Fly wheel question

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Lorcan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Fly wheel question

Post by Lorcan »

Hi all,
I going to put an afh tdi (much the same as the afn) into the horse and I'm wondering what my options are, I was thinking of keeping the afh set up with the starter on the engine side, by using one of these ; http://www.ha-projekt.de/getriebe_getri ... duct_id=61" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I realised that this is not ideal for a syncro as I don't think the started on the under side would be much good for wading.

Alternatively I have a 1z fly wheel, I could machine it down to let the starter in , but not sure of the set up for the pressure plate clutch set up.

Or I could just keep the jx set up, it would be sure to slip but it might just save the gear box.

What is the tried and tested set up?

Thanks

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: Fly wheel question

Post by lloydy »

that link is to a tdi input shaft, can't see how that would let you put the starter on the engine side?
i have used a tdi input shaft, the 1Z type flywheel and clutch. You can either trim off a bit of the flywheel and use the jx starter or get the starter adapter from brickwerks (they do the input shaft too) and fit a tdi starter motor.
other option is jx flywheel and input shaft and a hybrid clutch set up
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Lorcan

Post by Lorcan »

If I use the afh fly wheel the starter teeth are on the engine side as is a carrier for it, using that I/p shaft I could use the afh clutch and pressure plate.

Like the idea of keeping the starter up top and using the tdi starter, must have a closer look on brickwerks,

Thanks for that. :ok

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

i don't think you can use that flywheel
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Is it an AHF? If so thats the later block style so JX bits no good.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

I've got a Bernd Jaegar flywheel/clutch kits in my Doka. Flywheel Is heavier than a tdi one and it revs really nicely with an AAZ. Quite odd to drive compared to what one is used to with IDI/TDIs but has a very positive effect on driveability. Don't know if he still sells the heavier ones though as can't see them on the shop :ok

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Hmm interesting.. I wonder if that flywheels an off-the-shelf part.

Re. the OP's original question, I don't believe there is a tried and tested way to fit an 'AFH' to a T3. According to ETKA it's a 1.4l 16v petrol engine originally fitted to the Polo family.

There *is* an AHF engine, which is a 110bhp TDI similar to AFN, but with the late-90's block style with no intermediate shaft, chain driven oil pump, water pump in the block, and vac pump on the front of the head.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

When i see the previous owner next Will get the paperwork off him Andy and let you know what exactly it is. He definitely got it from b j and was adamant its a heavier one as that's why he bought it.

Lorcan

Post by Lorcan »

Think I will go with the 1z flywheel clutch pressure plate with the brickwerks i/p shaft and starter adopter.
Regarding the engine itself, (it's from a '96 A4) I'm beginning to get worried, :( I thought it had the same sump and oil pump set up as the AFN. It does have the vacuum pump in the same place as the AFN, so their is some hope! Must have a more detailed look.

I like the idea of leaving the engine at 15*, because their would no need to change oil pump, sump, manifolds. Ect.

But again, I think the sump may sit lower using this set up and I would need to modify the body plates, but the biggest down fall would be the loss of ground clearance.

Lorcan

Post by Lorcan »

You can just make the engine code, it has to be AFH ? Had a quick measure of the sump, it's the same shape but seams to be shorter by a few cm. so it look like JX parts will not be compatible. So don't know if I should just forget about it and find an AFN or go the adopter plate root and fit it 15*.

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

AFH-AFN.PNG

Why not just look at the block where the engine number is stamped rather than guessing from a worn out sticker that could have been swapped from another engine?
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

Lorcan

Post by Lorcan »

Had that thought too, doubt that the belt cover was changed,

The only no. I can find is on the head between the middle injectors, but it has no letters in front of it. can this no. be translated to an engine code? or should I be looking on the block itself somewhere?

thanks for your help.