Introduction

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Misha
80-90 Mem No: 0

Introduction

Post by Misha »

Hi everybody,

Although I'm not a Syncro driver at this moment, I hope to become one in the (very) near future. I've been driving landrovers (90''s & series) for the last decade (to be honest, Landys are the only cars I have ever owned) but decided to sell mine last december. Changing Dutch tax regulations had taken all the fun out of it, besides that I had the plan of buying a campervan for quite some time now. Wanting a campervan and parting from my 4x4 brought me to the idea of a Syncro. Damn these cars are cool! I wonder why I had never thought of them before..( brand-blindness?!) So a couple of weeks ago I started my search for a Syncro, the more I looked the more entusiastic I got. Special thanks to Jed's campervanculture, that realy gave me the syncro-fever! :ok

But finding a nice and affordable one, that's a totaly different thing. I've got my mind set on a poptop since this will fit in my garage. I prefere not leaving a syncro (or any old car) outside. I've read most of the relevant topics about the technical aspects of a Syncro and think I know where to look for / be ware off when buying one.

Last week I finaly found one and went for a testdrive yesterday. I'ts an orignial 16" fitted with poptop, westfalia interior and... a Ford 2.8 V6 with stainless steel exhaust (with lpg).
although not original the car drove excellent. Nice gears, plenty of power,.... (probably not to economic either :lol: )

There are a few 'minor' things that I would like to have some info on, I was hoping to find answers to my questions here! :D

The car has some typical t3 rust problems. The rear windows have rust spots (ca. 2 inch square) are these easy to repair? The pannel behind de front bumper doesn't look to healty eather (along the entire with of the vehicle) are these big repairs? There is also one technical problem that I stumbled on... the rear difflock key/button works the wrong way round... pulling in out is disengaging, pushing it in is engaging the difflock... (?) Wired the wrong way round? Besides that the car looks quite allright. Although I haven't tested / checked the car on more of the mechanical parts (which I will do next time) i think this is all quite in order. The cars has been serviced by a garage and hasn't seen much offroad (none is more likely given the state of the underside)
Any ideas about how much I Syncro like this should cost? (given my description)

Well, so far my short introduction! Hopefully I can join this forum shortly as a new Syncro driver! otherwise I'll have to find a way to get rid of this fever :D

Cheers! Misha (Netherlands)

Syncrobaz
80-90 Mem No: 10610

Re: Introduction

Post by Syncrobaz »

Welcome :ok There's no cure I'm afraid :roll:

Rot is a common problem but can be cured, sounds like the difflock pipes are the wrong way round (easy fix).

Does it have a front difflock ? (essential) Good luck :)
Syncronaut no 152
92 RHD mv panel van
94 RHD jx doka 16"

Dai
80-90 Mem No: 288

Post by Dai »

Welcome in Misha :ok

Misha wrote:Hi everybody,

The car has some typical t3 rust problems. The rear windows have rust spots (ca. 2 inch square) are these easy to repair? The pannel behind de front bumper doesn't look to healty eather (along the entire with of the vehicle) are these big repairs? There is also one technical problem that I stumbled on... the rear difflock key/button works the wrong way round... pulling in out is disengaging, pushing it in is engaging the difflock... (?) Wired the wrong way round? Besides that the car looks quite allright. Although I haven't tested / checked the car on more of the mechanical parts (which I will do next time) i think this is all quite in order. The cars has been serviced by a garage and hasn't seen much offroad (none is more likely given the state of the underside)
Any ideas about how much I Syncro like this should cost? (given my description)

Well, so far my short introduction! Hopefully I can join this forum shortly as a new Syncro driver! otherwise I'll have to find a way to get rid of this fever :D

Cheers! Misha (Netherlands)

the diff lock problem is easy to cure,just swap the vacuum pipes around on the actuator,(E D I T....syncrobaz beat me to it :D )as for a price................Photos may help ,but it sounds like its had a fair bit of modification so it hard to say......whats the asking price?

Might be worth PMing Dutchdude he may be near you
80-90 No.....288
Syncro No.....52

EJ25 Syncro van with Reimo/Dubteriors conversion
daisyncro@gmail.com

Cableguy
80-90 Mem No: 8585

Post by Cableguy »

Hi there, I can't help with the syncro info unfortunately, but I can offer some advice regarding the 2.8 v6 you have. I had one in my van. Honestly I would be very very cautious. They run very hot. Mine overheated several times. I now have a tdi!
Yes it had plenty of power, but these engines can be a nightmare. Look on any of the Capri/Granada club sites. There's loads of threads about overheating. That's with the engine in the front where they get lots of cool air. Stick it in the back and it gets worse.
I know someone else with the same conversion and he had the same trouble. Now factor in that it's a syncro and if you're offloading, it's going to get plenty of abuse. Could get nasty.
I was gutted to lose mine as I'm really a petrol head. If it was me, I'd pull it out and swap for something else.
Sorry :(

Oh and I was getting 20mpg on a run, way less when hoofing it.
Was serviced and tuned by a proper garage who knew the engines inside out.

oorwullie

Post by oorwullie »

i think it's more likely to be a vw vr6 rather than a ford lump, but ye nivver know. :wink:
ochaye thenoojimmyhaudmaheedtillastickmabunnetoanit

Misha

Post by Misha »

Thanks for all the advice and warnings! Its MOST definitely not a VR 6 (wish it was! :lol: ) The Ford V6 stories are a bit worrying... It is making me second guessing this Syncro... hmm.. what to do! There aren't much around that fit my budget... considering is has to be a poptop. Haven't got any pics at the moment, bus asking price is €12500,- Maybe my question should have been: How much Sycnro does €12000,- get me?! (realizing there's no real answer to that question as well.)
Getting the Syncro Virus is easy, getting a proper Syncro is an entirely different thing! We'll see how things work out with this Syncro, otherwise i'll just have te be more patient :cry:

Cheers! Misha

syncrowjoker
80-90 Mem No: 2502

Post by syncrowjoker »

Be PATIENT the right one is out there, just takes time :ok
AKA Syncrostan

oorwullie

Post by oorwullie »

if it's a ford v6 i'd be more than sceptical. :P

be patient, the one for you is out there somewhere.

last year there was a swiss kid looking for one @ about €5k, street legal.

lots of people laffed, but believe it or not he found it! 8)
ochaye thenoojimmyhaudmaheedtillastickmabunnetoanit

Cableguy
80-90 Mem No: 8585

Post by Cableguy »

Sorry to put a downer on your find.
Some More info if it helps.
This was a very popular conversion in the early 90's. My van had 3 of these engines. The original was done in 1993 and the van has done nearly 300k km on them. Trouble is they are only good for 60-70k before things get tired.
The major problem is a total lack of spares. There's one place in the uk that holds some good used spares and know the engines really well, but when I went there it was just 2 blokes in a barn.
When I rang the main dealer for something, I was told that Frod don't keep any spares at all, nothing.
Even the Devon farmer/delivery boy has new VW spares in his unit:-)

lsidir

Post by lsidir »

Hi Misha,

given that the import costs in the Netherlands are very low, maybe you should also expand your search to Germany too.

I am currently in Amsterdam, so if you need a second pair of eyes maybe I can help you.

lefteris
Lefteris
16" Panel 1.6TD 1991

Misha

Post by Misha »

Thanks again for the advice and the welcoming. I suppose being patient and keep waiting behind the computer for a new ad to show up is the best thing to do right now... truely a practice in patience!

Leaving the Ford is probably the wised thing to do...

Keep you posted!

@lefteris, I'm scanning all German sites daily! But it would be very nice to have second pair of trained eyes when I find one. I'm in Helmond but visit Amsterdam often.

Syncrobaz
80-90 Mem No: 10610

Post by Syncrobaz »

It took me more than 3 yrs searching for the right one at the right price !!! :roll:

Had it over 4 yrs now and don't regret a single thing !! :ok
Syncronaut no 152
92 RHD mv panel van
94 RHD jx doka 16"

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Misha wrote: Special thanks to Jed's campervanculture, that realy gave me the syncro-fever! :ok

:oops:

Have you ever considered an Iveco 4x4? They are pretty nice and a lot of van for the money, been admiring them over the last few months.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

Misha

Post by Misha »

Nah... Iveco's certainley look cool but are a bit to heavy and bulky for me.. besides It won't fit my garage :D I'll stick to my Syncro fever, getting used to it now!

Misha

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Misha wrote:Nah... Iveco's certainley look cool but are a bit to heavy and bulky for me.. besides It won't fit my garage :D I'll stick to my Syncro fever, getting used to it now!

Misha

Correct answer :ok

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More