Syncro Travel Advice

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bikermike87
80-90 Mem No: 7559

Syncro Travel Advice

Post by bikermike87 »

Hello!

So, despite being on my second syncro, I'm no closer to being an experienced owner.

I'm after some Winter Driving / Travel advice...

My good lady turns 30 at the end of March and we have spoken about going to Europe in the new van to celebrate. (Van was Hutch's 16" multivan conversion, with EJ25 Subaru).

I have ideas about driving to Geneva then head for a ski resort or even the Arctic circle in Norway, but I have little experience of driving in these sorts of conditions, here are some of my concerns;

Tyres & Chains: I have A/T's with M+S logo on them. So not proper winter tyres. Should I be getting proper winter tyres fitted? Chains, I'm guessing some places specify, but this will be at the End of March / Start of April, so do we need them? Do all tyres need to be the same make?

Propex / Eber : I'm thinking a petrol eber, to save space.

Coolant: Change this and make sure it's suitable for lower winter temps

Night time engine heating: I remember reading MickeyFin pluggin his van in at night in Norway. Do I need to fit something? Leave engine running? Get hook up and put a heater under the engine?

Recovery gear and experience: Tow rope? Waffle boards? Hoist? Spade? Should I be driving alone?

Oil pressures: what happens on hills at altitude, should I be worried?

Thermal screens and good sleeping bags: I have 4 season bags, need to check temp range though.

Driving ability! : I have no idea how good / bad I am. Never been green laning in a syncro, just gone across sandy beaches and muddy fields. Should I be worried?

So, am I being realistic? I tend to be a bit relaxed when it comes to travelling. Just jumped on my motorbike last spring and rode around Europe without planning anything, other than the ferry!
https://www.facebook.com/ChefCampers/
1991 Syncro Westfalia Atlantic 2.1MV

Winchweight
80-90 Mem No: 12697

Re: Syncro Travel Advice

Post by Winchweight »

Hi Mike. I'm not overly Syncro savvy myself, but years of military driving including Norway taught me there's no magic to it. Plan ahead, have the right kit and drive carefully at reasonable speeds.

1. Studded tyres make it easier by a long way, but good winter tyres will suffice and have use when you return home (studs are illegal on UK roads). Snow chains or socks are a good idea, but practice fitting them before you go.

2. Ebers are fantastic, anything gas doesn't like being cold soaked and become less efficient at altitude.

3. Proper low temp coolant at the right concentration is essential, also screen wash. Consider a different thermostat as well. Also ensure your battery and alternator are in good condition as you will be subjecting them to increased loads and low temps.

4. Night time engine heating is only really necessary if you're encountering extreme cold for prolonged periods. Last week in Tromso it was around -9 to -12 still aIr, and my hired Mazda 6 was nothing special but started first time, every time.

5. Recovery gear such as a shovel, empty sand bags and a long, strong tow rope are the essential. Waffle boards or sand ladders are nice, but not usually essential unless off roading. A travel partner is nice but not necessary unless your going off the beaten track. Be sure to carry a go-pack with warm dry clothes, hat & gloves, high energy foods and always a thermos of hot coffee / soup,etc. When buying gloves you will need thick thermal ones and mittens are better than fingered gloves, but also a pair of thinner contact gloves to protect you from cold metal but allow you to, use tools, recovery gear etc. Never, ever touch cold soaked metal with bare skin! Get good thick hats. Torches and signal lights are a good idea, but keep somewhere warm or the batteries won't last long.

6. Never had any issues with oil pressure.

7. Thermal screens are nice and good quality sleeping bags are essential. Consider silk or thermal liners too. Insulate your van as any exposed metal will be painfully cold.

8. When driving, allow enough time and be realistic when planning journey times. Don't rush and keep your speed down. It's not hard to do, just look ahead and plan your route thought the snow. Countries like Scandinavia, Switzerland etc are well used to snow and usually don't salt or clear roads, so you'll be driving on compacted snow/ice with grit over. You'll be surprised how good a surface it is.

Above all, have fun!
Last edited by Winchweight on 30 Jan 2014, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.thelittleredbus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka - SOLD
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

How long you going for Mike?

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

bikermike87

Post by bikermike87 »

Thanks Shaun, that's all very good to know!
:ok

Jed -I'm thinking about 16 days, 21st of March to the 6th of April, so Arctic circle is probably out of the question.

I also have to fix my cold starting issue and try the van with the prop in and sort out the clutch slipping problem. (oh, maybe move house & go to India for a couple of weeks too)

orcecaveman
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by orcecaveman »

Scooby engined Syncro? Maybe thing about an LPG conversion before you set off around Europe. If youre ever going to do it, now would be a good time. (Obviously dependng on finances)

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

I think its already lpg'd..

well.. vehicle prep is most of work for any lengthy trip.. if any doubts. Replace the part, if it can be refurbed and used as a get you home.. do that.. (I carry a front and rear driveshaft assembly) prep for the conditions you are going to encounter...
driving experience helps.. understanding what the vehicle can do in certain situations is valuable..
at's will be fine for most conditions.. but arctic stuf really ought to have propper tyres for that..
petrol eber (or other) is a sensible move... good set of batteries too.. cold is gonna reduce performance of them..last thing you need is not being able to start van or have some warmth....
non arctic areas.. eber not so required depending o where you go...

I am prepping for my trip back to Croatia end of April.. (for Croatia Trophy) gona be there at least 3 weeks again.. (join me for some of it if you like) because I did loads of work last year.. I am jmproving some areas I could have done with and extra's I didnt take...

revovery gear.. Jeds bag of stuff is good.. 2 straps and tested shackles a must and a spade...... hi lift jack is usefull as it can be used to winch with..

syncropendance last year.. we covered some basics in the recovery/self recovery .thing.. I think quite a few learnt a lot that day...

bikermike87

Post by bikermike87 »

Cheers guys.

The van is LPG'd, but I'm not going to be making any detours to fill up, if it's there, i will fill up. I have a 330 GPS mile range on LPG, so I don't need to worry about stopping too often, especially with a full tank of petrol too. I think someone said the autobahn has LPG advertised on service station exits, so If I see it, I will fill it up.

Drive shaft assembly sounds like a good idea. Just need to source the 16" spares and have a go at building one up myself for once :oops:

I would have been up for a bit of Croatia, but I have to take at least a week's leave before the end of March or I lose it (plus it's my GF's 30th).

I really hope i can pull this off, but starting to get nervous!

Rautasika
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Rautasika »

Hello From Finland.

I have been driving T-3 syncro in all sorts of winter conditions, in winter we up here normally use M+S tires whit studs. If it is not wet and icy surface a good M+S tyres do fine specially on syncro,studs dont have any work to do on soft snow on ice they are essential.Maybe pair of snow chains if you are coing to offroad to snow would be a good idea.
All liquids on car should be updatedt for winter conditions,engine oil,gearbox oil,coolants,window washers, all must be suitable for low temperetures.Diesel filter collect water so it must be emptied from water or chance for a new one.
All cars have electric heating on engineblog and other socket inside to get cabin heater connected.
Glow plugs,battery and they connections must be in perfect condition to get reliable starts.
Diesel sold at winter months in Finland is arctic quality and i think same goes in Norway too, so when entering on country it is good idea to fill up whit local diesel.
In case of break down of the car have plenty off warm clothing whit you.

Terveisin
MN

toomanytoys
Trader

Post by toomanytoys »

Lpg isnpretty essy to find generally I europe.. most motorway services have it signed.... I only ran o petrol a couple of times.. maybe 100km in croatia only.. I was getting around 700km out of my lpg set up..

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Post by syncropaddy »

I love threads like this .....

I went to Syncro 25 and the only spares I brought were spare bulbs and some engine belts. I also brought an extra six bottles of wine just in case

My son went from Dublin to Nordkapp, down to Malaga and home again. All this in November/December two years ago and I think he brought a spare pair of pants with him. His vehicle had 160,000 miles up!

Winter driving advice? Leave a bigger gap between you and the guy in front!
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

syncropaddy wrote:I love threads like this .....

I went to Syncro 25 and the only spares I brought were spare bulbs and some engine belts. I also brought an extra six bottles of wine just in case

Dont forget about your roof tent on top of your empty camper van too mate :lol:

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

bikermike87

Post by bikermike87 »

My son went from Dublin to Nordkapp, down to Malaga and home again. All this in November/December two years ago and I think he brought a spare pair of pants with him. His vehicle had 160,000 miles up!

To be fair, i get your point. Like i said, i'm usually really laid back and just book a ferry and go (Tend to go Europe on Bikes). But I'm not planning on sticking to main roads. (I do drive 500 miles some weekends with no spares and I have driven on main roads in snow etc). It was more about driving in the mountains with heavy snow on very steep roads, and camping in very cold climates. Making sure I'm not missing anything obvious.. It's not for a summer jolly.

I've found the thread really usefull, so thanks all.

I once broke a front CV by changing the spare wheel over and not realising it was a different size. So yes, i do need to ask stupid questions that might seem obvious to you :lol:

toomanytoys
Trader

Post by toomanytoys »

dont forget... we dont have luck of the Irish....... :wink: :wink: :run

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Post by syncropaddy »

jed the spread wrote:

Dont forget about your roof tent on top of your empty camper van too mate :lol:

Jed

Ah yes! The sofa. Often wondered how much MPG that cost! In fairness to roof tents, its a good idea but when buying it I didn't factor in the weak bladder ....

The new guy from Finland has said it all really. Prepare for the conditions before you go
Last edited by syncropaddy on 30 Jan 2014, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

I find a wide-necked drinks bottle solves that problem.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD