Wonderful Tirfor

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Al Housman
80-90 Mem No: 11858

Wonderful Tirfor

Post by Al Housman »

Thought I'd re-open a can of worms re winches!! :wink:

I managed to completely sump out my doka whilst delivering materials to a hedgelaying job. A green lane with a huge puddle which disguised a deep ditch .Both nearside wheels went in and there we sat in spite of difflocks.

There was nothing strong to winch to at the front so it had to come out backwards. The Tirfor, which had been sat untouched under the rear seats for two years, performed effortlessly and got the doka out in about 5 minutes. It was an ideal test for it.

I had fllrted fleetingly with the idea of having a smart looking electric winch at the front and boy am I glad I didn't. I'm sure they're great if a couple of you are playing off road and one can pull the other out. Or if you reverse into trouble. But if you're by yourself and can't get out forwards I imagine their use is pretty limited.And what if you need to drag something out sideways! Or am I missing something?

The Tirfor was an ebay purchase a couple of years back (£70) and a proper 25 metre length of 19mm cable a further £100. Compared to the cost of a decent electric winch plus ancillaries I reckon it was money well spent.

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Re: Wonderful Tirfor

Post by toomanytoys »

Yeah.. its often been discussed.. winch on the front.. or on the back.. on the front you really have to continue.. on the back you can at least get back to where you came from... both ends of course ideal.. or a portable front or rear mounting..
Can use the high lift to winch out.. we did a little demo at Syncrpendence...

Al Housman
80-90 Mem No: 11858

Post by Al Housman »

Yes a hi lift jack is next on my shopping list. I've seen them put to good use by some of the landrover lads round here.

Syncrobaz
80-90 Mem No: 10610

Post by Syncrobaz »

I have a Tirfor on my shopping list, they are so versatile, recovery ,tree felling, demolition etc..... :ok
Syncronaut no 152
92 RHD mv panel van
94 RHD jx doka 16"

Roving Rich
80-90 Mem No: 10828

Post by Roving Rich »

They seem to be a very versatile piece of kit. I fancy one for the Syncro and felling awkward trees that need "loading" to drop them.
Apparently the big disadvantage comes when you have to cover some distance. ( According to Tom Shepperd expedition driving Guru) Like a hundred yard mud hole where you must keep going on, to reach your destination.

Have you guys ever come across the "Flip Flop" winch - It was taught to me by Mors Kochanski a Canadian backwood wizard. If you are stuck and have some strong rope its worth a try. It is very dangerous, as there is enourmous tension on the rope and the levers.

This is the best video I could find, shows you the theory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y4Ta7rJXNc

Note the use off his belt to secure the lever - This is essential, as they are under massive tension and try to sping back and take your head off !
I have demoed it a few times, pulling trees and a landrover, but only used it once in anger.

The other emregency option is a windlass. I prefer to dig a deep hole for the upright, and again the tension on the thing can take your head off !

Five minutes into this one will give you the idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w37cimLz7V0

And if you are in any doubt that this low tech solution works here is the proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0_oKHARhXw

Maybe it will come in handy for someone.

Cheers
Rich
1986 Yellow Syncro Panel Van camper conversion. 19TDi 1Z Engine conversion