Why do people want to build their own Syncros?

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Why do people want to build their own Syncros?

Post by tforturton »

There are a couple of threads on here at the moment, where people are asking questions regarding the conversion of a 2WD T25 into a 4WD T25 - basically, a fake Syncro. I can't understand why anyone would go to all that trouble and expense, when they could buy one quite easily. Is it the 'built it myself' aspect that appeals, or do they genuinely think that they can do it themselves more cheaply than buying a real one? And even if they succeed, it's never going to be a real one, is it?
I don't want to knock anyone's hard work and effort, but it doesn't make sense to me.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

syncrowjoker
80-90 Mem No: 2502

Re: Why do people want to build their own Syncros?

Post by syncrowjoker »

Makes sense to me, I would like a Westy high top syncro, 1.9TDI, they never existed, but a nice 2WD high top California TD can be had for £7500, syncronise, TDI conversion, should be doable for under £15000? Simple :ok
AKA Syncrostan

poshbuggers
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by poshbuggers »

Having owned one I don't see the problem.

There are rotten Syncro's out there that could be transfered into 2wd bodies much easier than restoration.

My old 2wd-4wd crewcab 'fake' was every bit as capable as a 'real' Syncro and was built like a factory model. There aren't many parts that don't just bolt on so it's not like it's a cut and shut.

If you have the time and skill it's a great way to upgrade. I see the sense in converting a high spec 2wd to Syncro. Buying something like a Syncro Multivan/Westy can be done for a lot less than buying a factory made one. And as said above, you get to build a RHD version.

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

I don't think there is any great saving to be had in converting a 2WD to 4wd. The advantage would be having a huge selection of 2wd westys to choose from compared the amount of genuine westy Syncros available.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Its not particularly about the savings (if any) its about the base vehicle..
ive owned my caravelle for 14 years.. its so solid.. and I wouldnt be able to buy a syncro in such solid condition for the price of the conversion sale of my velle.. + I dont wan tto sell my velle.. I know whwt would happen if I did someone would hack it about and fit a high top... badly....

its about an individual choice and requirement..

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

Okay, maybe it's just my lack of knowledge as to the difficulties of building your own. Got to admit I thought the chassis of a Syncro was a much more complex issue than that of a 2WD. If it's a "simple" bolt-on conversion, then I can see the advantages.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

poshbuggers
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by poshbuggers »

Not completely bolt-on.

The steering rack mounting has to be cut out and the replacement welded in, also the fuel filler grafted into the rear quarter.

There are a few holes to be drilled to mount the front subframe, but some are there already.

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)