Rear recovery eyes

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Re: Rear recovery eyes

Post by ermie571 »

question....when does a recovery become a snatch???

Em
xx
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

Syncrobaz
80-90 Mem No: 10610

Post by Syncrobaz »

Safe recovery with a rope you take up the slack before pulling.

Dangerous way drive off with slack rope ie. 'snatch' :shock:
Syncronaut no 152
92 RHD mv panel van
94 RHD jx doka 16"

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Most of us have done a small "snatch" with a tow rope.. its not clever.. but sometimes a little tug is needed to get the initial movement.. ie a couple of feet of slack..
of course the correct way is to inch forwards until the line is tought and then pull...

its the set off as fats as you can from half strap/rope distance thats really nasty.. thats where a kinetic rope comes in.. bur thats another set of discussions I think..

v-lux
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2951

Post by v-lux »

Just had a thought, the NATO version of the tow bar has a similar four bolt attachment but its centred on the tube behind the bumper rather than hung underneath like the tow bar version.

Could a weld on section be made like the NATO with a recovery eye bolting on with four bolts? I'm guessing the welded on bit being centred to the fat tube behind the bumper would decrease the likelihood of any deflection?

NATO version could worth having a look at whatever the case, takes a pintle hitch for a Sankey trailer, I know that much...

toomanytoys
Trader

Post by toomanytoys »

Entirely possible.. but whats the advantage?
Just do what I have done.. 2 points rather than 1 central point...

v-lux
Trader

Post by v-lux »

My thought was that the bolts could be used to attach various things according to whatever someone wanted attached there.

But yeah, I hear what you're saying Simon.

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by max and caddy »

How about 2" receiver set up like the yanks use? Various attachments can be slid in to those...

toomanytoys
Trader

Post by toomanytoys »

Still have to attach it somehow to something..

I pondered over this for ages looking at all sorts of options.. then came up with a pretty simple solution.. after looking at challenge trucks and the hammer they give them.... can mount things to them, jack up on them and recover with them.. simples :lol:

Leipo
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Leipo »

max and caddy wrote:How about 2" receiver set up like the yanks use? Various attachments can be slid in to those...
when I bent my towbar during a recovery the complete 2" crossbar tube was deformed. (twisted and had developed a slight V shape)
this was a result of a 'snatch': https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HKZ_ ... G_3409.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
you don't want to have all the forces directed to the middle of that tube section
only good practice is to have the recovery point in a direct line with the chassis / framerails

so when I designed my own towbar/bumper I extended the mounting strips of steel using 10mm thick strips of steel (mounting to recovery eye is one piece) to have the recovery points in a straight line with the framerails: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-sDPc ... 5%2529.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tested and works like a charm :ok

hugomonkey
80-90 Mem No: 10485

Post by hugomonkey »

i agree thats the way to go, tried and tested again and again and..............
Regards Jason
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHp3lQKS6lo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

v-lux
Trader

Post by v-lux »

That looks like the way to go to me!

Facilitates permanently mounted shackles very nicely should one want to go that way. :ok

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

hugomonkey wrote:i agree thats the way to go, tried and tested again and again and..............
Agreed. It's as good as the shear on those 2 M12 bolts each side and the thickness of the Chassis rails. MOT man might get a bit twitchy though, they don't lke sharp bits poking out of bumpers, how it's different to a tow hitch I don't know.
max and caddy wrote:How about 2" receiver set up like the yanks use? Various attachments can be slid in to those...
I think they are/were illegal in the UK? Although I'm sure that I've seen the rear-facing square tube under the back of Disco4's and L322's recently :?

v-lux
Trader

Post by v-lux »

MOT man might get a bit twitchy though, they don't lke sharp bits poking out of bumpers

Presumably they could have a nice rounded profile on the end of them though couldn't they?
The Landy lot always have all sorts of junk poking out of their bumpers, they must be getting away with it somehow.

Really liking where this is heading now. :ok

Could the same or similar be done to the front also?

toomanytoys
Trader

Post by toomanytoys »

Hence why I used nice round bar..
and mine come out far enough to have something attached and stilm be usable..
I am working on an atachment bar for all manner of things to be mounted..

oh.. jacked the truck up on one at weekend.. no issues..

toomanytoys
Trader

Post by toomanytoys »

Leipo wrote:
when I bent my towbar during a recovery the complete 2" crossbar tube was deformed. (twisted and had developed a slight V shape)
this was a result of a 'snatch': https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HKZ_ ... G_3409.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
you don't want to have all the forces directed to the middle of that tube section
only good practice is to have the recovery point in a direct line with the chassis / framerails

so when I designed my own towbar/bumper I extended the mounting strips of steel using 10mm thick strips of steel (mounting to recovery eye is one piece) to have the recovery points in a straight line with the framerails: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-sDPc ... 5%2529.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tested and works like a charm :ok
That was some snatch then......
exactly why I did my loop mod..