This will get a few of you excited!!

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Peninsulakid
80-90 Mem No: 8867

This will get a few of you excited!!

Post by Peninsulakid »

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Volkswagen-T3-Sy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 51b6a6c293
:D :D

Wish I had the cash spare
PeninsulaKid

New vans are great but they just ain't got no soul!

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: This will get a few of you excited!!

Post by max and caddy »

Not working...summats up..

Peninsulakid
80-90 Mem No: 8867

Post by Peninsulakid »

Apologies try this

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Volkswagen-T3-Sy ... 51b6a6c293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:ok
PeninsulaKid

New vans are great but they just ain't got no soul!

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Nice colour!
:ok

zippyslug31
80-90 Mem No: 25858

Post by zippyslug31 »

I was just thinking to myself how lucky you guys are for having (relatively) easy access to vehicles from Germany, Norway, etc. I believe it would cost prohibitive to import something like this into the US.
This make me wonder... exactly how easy/difficult is it to bring something like this into the UK from another country?

Dutchdude
80-90 Mem No: 206

Post by Dutchdude »

Once a vehicle is registered in a EU country, you can register it in any EU country without paying import duties and import it. They HAVE to allow it in. So relatively easy compared to bringing it into the US. I imported mine from Finland. Drove it back to Holland myself and registered it here, it had to undergo a technical inspection though, but that goes for every vehicle on the road.
1991 Syncro Westy 16"
1990 Westy California
2003 Karmann Colorado 580H
1990 Golf mark 2

xriss
80-90 Mem No: 1926

Post by xriss »

unless your in belgium where i hear there is no techenical inspection for cars over 25 recent change in law
& i hear its crazy tax in holland now for older cars...i kind of role reversal it seems as belgium was really tight on tax and technecal control etc etc slug you might want to have a word with jeff here http://www.autostadtwest.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; he will give you the lowdown on all thats required :)
80-90 Mem#:1926
Syncronaut Mem#:66

Winchweight
80-90 Mem No: 12697

Post by Winchweight »

Dutchdude wrote:Once a vehicle is registered in a EU country, you can register it in any EU country without paying import duties and import it. They HAVE to allow it in. So relatively easy compared to bringing it into the US. I imported mine from Finland. Drove it back to Holland myself and registered it here, it had to undergo a technical inspection though, but that goes for every vehicle on the road.

I'm afraid thats a nice idea but doesn't happen in practice. My mate has a T5 Cali and moved from Germany to Spain. The authorities have just charged him £5k import dutries and fined him for non payment within 6 months of arrival.

Spain may be acting as a law unto themselves but they charge import duties on vehicles (new or old), even if registered previously in the EU: fact.
http://www.thelittleredbus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka - SOLD
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper

jes*b
80-90 Mem No: 10335

Post by jes*b »

When importing a used vehicle into Uk there is no VAT to pay as if car was registered in another EU country then it is assumed that VAT was paid at source. Obviously if this is supported by relevant documents ( eg equiv to v5 ) then so much the better. However there has been a recent change in that to register a car in uk you must complete the relevant DVLA paperwork ( ALL regional offices now closed - only Swansea remains!) you must now also have a NOVA ( notification of vehicle arrival - 14 days to do this or £5/ day fine ) reference number from Customs and Excise - you cannot get a reg number without it. The NOVA form can be completed on line and is laborious but straight forward. It confirms the fact that there is no VAT due.

In answer to the T5 that incurred costs into Spain - maybe car was 'new' or the costs were a Spanish charge - not necessarily VAT but something regional ?

xriss
80-90 Mem No: 1926

Post by xriss »

and if its ten or younger you will need a sva now thats a whole bunch of fun n games unless you can provide a coc :)
80-90 Mem#:1926
Syncronaut Mem#:66

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

Dutchdude wrote:Once a vehicle is registered in a EU country, you can register it in any EU country without paying import duties and import it. They HAVE to allow it in.

Not quite so easy. It has to conform to local standards, and pass the local safety test - which varies from EU country to EU country. Any local registration tax has to be paid, too.

To import into the UK, you have have to be able to produce the certificate of conformity (if it's a less than 10yo vehicle) or have a UK MOT for it, and the registration fee is just £55. Other countries are large %ages of value.

No EU country will allow you to use a foreign registered vehicle for more than six months, nor do they allow residents to use foreign-registered vehicles (with a few exceptions).
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Post by syncropaddy »

Dutchdude wrote:Once a vehicle is registered in a EU country, you can register it in any EU country without paying import duties and import it. They HAVE to allow it in.

The words 'import duties' are now called 'registration taxes' and there are some European countries which charge huge taxes to register vehicles bought abroad - Ireland being one of them where a ten year old car could cost 30% of its value in tax to import and register it and it is an offence to import and not register it!!
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Post by syncropaddy »

The words 'import duties' are now called 'registration taxes' and there are some European countries which charge huge taxes to register vehicles bought abroad - Ireland being one of them where a ten year old car could cost 30% of its value in tax to import and register it and it is an offence to import and not register it!!
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

Winchweight
80-90 Mem No: 12697

Post by Winchweight »

My mate with the T5 California also had to get a a Spanish certificate of conformity for his pop top as the ITV (MOT) inspector wouldn't accept it was an original factory fit! :zip
http://www.thelittleredbus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka - SOLD
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper