14" or 16"?

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Tufty_B
80-90 Mem No: 13025

14" or 16"?

Post by Tufty_B »

Hello everyone, I've been lurking on here for a few months ever since seeing one of Jed's videos, I think it was 'Syncro Dartmoor Weekend with Flyonix' which I came across whilst toying of selling my Golf (we also have a Touran for family trips) and getting two vehicles, a VW camper and a 4x4, but once I had watched that video I was hooked on the T3/T25 syncro. Reading previous posts it seems Jed has a lot to answer for.

I have a few question before I make the leap.

I have been undecided on whether I'd prefer a Doka (as i like the look) or a camper, but with a wife and three kids and the possibility of using this instead of the Touran for our family trips, I think the Doka is a no-go because that would be too cramped on long journeys. Can three kids fit in the back or is that asking too much?

I had originally thought about hanging out for a quality 16" with a "pop-top", I know that 16" are rare but it seems as though that availability is pretty much non existent in the UK in any spec.

My reason for posting on here is that I'd like to know if it is worth holding out for a 16", try and import one or just get a 14" version (like the one currently on eBay) and lift it with bigger wheels, etc. I have found out the differences between the 2 types (i.e. longer rear trailing arms, transmission, half shafts & brakes, etc). In reality does this make a lot of difference, and if so is it realistically possible to upgrade the 14" so that it looks and performs like a 16"?

The next question is about the diff locks/viscous coupler - like everyone I'd like diff locks front and rear but not all have this option so is it possible to add a second one and would the original VC be ok for this and at what price?

My other question is in respect of the engine, does it matter which version, with the petrols doing around 20mpg and the diesels about 30mpg (if I am correct), or not worry too much and either replace it or add lpg to the petrol with either option being a pricey option?

Mike
Mike

The robots are coming.

(1990 Westy Syncro 2.1 DJ - Converted from a Caravelle)

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Re: 14" or 16"?

Post by jed the spread »

Sorry about that Mike, your not the first :lol:

The thing is with Syncros It really doesn't matter what you have and what you do to them or if you can out nerd some other nerd. It all means nothing to me personally but what I would say is that if you have three kids and you want to camp then you will be needing a high top, maybe a trailer too for your clothes and stuff if you want to holiday in it comfortably with bikes etc. A worth while engine conversion is nice and a recently built gear box is a bonus. You will need around the £15000 mark for a sorted one with your personal touches included wether you buy a peace of crap cheap or one all ready done it usually ends up the same.

I assume you have seen this one? http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=124297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Its perfect for your set up and its a really honest van with the money spent in all the right places.

Good to have you with us :ok

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

cleagarr
80-90 Mem No: 11523

Post by cleagarr »

Hey!

You won't get three kids along the back seat. In my case we added a buddy seat behind the passenger seat. It also has a three point belt and a toilet fits underneath. I got the seat from German ebay!

We have a high-top and sleep two in the roof and one along the front with a bunk. We spent a month in summer in France, and some time skating (with mega-grip) int he snow in the winter and love every minute.We get everything ion the front of ours and the cupboards with no need for extra storage - our high top is quite rare (but still available) and gives masses of storage.

This link should take you to some photos - some random (it is an ex-German Fire Service radio truck). http://s1258.photobucket.com/user/Chris ... t=3&page=1

When I got mine I had 15" wheels (on the pictures) but I went back to 14s because they were original. With LPG conversion, new alternator, fuel pump, thermostat and many other bits as well as a solar panel and 415amp hour battery pack we're ready to go for looooooooooooong periods of time.

The tent on the photos is a pop-up quechua which, in our view, is much better than any awning we've seen. folds really small too.

I'd take 16k for mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, I might!

Keep asking questions, follow threads by Jed and the like, and welcome along.

Chris
All I ask is for the chance to prove that money won't make me happy.

1989 Transporter 1.6TD original engine.

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

Chris, your settings are set to private. I'm interested in your seating arrangement and your 415ah of batteries. :ok
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

cleagarr

Post by cleagarr »

Just changed them....

The batteries are not pictured. I have three 110ah in the cupboard at the side (next to to bench seat)- one slotted in the front and two on a box so they fit in. I then cut a hole in the rear cupboard to use the lost space. does that make any sense? I'll take some piccies. These run the Eber and when it arrives, the Waeco.

The other 85ah is under the driver's seat and powers the radio, 12v fans (we got to hot places) and other charging.

let me know if you want any other pictures adding.

cleagarr

Post by cleagarr »

I've just put some more photos in... worth noting when I went back to 12" wheels I got rid of the "bespoke" rear spare carrier. :ok

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

How are you charging those batteries Chris? 240 hook up every week or so? or have you gone Sterling or plan to go solar?

I am getting a bit obsessed with battery bank set ups at the moment and am interested in what others are up to.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

cleagarr

Post by cleagarr »

jed the spread wrote:How are you charging those batteries Chris? 240 hook up every week or so? or have you gone Sterling or plan to go solar?

I am getting a bit obsessed with battery bank set ups at the moment and am interested in what others are up to.

Jed

Funnily enough Jed I was about (this week) to contact you re. buying an alternator to battery Sterling. With solar adding the top up I will never use hookup again (and not just because it no longer works!!). When its not wazzing down I'm going to double check my alternator - have heard rumours of it being odd (perhaps due to its former life charging radio batteries etc.) but never really taken much notice of it to be honest.

Next year will be 5 1/2 weeks in France and I will expect to use no-one else's energy but God's!

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

cleagarr wrote:
jed the spread wrote:How are you charging those batteries Chris? 240 hook up every week or so? or have you gone Sterling or plan to go solar?

Jed

Funnily enough Jed I was about (this week) to contact you re. buying an alternator to battery Sterling. With solar adding the top up I will never use hookup again (and not just because it no longer works!!). When its not wazzing down I'm going to double check my alternator - have heard rumours of it being odd (perhaps due to its former life charging radio batteries etc.) but never really taken much notice of it to be honest.

Next year will be 5 1/2 weeks in France and I will expect to use no-one else's energy but God's!

Yep you need a Sterling in your life :lol:

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

Another extra seat option in the back. This is my van and the rear facing seat has been modified to fit the loo under it and the back flips down so you can use it as a table top from the outside or as a leg rest or bed when you spin the front set round and recline the seat.

CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

Tufty_B

Post by Tufty_B »

Jed,
Thanks for the reply, if/when I do get a syncro, I would like it to capable to be used off-road for fun use with the odd wild camping night or weekend, but not with the whole family, just me and/or a couple of the kids, so camping space for everyone is not a requirement. I did see that hightop, but I just don't like the look of them (sorry Peninsulakid), yes I know it makes sense with more space and covert camping but I just don't think that it is for me.
Also thanks for the info on how much I need to pay for a fully spec'd bus in good condition.

BTW - I'll be following your adventures, I hope we get see the vid's and write up's as you travel South (and back).

cleagarr,
I guessed three kids along the back seat would be a tall order, they just about fit in the middle row in the Touran. We don't use the rear seats unless we have an extra bod or 2 because they are cramped and a bit tricky to access, plus on hols the back is rammed to roof with stuff anyway.
I was hoping that a buddy seat behind the passenger seat, would be OK, but what about leg room between that and the rear seat?
Thanks for sharing the photos.

I have just seen the additional posts.
The space between your both of your rear facing seats seem to be bigger that on the syncro currently up for sale http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300991363432? ... 1438.l2648

Thanks for replying,
Mike
Mike

The robots are coming.

hugomonkey
80-90 Mem No: 10485

Post by hugomonkey »

in the photos on ebay the seat is folded down into a bed so it looks closer together :ok
Regards Jason
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHp3lQKS6lo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tufty_B

Post by Tufty_B »

Thanks, I was wondering if that was the case, but I have never been up close to a camper in person so wasn't too sure.

hugomonkey wrote:in the photos on ebay the seat is folded down into a bed so it looks closer together :ok
Mike

The robots are coming.

hugomonkey
80-90 Mem No: 10485

Post by hugomonkey »

if you wanted a 16 poptop camper you could be waiting around for years before one comes along so dont hold your breath, a doka has a vast amount of space on the back seats so more than enough for a large family
Regards Jason
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHp3lQKS6lo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Peninsulakid
80-90 Mem No: 8867

Post by Peninsulakid »

Hi Mike

Really hope you find what your looking for.

With regards to my van. If you needed a buddy box I would throw one in with the sale, as to the roof question.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T25-WESTFA ... 2330b280dc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The beauty of my van is the engine conversion. £4K already done, all tested and sweet as a nut, small jobs like adding a buddy seat and a couple of extra batteries are easy fixes that don't cost too much.

Good luck with your search.

Cheers Rich
PeninsulaKid

New vans are great but they just ain't got no soul!