VC - refill or refurbish or replace?

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

SYNCRO-VIKING
80-90 Mem No: 0

VC - refill or refurbish or replace?

Post by SYNCRO-VIKING »

Hello again everyone -

VC this time (1992 T3 Syncro 1.6TD, 203,000 km):

1. As I understand it, normally the problem is that the VC is too tight, however mine is too "loose" in that it works, at least a bit, when my mechanic does the workshop test with VC in situ, that is, blocking wheels as required, but in real life, on muddy tracks and wet grass it only drives the rear wheels.
Is this typical for VC fluid past its useful life? In that case it might be worth just replacing the fluid.

My local mechanic will charge me c 100 € for removing the VC, replacing the fluid, and refitting the VC - but there is no guarantee that it will be any improvement, so maybe necessitating repeating the whole procedure, at another 100 €...
Also, as I understand it, the amount of fluid in the VC is absolutely critical to normal performance, I have read that as little as half a gram too much or too little makes a difference... (How can anyone measure it so accurately anyway unless you work in laboratory conditions???)

2. So, I am leaning towards simply buying a new VC, have seen them on Bernd Jaeger's website for 600 € (less 250 € for the old one in exchange).
And on busschmiede.de they have the same exchange deal BUT the new one costs 762 € !!!
Does anyone know of a better deal maybe in the UK?

Thank you for your time,
SYNCRO - 253 297 - 1.6TD - June 1992

lhd
80-90 Mem No: 1808

Re: VC - refill or refurbish or replace?

Post by lhd »

A correctly working VC will only work when the rear wheels are slipping, so unless you spin the rear wheels it will not engage.
Rob.

ratinyho
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by ratinyho »

2. So, I am leaning towards simply buying a new VC, have seen them on Bernd Jaeger's website for 600 € (less 250 € for the old one in exchange).

Looking at his site.... Is that not 599euro including the 250 discount though?..or plus the discount without a return visco? It's heard to tell from the translation?

Al Housman
80-90 Mem No: 11858

Post by Al Housman »

Yes there's a deposit of 250 euros on top of your 599.