Rear diff inop

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Tufty_B
80-90 Mem No: 13025

Rear diff inop

Post by Tufty_B »

I've found a syncro for sale that seems to meet most of my needs (I'm hoping to go and see it in about a week's time). One issue is that it only has one locking diff (rear) which was rarely used and does now not engage. I'm guessing that the issue is at the diff end, are these fairly easy to free off or is it likely to be more serious?

Thanks in advance for responses.
Mike

The robots are coming.

(1990 Westy Syncro 2.1 DJ - Converted from a Caravelle)

ratinyho
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Rear diff inop

Post by ratinyho »

Mike i've just done this job on both my front and rear boxes. I'm not sure but i think the rear can be done with the box in situ (i was swapping mine over so did it on the bench).

Good article here..

http://www.syncro.org/DiffLock.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Number 7 is the most likely cause if it hasn't been used in a while.

There is also a good vid somewhere of Jed doing the job on the front diff but i can't seem to find it again now..? It's essentially the same job as the rear though as far as the locking pin and vacum actuator etc are concerned

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Tufty_B wrote:I've found a syncro for sale that seems to meet most of my needs (I'm hoping to go and see it in about a week's time). One issue is that it only has one locking diff (rear) which was rarely used and does now not engage. I'm guessing that the issue is at the diff end, are these fairly easy to free off or is it likely to be more serious?

Thanks in advance for responses.

A Syncro only really needs a rear locker from what I have found, I might have used my front twice in the years I owned it. The rear locker is pretty easy to free off and sort. Take the diff lock switch out (the same as a reverse light switch only on the other side above the actuator) pop some gear oil in the hole then it is just a case of tapping the pin in and out a good few times with a thin bar or screw driver through the locking pin so it doesn't get whacked to far in and gets stuck on the first tap.

You best get starting on a beard if you haven't got one yet :ok

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

Tufty_B
80-90 Mem No: 13025

Post by Tufty_B »

jed the spread wrote: You best get starting on a beard if you haven't got one yet :ok

Jed

Thanks for the info.

Oops, I knew I shouldn't have had a shave this morning.
I've plenty of hammers to fix stuff, so that's the grunt sorted, the beard would have helped with the knowledge - a quick stroke and the ideas should start flowing ;)
Mike

The robots are coming.

(1990 Westy Syncro 2.1 DJ - Converted from a Caravelle)

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

You will fit right in :ok

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More