! If I wanted to tow another van (when for instance I may have run out og lpg :oops: ) I couldn't use the solid bar on the back of the syncro... I have seen Ian's other thread on towing/recovery eyes...I guess that is what I need next.

Em
x
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Sorry about all that folks. Pain killers, decorating, lunchtime beer. Oh dear :oops:

Si, I wasn't at that SP, I was ripping up the tarmac at Hockenheim. Of course I want to learn new skills, every day is a school day.

Can we at least agree that this is a discussion that needed to be had, for everyone's wellbeing?

(thinks out loud) It must be the time of year, every Feb seems to find threads littered with argumentalism. I do wonder if I have bipolar tendencies or is it just seasonal affective disorder?

And yes Em, the hall still had woodchip. But now the kids have stoppped drawing on the walls and the dogs don't eat the carpets, I'm prepared to decorate. Especially after the water leak...

Syncrobaz
80-90 Mem No: 10610

Post by Syncrobaz »

I do hope you're not bi-polar, it's no fun especially this time of year :twisted:
Syncronaut no 152
92 RHD mv panel van
94 RHD jx doka 16"

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Thanks Baz. Family history suggests otherwise unfortunately. I have always had a rep for being "a bit mad" as any of my old school friends constantly remind me. I don't want a diagnosis but there are times when I struggle with ((what I now recognize as) my rather Aspergery/ADHD personality. My kids have taught me so much about myself its not true.
A pity as I started the year super-motivated, over enthusiastic and distinctly "on-fire" which is always the sign of me being rather "up" before turning a bit twitchy. I know I'm due for a dip soon enough.
Then a chance comment on here, my bad back, a DIY prescription medicine cabinet and strong beer means disaster results.
Not that I'm trying to justify being a reactionary grumpy a***hole who has a habit of taking exception to things. That maybe just me full stop...
Anyway, I'm NOT setting out to pi$$ Jed off or get on his case, its the last thing anyone needs. That's old news and besides he has more off-road touring experience than most around here can hope to accumulate.
Likewise Simon has done a masive mileage behing the wheel of his syncro, especially recently in Croatia, so I can't think of anyone better qualified to learn from tbh. As long as we all honestly know what we're talking about thats ok by me.
So it's not personal, it's my bad brain wiring.
There you go. Bet you didn't think you'd be reading something like this tonight, did you?
PS No booze or pills in me tonight, so my back is bloody sore. Again.

Shall we return to the great off-road safely debate now?

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

I think we need a new thread. One that takes all of the constructive comments from this one and leaves the rest behind.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

ninja.turtle007 wrote:I think we need a new thread. One that takes all of the constructive comments from this one and leaves the rest behind.
:ok
thread restart.............

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Cool. My intention all along.

Syncrobaz
80-90 Mem No: 10610

Post by Syncrobaz »

Don't you have to be mad to love a syncro !!!!????? :ok
Syncronaut no 152
92 RHD mv panel van
94 RHD jx doka 16"

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Certifiable I'd say! Us loonies have got to stick together...

Final apology for the psych splurge. I didnt want to have to air my laundry in public but I was troubled about the effect on club event atmos and no-one needs the aggro.
Hopefully we can all move on and let bygones be bygones.

Let's syncro.

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

Just seen this on YouTube , snapped snatch line. It's about 2 1/2 minutes in , might be of interest , might not :lol:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1GO6uMJoJLo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump