rough cost to convert from 2.1 petrol to a diesel ?

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dirty-syncro-lover
80-90 Mem No: 0

rough cost to convert from 2.1 petrol to a diesel ?

Post by dirty-syncro-lover »

whats a rough cost to convert a 2.1 petrol to a diesel, and what is the best diesel engine to install that has plenty of power but also good mpg, and most importantly prob the ease of retro fitting to the petrol !
cheers

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Re: rough cost to convert from 2.1 petrol to a diesel ?

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

I went from 2.1 to 1.9tdi. With all the bits required and paying someone else to do the work you'll be looking at around £4.5k also you will more than likely want longer gears. If you 2.1 is healthy you should get a reasonable amount of money back on that and the petrol parts that you will no longer need.

AFN seems to be the most popular at this moment in time. The driving experience is dramatically improved over the 2.1. I highly recommend it. If I were to do it again I would seriously consider the PD route.

Economy wise you'll be looking at a realistic 30mpg.

Taking into account the extra MPG i now get and the cost I fuel I reckon it will take around 30k to recoup the cost of the engine conversion. I'm nearly there!

But fuel savings is just one of the reasons I went Tdi.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

dirty-syncro-lover

thats very informative thanks
whats pd diesel ?
what sort of mpg would i be looking at with a 2.1 petrol ?
what cars have the afn engine ?
cheers

orcecaveman

Post by orcecaveman »

Ive just booked mine in for this exact conversion with MV Engineering. It may be worth you contacting Mario there to didcuss your requirements. He tells me that he will use an adaptor which will save some costs and it will enable him to use the existing fuel tank, bellhousing, input shaft etc. Most important thing is that you pick who does it very carefully. Do your research.

dirty-syncro-lover

thanks
is there a link to the engineering company ?

Peninsulakid
80-90 Mem No: 8867

Post by Peninsulakid »

On here send a pm to Mazz he is MV engineering
:ok
PeninsulaKid

New vans are great but they just ain't got no soul!

zak
80-90 Mem No: 11553

Post by zak »

dirty-syncro-lover wrote: whats pd diesel ?
cheers
Pump Duse
RHD Holdsworth Syncro

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Post by syncropaddy »

Biggest mistake I made with any of my Syncros was selling my 2.1 and getting a diesel ......

£4500 to get a few extra MPG is a lot of money to spend. I used to get 25 mpg from the 2.1 and I get 30 ish from the diesel. You will hear stories of lads getting 40 mpg from their diesel TDi conversion but they dont - really they dont.

If you do decide to go ahead with this conversion I have a Syncro Diesel Bell housing with breathers here for sale!
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

Peninsulakid

Post by Peninsulakid »

Syncropaddy wrote
Biggest mistake I made with any of my Syncros was selling my 2.1 and getting a diesel ......

£4500 to get a few extra MPG is a lot of money to spend. I used to get 25 mpg from the 2.1 and I get 30 ish from the diesel. You will hear stories of lads getting 40 mpg from their diesel TDi conversion but they dont - really they dont.

Andrew your quite right in the fact that you won't get 40mpg from. TDi conversion, but I think your a bit out with your 2.1 figures.
I was getting 19/20 mpg from my Doka with 2.1 MV, and after have done 2 TDi conversions already with Mario I know that the Doka will do anywhere between 30 and 33 mpg depending on how I drive it.

So yes £4500 is a lot of money to get an extra 10 mpg but it's not only about mpg. It's also got a lot to do with loads more torque at lower revs, reliability and ease of getting new parts.

Cheers Rich
PeninsulaKid

Kent Joker

Post by Kent Joker »

Peninsulakid wrote:
Syncropaddy wrote

Andrew your quite right in the fact that you won't get 40mpg from. TDi conversion, but I think your a bit out with your 2.1 figures.
I was getting 19/20 mpg from my Doka with 2.1 MV, and after have done 2 TDi conversions already with Mario I know that the Doka will do anywhere between 30 and 33 mpg depending on how I drive it.

So yes £4500 is a lot of money to get an extra 10 mpg but it's not only about mpg. It's also got a lot to do with loads more torque at lower revs, reliability and ease of getting new parts.

Cheers Rich

couldn't agree more 25 mpg from a 2.1 ? certainly not in my experience, and your are spot on don't get your bus tdi because it a bit cheaper to run that's a mistake, but if you want a reliable bus that doesn't slow down up hills and is reliable in a way that you could only dream about with the original running gear and be ale to get reasonable priced engine parts in the future then your on the right track, Maro from MV did mine, and choose your installer wisely not sure who converted syncropaddys but I cant imagine if you drove any tdi that was converted by Mario you could possibly not like it!
Keith
1990 PD TDI Westy Atlantic

dirty-syncro-lover

great advice
i would prefer a diesel for torque parts and mpg and i don't trust the 2.1 its too weak for a heavy truck we have had to rebuild a couple and whatever van i got would prob be about the age where the engine is tired and worn and as i remember back in the day it was thirsty even when fuel was way cheaper

dirty-syncro-lover

my main problem is i have a t4 syncro with the 5 cylinder 2.5 petrol engine on lpg the van is mint and i have spent loads on it but i can't afford to run it on petrol thats for sure, also it has a short box so not perfect for long runs the 2.5 diesel in the t4 is a great all rounder an I'm tempted to convert mine to that, but i would like a t25 which i would try to keep forever as it would do everything i want it to do if it could be made affordable to run
?????????

syncropaddy

Post by syncropaddy »

Peninsulakid wrote:

Cheers Rich

Agreed Rich and my only experience with the lovely (when running right) 2.1 boxer engine was in my DJ Kombi which had nothing in the back at all - empty as empty could be - so therefore very light. It had the 225/70/15 tyres so the gearing was up by a few percent and on a cruise she would do 25 mpg. However, come playtime or towing a trailer it was a completely different story - 18 - 20 was the norm.

Yes the diesel it probably easier to drive and all your other points are valid but £4500 is a lot of money to spend on a Syncro. Get on to Autotrader and see what you can get for £4500 to use as a daily and use the Syncro for weekends.

Here is a start ....

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
syncropaddy

Peninsulakid

Post by Peninsulakid »

Andrew

All points noted and accepted.

Not sure about

Syncropaddy wrote

Here is a start ....

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ?logcode=p

As a builder it wouldn't really work for me :D :D
PeninsulaKid

syncropaddy

Post by syncropaddy »

Peninsulakid wrote:Andrew

All points noted and accepted.

Not sure about

Syncropaddy wrote

Here is a start ....

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ?logcode=p

As a builder it wouldn't really work for me :D :D

Trust me .... it would work!
syncropaddy