Turning into a Syncro

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

EmmanouelGR
80-90 Mem No: 12490

Turning into a Syncro

Post by EmmanouelGR »

Good morning to all, I have an air cooled Transporter 2000cc with twin carbs. How easy is to turn it into a syncro, keeping if it is possible the same engine, or find a complete modification package.
Thank you in advance.
Emmanuel
VW Transporter Van mod' 1982 air cooled 1925cc two carbs SOLEX 34 PDSIT 2/3, 4speed manual gearbox

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Re: Turning into a Syncro

Post by toomanytoys »

There are a few conversion therads on here.. and in principal it isnt that difficult.. you would need all the syncro front subframe and suspension etc efc..
I dont know tho if the early chassis will have the right mouning holes or even if there are any major strenght changes on the later chassis.. of course heating duct has to go.. plus many other early/later chassis diferences etc..
Engine wise.. yes. You could use the existing engine.. but.. you are gonna have to sort out the tinware sealing issue as the syncro transmissionand dive train sits 50mm lower from the chassis..
Thats just a breif outline of some of the issues..

Jason (Hugomonkey) from denmark can supply a kit of parts if you cant find it locally..

It will be a lot of work.. but would be pretty unique..

EmmanouelGR
80-90 Mem No: 12490

Post by EmmanouelGR »

Thank you for all the guide lines. I try to both local market and the store you post.
I believe that my chassis have the appropriate mounting mean because a couple of years after my father buy the van, the VW Firm create the Syncro, in case of not having the mounting places can i find any dimensions etc for that kind of work?
VW Transporter Van mod' 1982 air cooled 1925cc two carbs SOLEX 34 PDSIT 2/3, 4speed manual gearbox

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

Sounds like a whole lot of work to me!
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

KarlT
80-90 Mem No: 2266

Post by KarlT »

Like the idea of an Aircooled syncro! 8)
Would be interesting to find out if the bolt-holes/planning was there from the beginning.

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

EmmanouelGR wrote:Thank you for all the guide lines. I try to both local market and the store you post.
I believe that my chassis have the appropriate mounting mean because a couple of years after my father buy the van, the VW Firm create the Syncro, in case of not having the mounting places can i find any dimensions etc for that kind of work?
My caravelle is an early watercooled (1983) so I will have a look undrr it to orrow and check out if that has some of the holes..

poshbuggers
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by poshbuggers »

Should be possible, and VW did Syncro the Bay before the T3 so it has some kudos as an 'inbetweener'.

Be interested to see what work will be required on an early Aircooled bus.

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)