Door locks and +ve battery cable

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

muileach
80-90 Mem No: 0

Door locks and +ve battery cable

Post by muileach »

Looking for help. The trigger part of my door handle has broken, I have an other old handle with no key which leaves me two options change the barrel or change the trigger how easy is it to change the barrel and how do I do you get it out of the handle?
On a separate issue just out of curiosity how thick should a +ve starter cable be? The cable on my 91 2.1 dg syncro has a diameter of 13mm but the diameter on my 84 1900 Club joker is only half the size about 6mm any idea why? The syncro originally came from Sweden could this have any bearing on it.
Thanks
Muileach

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Re: Door locks and +ve battery cable

Post by garyd »

From memory, once the handle is off the door the trigger fixing is obvious. There is a single screw holding a flat steel plate over a piece of rubber seal. With these off, the trigger has a cast in pivot pin that is just laid into recesses in the handle. Lift it out, complete with return spring and fit the 'new' one.

To change the barrel, there is a tiny roll-pin through a plate engaged on the square pin at the back of the barrel. Drive out the roll-pin, prize off the plate which has two protruding pins and the barrel will come out from the key side. Watch out for the tiny brass plates and even tinier coil springs in the side of the barrel. Best to keep the key in the lock barrel to keep it all together.

To get the handle off the door, ease the door seal away from the door flange level with the back of the handle. You will find a single screw there which needs to come right out. Then ease the handle forward along the face of the door just a few millimetres to disengage the front end 'hook' mounting. The handle will then lift away from the door. Take care positioning the two plastic gaskets when you put it back.

Hope that helps. It's one of those jobs which is easy the second time around.
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine

MattBW
80-90 Mem No: 11790

Post by MattBW »

On a related note, my passenger side has lost its spring, can the spring in the trigger be sourced and replaced?
1985 1.9TD AAZ -Starlight Interior
2015 California Beach

muileach
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by muileach »

Thanks for the help got the handles off ok but now find that both front and sliding doors can be unlocked with a screwdriver or any key so looks as if I am going to have to invest in new handles and locks.

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Post by garyd »

When you buy new handles they will all be keyed separately. It is possible to remove the barrels and reqork the brass tumblers to suit a single key - presumably your existing ignition key. I'm sure I've seen a detailed post somewhere, probably under Bodywork on here.
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

I wrote a thread on here about re keying, in body work I think. .
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed