difflock actuator question now sorted thanks guys

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

slippy8v
80-90 Mem No: 8868

difflock actuator question now sorted thanks guys

Post by slippy8v »

As the vans nearly finished I needed some info ref the difflock actuators.
When i first went to see the van i checked the that both difflock lights came on blinking and the on for engaged which they did.
with the van being worked at over the past few months i did not check them again until this week.
front comes on ok but the rear did not blink or light when the knob was pulled,so it looks like its just stuck through lack of use,
kept the knob out last night and when i came to turn the van on today to work at her guess what the rear diff lock lit up,so heres the question.

By keeping the rear knob pulled out will the vacuum in the system engage the difflock when she was sitting overnight?

I think that it must have so it can't be to badly stuck, i have now removed the switch on the actuator and poured some gear oil into the hole to soak over night.
Will check again tomorrow to see if has freed up any,if not will just remove the actuator and free it.
Last edited by slippy8v on 21 Dec 2013, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
1967 RHD WALKTHROUGH SPLITSCREEN
1971 RHD BAY
1993 MK1 GTI CABBY RIVAGE
1989 T25 KOMET
1991 T25 SYNCRO PANEL VAN

PetenAli
80-90 Mem No: 8569

Re: difflock actuator question

Post by PetenAli »

There's a lot of people on here much more knowledgeable than me but here's what I think should happen...

Only the front diff lock light should flash when the switch is pulled and before the locker engages. The flashing light tells you that the switch is pulled but the locker has not engaged. Once it engages the light comes on solid. This is a safety feature so that a sticky front locker doesn't come on all of a sudden when you are doing 65 down the motorway or going round a roundabout in the dry!

The rear one shouldn't flash but just come on when you pull the switch and when it engages - therefore it is possible to have the switch pulled but no light on which is how you can tell whether or not its working.

The reason for this difference is that you can do more damage to your truck with the front locker on and potentially more damage to yourself if it comes on in the dry without warning. The rear locker is not quite so critical although clearly you don't want to be driving on a hard surface with it on.

Hope this helps. Others will probably have more definitive info.

Pete
1987 Westy Syncro 2.5 DJ (Courtesy of 025MOTORSPORT)

Syncronaut #171

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Post by syncropaddy »

You cant engage the diff locks when the van is not moving!
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

slippy8v

Post by slippy8v »

Ah ha the mechanic had been setting the lights in the workshop then moved her back into the yard,so with the rear difflock knob out its engaged,so when i checked her the next day thats why it was showing engaged. now will have to move her bit to see if it will disengage.It all becomes clearer lol
1971 RHD BAY
1989 T25 KOMET

slippy8v

Post by slippy8v »

Called in this morning,started her up and drove her back and forth gave a few jerks on the clutch and the rear diff is now working freely yee haa, can't have been to bad and the overnight soak must have been all it needed,I'm very sad but 2 green lights look well lol.
1971 RHD BAY
1989 T25 KOMET

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Re: difflock actuator question now sorted thanks guys

Post by syncropaddy »

Both lockers were working well when I drove the van a while back.
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship