Volvo B23 conversion. Panel van

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sclarke7171
80-90 Mem No: 0

Volvo B23 conversion. Panel van

Post by sclarke7171 »

Guys.
Googled my heart out and found a few conversions.
But most are Doka's

Has anyone done a panelvan syncro?

My back ground. I've played with Volvo's for 20 years.
I've got a tired WBX syncro and I don't want a suby conversion. As they are common.

So I want to know if anyone has done a panelvan.
I really don't want to cut the rear panel. So a remote water pump will be used.

I'm also going to lay the engine over more to try to get it into the engine bay. Mod the sump and pickup to get the oil up and around.
I'll inject it and make a custom manifold up to keep it low.

So if you have links and where I can get conversion kits that would be most loved.

Ohh I'm in Australia. But that should make no difference. Except I have a rust free beast. :)

Steve
1991 Syncro, Panel Van
1996 Volvo 850R Estate
2011 VW Amarok
1972 Porsche 914
1996 Ducati SS

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Volvo B23 conversion. Panel van

Post by silverbullet »

One for the Axeman. He's all over the Prancing Moose forum scene :wink:

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Ha ha ha.. nice one.. but I think it will be a challenge.. I think the conversion kits only come in upright so buying a kit wont help laying it down.. think you will be making it all from scratch... or use the kit and make a box to cover the engine..
Subaru conversion might be more common.. but it does work quite well.. and all the bits are available..
Axemans volvo conversion in the doka does work very well.. but plenty of height for it. Been thinking about volvoing mine... .

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Post by axeman »

hi there steve
a little history, i had a mv wbx which was working fine but had very low oil pressure. and i was looking for something to replace it with, at the time i could not afford a subaru. there were no wbx rebuilders at the time who i felt i could trust, in my early 20's around 2000 i moved to norway to work on a dairy farm (long story) where i would say 60% of private cars are volvo's, most of which at the time had a B18/B20/B21/B23(0) being 240/740/940 model. i did know much about volvos at the time having only driven vw's and saab's before then. but after being given access to several of them to drive when i needed/wanted i was quickly sold on them, the my personal favourite being a very bright (when new) 1978 242 delux with over 600,000km on the clock and still drove perfectly. once i discovered that it was an option for my syncro it was a no brainer.

this is where i sourced my conversion parts (sweden). delivered to the uk for around £400. the adapter plate is dowled and designed for all B series engines and a volvo (and i think vw) diesle. i had to wait for a week or 2 as he had to make the kit

http://www.smt.nu/default.asp?Expand=2&Display=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here is my thread that started when i was fitting the engine.

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... t=busy+day" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

since then i have ditched the pirberg 175 cd as i could not get my head around it, it's a very complex SU. and have replaced it with a webber dtrl 32 36. which made a dramatic improvement to the economy and the performance. i have also replaced the points to a volvo electronic ignition, and replaced the silencer to a motorcycle one which is probably quarter of the weight and i bit more discrete. and i sourced a JX air filter and used it, other than that it's been oil and filter changes.

i like the idea of the remote water pump, it would save the chopping of the rear valence, but this dose make cam belt changes and over all general maintenance very easy, i would also be intrested to see how you remove the water pump and replace it with some kind of spigot.
i will look in the morning but i thing that in a syncro (engine and box being 50mm lower) if you can loose the oil filler cap on the rocker box you may able to fit it in blow the hatch, if you were to use a later engine with the dizzy located on the end of the cam shaft i am sure that you could use dizzy bank as a oil filler location.
rather than reinventing the wheel i would look at the SA raised hatch and you could save your self a lot of work, and install the engine as it is designed, i dont know what engine codes are available in OZ but in europe all engines after 1990 were turbo charged and if mounted upright it would be very easy install one of these engines, but you would have to charge cool it rather than inter cool it.

if you want any more info let me know.

neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

sclarke7171

Post by sclarke7171 »

Axeman, thank you.

My background. I've been a volvo idiot for 25 years. Had everything from 140's to V40
I've rallied a 164 and 244. I've played a lot with b21-b230. So this will be easy.
Australia has Euro spec cars. 140hp B23's with H & K cams. Power is no issue. :D

But I won't to keep it stealth. I've contacted Gosta at SMT. He's helping me out.
I'm thinking of laying it over more to get it under the engine cover. So I'll mod the sump and pickup.

Looks like I might be the 1st to lay it down. So to say.
I read your thread. Thank you. Was very informative.

When I start, I'll post my progress. Will be a future project as my WBX is still breathing.

Regards
Steve
1991 Syncro, Panel Van
1996 Volvo 850R Estate
2011 VW Amarok
1972 Porsche 914
1996 Ducati SS

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

I have helped out working on Neil's red block doka a few times. I can't think of any reason why the SMT adaptor can't be re-drilled at the appropriate angle to get it under the hatch in a van or bus i.e. "clocked" with a wedged sump. IIRC they are drilled for 2 angles anyway.

The crankcase breather, dizzy and inlet side will be up top so it shouldn't aspirate oil. Good quality poly sealant on the sump and cam cover, it's won't weep oil.

Job's a good'un. I'd like to see the finished result :ok

sclarke7171

Post by sclarke7171 »

silverbullet wrote:I have helped out working on Neil's red block doka a few times. I can't think of any reason why the SMT adaptor can't be re-drilled at the appropriate angle to get it under the hatch in a van or bus i.e. "clocked" with a wedged sump. IIRC they are drilled for 2 angles anyway.

The crankcase breather, dizzy and inlet side will be up top so it shouldn't aspirate oil. Good quality poly sealant on the sump and cam cover, it's won't weep oil.

Job's a good'un. I'd like to see the finished result :ok

Yes that's my thoughts.
I have to get it engineered here so I'll have to make it look pretty.

Steve
1991 Syncro, Panel Van
1996 Volvo 850R Estate
2011 VW Amarok
1972 Porsche 914
1996 Ducati SS