value and valuations

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

value and valuations

Post by axeman »

given what has happened to me in the past few days, has had me wondering what the insurance company would have paid out if my doka was not recovered. i dont want to think about the how the insurance company would have tried to wriggle out of paying! as the doka is on a commercial policy they dont offer an agreed value, how ever i did manage to have it worded that they would pay market value and they agreed the value of £7k as stated on the policy document.
do we have any one that would be able in the uk or as a club that would be able to give valuations that the insurance companies would accept?

neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: value and valuations

Post by silverbullet »

Any valuation might well have to be given by a registered motor trader or member of the SMMT (society of motor manufacturers and traders) I would have thought that whoever gives a valuation would have to be prepared to submit some sort of report to validate any claim, as well as prove their credentials to the insurers. T2OC used to be the source for such things, iirc you had to pay a fee and it was all done by one person, by booked appointment and you had to travel to them (rightly so) unless it was at a show.

Definitely needs looking at and discussing with some urgency, the way that values of T3's are going.

slippy8v
80-90 Mem No: 8868

Post by slippy8v »

i know not t25 but i have a MK1 GTI Golf Rivage the last of the MK1'S lots of pics and a few show trophies, got a guaranteed valuation based on the info I supplied and a letter from my local VW club confirming the cars rarity and what if would cost to replace.The insurance company where happy with this and covered what i felt the car was worth. Perhaps the main insurers used by club members could be contacted to do something similar, perhaps they already do. At the moment the syncros on the same policy and valued at £5000 once the work is finish i will provide an update up on the valuation.
1967 RHD WALKTHROUGH SPLITSCREEN
1971 RHD BAY
1993 MK1 GTI CABBY RIVAGE
1989 T25 KOMET
1991 T25 SYNCRO PANEL VAN

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

So if the club appoints an "expert" to confirm what you have and what it's realistically worth (always a tricky one for the owners of the rare or obscure) we could be onto a winner.

Maybe this topic needs to be linked across into Chat or Member's to open up the discussion?

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Steve shaw valued mine.And it was accepted by my insurers.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

I've done loads.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

axeman wrote:given what has happened to me in the past few days, has had me wondering what the insurance company would have paid out if my doka was not recovered. i dont want to think about the how the insurance company would have tried to wriggle out of paying! as the doka is on a commercial policy they dont offer an agreed value, how ever i did manage to have it worded that they would pay market value and they agreed the value of £7k as stated on the policy document.
do we have any one that would be able in the uk or as a club that would be able to give valuations that the insurance companies would accept?

neil

From the info I have gained over the last few years yours is like mine and you use yours for work. Its a commercial policy and can not get classic car insurance so can not get an agreed valuation and you will be given the Glass Guide. As it isnt in the guide any more you will probably get the £500 you paid for it and if you hit someone or they hit you, unless you have included all of your structural or other changes that are not factory (extra rear door, Sikel Springs, OME shocks, de-coupler, volvo engine, Tri star interior, gas heater that isnt certified etc etc...) that make it more attractive to a thief or not.

I have my Westy insured with Glynwoods and I let the insurance run out and renewed it a month or so after it ran out because I was to busy to use it during last summer. That ment that even though I was going through the same broker and the same insurance company I had to get the usual proof of valuation from a recognized T3 affiliated company, with 6 pictures of the outside on all four sides, the interior and one of the engine and milage per year under 10,000.

With out the above I would guess your policy isnt worth a toss and pray you dont ever hit any one. If you put a claim in for the work to your van after your lucky escape I reckon they might right your Doka off.

Just a heads up, my insurance company did read this forum before they would insure me again and asked a lot of questions and I had to sign a disclaimer to say I wouldn't drive it off road. I sent them a signed letter for what they required and included their wishes that I would not drive my vehicle off a public highway open to traffic :wink:

Hope this helps.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

cleagarr
80-90 Mem No: 11523

Post by cleagarr »

R0B wrote:Steve shaw valued mine.And it was accepted by my insurers.

Hi Rob,

Can I ask what this entails? How much did it cost? Who are the insurers?

The thought of mine getting knocked petrified me especially given how much extra dish I've spent on LPG, Sterling, new fridge etc.

Cheers

Chris
All I ask is for the chance to prove that money won't make me happy.

1989 Transporter 1.6TD original engine.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Steve gave me a valuation on gasure headed paper.I had to send six different photos of the van to my insurers.can't remember how much Steve charged me,but it wasn't a lot.I am insured through glynwood.You would have to pay Steve a visit obviously.Hope this helps.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

cleagarr
80-90 Mem No: 11523

Post by cleagarr »

R0B wrote:Steve gave me a valuation on gasure headed paper.I had to send six different photos of the van to my insurers.can't remember how much Steve charged me,but it wasn't a lot.I am insured through glynwood.You would have to pay Steve a visit obviously.Hope this helps.

It does - thanks Rob. As it happens I'm booked in for a service to the LPG in two weeks. Will discuss with him then.

Cheers
All I ask is for the chance to prove that money won't make me happy.

1989 Transporter 1.6TD original engine.

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Club valuations have been discussed a few times and different events.. Well.. I know I have asked and discussed it several times..

Like with a the tracker and security devices.. it comes up and then disappears...

Maybe, just maybe we should make a bit more effort to put something in place..

Maybe just maybe we can get an insurance company to talk to us and get a policy organised that covers a bit more than the general classic/camper type policy.. or at least give a couple of add ons ...

There are enough members of 80-90... so surely the amount of biz we could command would be worth it..

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

I owned a Lotus Europa and Club Lotus did the valuation from 5 photos each corner and inside and a description of work done. Footman James insurance. Never had a problem.
2.1 Twin slider