VC "bypass operation"...

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

SYNCRO-VIKING
80-90 Mem No: 0

VC "bypass operation"...

Post by SYNCRO-VIKING »

Carrying on from my previous VC post:

Also at busschmiede.de I read that it is possible to bypass the VC completely and make a modification to manually select 4WD - is that something anyone here has tried and/or would recommend? If it is relevant, my Syncro only has rear diff lock.

If so, could one drive it permanently as 4WD without any serious or abnormal wear and tear problems on transmission parts?
Maybe de-select 4WD for motorways and main roads but I live in the mountains and now do almost all my driving locally.

- What parts would be required for such a modification?

- Approx how much would they cost?

- Could any "normal" mechanic perform the work?

Thank you for your time,
SYNCRO - 253 297 - 1.6TD - June 1992

lhd
80-90 Mem No: 1808

Re: VC "bypass operation"...

Post by lhd »

To have permenant 4Wd and remove the VC you will ned a decoupler which is around the same price as a refurbed VC, you will also need to purchase the piece that makes it work.
decoupler around €650, other piece "I think" is around €200.
Rob.

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

If you live near a desert or snow covered roads or in a country with dirt roads and where its never dry.. then a billet shaft instead of a vc would be ok a lot of the time..
Its a question that causes massive debate.. so be prepared to see some flip side comments here shortly..

For me.. it depends o how you are going to use the truck..
I have a slightly tight vc and a decoupler.. the tight vc works in slippy conditiond real well. And can still be driven n higher traction surfaces without breaking stuff... but in the middle of summer hitting the motorway and traveling for hours and hours I can decouple and not load up the transmission ...

I kinda got my decoupler by default.. I didnt set out to buy one.. but it came via a deal I had going on.. I didnt install it for 2 years.. ha ha ha...
Now.. I wouldnt be without it.. it suits what I want.. others will dissagree.. its almost a free country.. ha ha ha....
If a refurbed vc had come in the deal.. that would have been installed in stead...

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

If you live near a desert or snow covered roads or in a country with dirt roads and where its never dry.. then a billet shaft instead of a vc would be ok a lot of the time..
Its a question that causes massive debate.. so be prepared to see some flip side comments here shortly..

For me.. it depends o how you are going to use the truck..
I have a slightly tight vc and a decoupler.. the tight vc works in slippy conditiond real well. And can still be driven n higher traction surfaces without breaking stuff... but in the middle of summer hitting the motorway and traveling for hours and hours I can decouple and not load up the transmission ...

I kinda got my decoupler by default.. I didnt set out to buy one.. but it came via a deal I had going on.. I didnt install it for 2 years.. ha ha ha...
Now.. I wouldnt be without it.. it suits what I want.. others will dissagree.. its almost a free country.. ha ha ha....
If a refurbed vc had come in the deal.. that would have been installed in stead...

SYNCRO-VIKING
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by SYNCRO-VIKING »

Thank you to lhd and toomanytoys.

I now see on Bernd Jaeger's website that he personally prefers a selectable solution as he finds that on sand the rear wheels dig in before the VC really wakes up BUT he also warns that on normal roads one should de-select, that is, rear wheel drive only, this to avoid excessive wear and tear on various transmission parts.
Also, the kit is not exactly cheap: around 1,200 Euros or approx 1,000 quid - see here:
http://www.vw-t3-bus-shop.de/eng/syncro ... ction.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, I shall get a "new" factory-spec refurbished VC at 600 Euros less 250 Euros in exchange for the old one (this deal assumes that the casing has no cracks or repairs, the bits inside do not matter for the refund) and I think 350 Euros is a reasonable deal - a brand-new VC is priced here at 1,600 Euros!! That is about half what I paid for my entire Syncro (3,500 Euros)...

Today my Bulgarian mechanic looked over the English version of BJs site and was very impressed, as I was yesterday, by realising that just about everything you might want for your T3 is readily available, but naturally at a price. BJ also has a used parts shop elsewhere in Germany, separate link on the website, see here:
http://www.vw-t3-bus-shop.de/eng/used-parts/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I shall report back when my new VC is installed and the 15 inch MB alloy wheels have been fitted with some knobbly grippy tyres.
Meanwhile, keep on trucking everybody.
Best regards from Bulgaria,
SYNCRO - 253 297 - 1.6TD - June 1992