Syncro Glambulance - getting muddy!

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

poshbuggers
80-90 Mem No: 0

Syncro Glambulance - getting muddy!

Post by poshbuggers »

Well it is finally in and running. After a year of scrounging parts, working crazy hours in a new job and dealing with foster kids I finally have a running Syncro with a mk3 Golf GTI engine installed.

I used a virtually rebuilt unit bought from a friend that had loads of new parts fitted recently. It was a pearler and after the car had been stripped owed me no money.

To this I have added an updated clutch, TDi starter motor, fabricated exhaust manifold adapter and bolted this all up using Syncro diesel mounts, pipes and a new JX exhaust.

I struggled to find a Syncro diesel tank but Hugomonkey came up with the goods after a while. Ironically my van was originally a JX powered diesel and had been converted using full 2.1 petrol running gear.

Now I am considering the economy/usability of the Golf engine with petrol Syncro drivetrain. I know the ratios are not ideal and will be looking at a more suited set and rebuild next year.

In the meantime I want to run on 15" wheels (6.5J et 35 Audi Ronal R8's) and am wondering what would be the best tyre for mainly road use. I'd prefer something fattish with plenty of grip.

Can anyone recommend something that will work with my setup?
Last edited by poshbuggers on 16 Sep 2013, 20:48, edited 6 times in total.

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Re: Wheels,tyres and gear ratios with a new engine.

Post by garyd »

Well done on getting it all together and on joining the 'GTi club'. I'm not sure I can suggest a fat, road tread, tyre size for you but maybe my info/experience can help you decide.

I am also running a MkIII GTi (AGG) engine in my syncro. It was a turbo diesel model and retains the original gearbox & ratios. I have, however, fitted 215/75x15 ATs on Mefro rims. In this configuration, top gear is something very close to 20mph per 1000rpm and seems well suited to the engine.

It seems to me that the engine prefers to run at reasonable revs rather than lugging a tall gear when at higher speed. I also have the beginnings of evidence that it is more fuel efficient running third gear in 30mph zones and beyond so I am trying not to grab 4th quite so soon. There is a big step up between third & fourth on this diesel gearbox. Having said that, it will also pull well at low revs, taking 3rd gear happily from 15mph (1000rpm?) right through to and beyond 50mph.

On a recent 1000 mile tour round north Wales, taking in plenty of mountain roads, and at times carrying a full load, it returned an average of more than 26mpg. That was against the odometer readings which could be out by as much as 6% (185x14 original size) which would take it up to 28mpg. I have got to check the odo against the satnav but I am quite happy with those figures.

Hope this helps
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Post by axeman »

this makes for some interesting reading, i take it that gary you have a 5.43 final drive with the tall (diesel) 4th, which would explain the jump to you mentioned from 3rd to 4th. as for the speedo readings on both of our vans, the camper and pick up are both 5.43s. one petrol (commercial) with a lower 4th gear and the camper diesel with the taller 4th. the speedo reating have been bang on with the sat nav readings once a 215/75/15 wheel and tyre combo were fitted. as for the mpg info that is pretty much the same as our jx powered camper,

posh buggers do you know what your gear box code is as i think this will help work out what size wheel and tyres to go for?

neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

poshbuggers

Post by poshbuggers »

Not sure Neil. I did note it when I purchased the van but that was a long time ago. I'll have a look on Monday

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)

poshbuggers

Post by poshbuggers »

Here are a couple of videos I took to document the build.

First start:
http://youtu.be/8nryZEv63bU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://youtu.be/kscoVX9FOoA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First drive:
http://youtu.be/4DFkc2_AG8I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I still have a small 'issue list' to work through with Andrew.

1. Power steering bonds on full lock. Could be air or the Golf pump not being man enough.
2. Exhaust 'whistle'. There is a small air leak at the silencer inlet.
3. Whine. Diff oil/worn drivetrain, prop or the MT tyres.
4. Throttle cable. Needs a slightly more positive feel. One ordered from RJES

)

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

IIRC, when i used an RJES cable, even with routing it the shortest possbile route it wasnt quite long enough. You have to route it over/round a stinko tank.
If i was doing it again, i would buy the RJES kit as the liner/brackets etc are outstanding but get a second inner/cable made once you have routed the outer.
I had to join about 6" of cable at the pedal end.

poshbuggers

Post by poshbuggers »

Thanks ELVIS. We have a nice mackle there at the moment which won't break and works but its not elegant.

Going over this afternoon to check on progress/drivetrain codes and get a few key details from the van.

)

poshbuggers

Post by poshbuggers »

Had a look an its an AAN box/AAH diff combo which I suspected.

That means a final drive of 4:86 according to the information I have.

Can anyone advise a tyre based on that?

I'm running 195R15 Goldline MT's at the moment and there is plenty of room in the arches.

)

Fin
80-90 Mem No: 8714

Post by Fin »

Ask Aiden Talbot - i believe he has a calculator for such things
Single cab pickup, running 1996 Subaru WRX STI engine, Aiden talbot gearbox.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

I'm running on that 4.86 f/d ratio and 215/75/15 AT2's, but with standard gear ratios. The Weber'd 2.1 SS pulls it fine on and off road but tends to run out of breath in 4th on a long hill. No furniture onboard.
Really nice cruising at 60-65, it's about 19mph/1000rpm so 60 comes up at around 3100. Readings are about 5% off, satnav 60 is an indicated 57 on the speedo.
Fronts have never caught the arch when playing, even with no ARB fitted and they clear the slider at ET30.

I personally wouldn't want a bigger jump from 3-4 with the standard gearset and these tyres, it would make 4th near useless unless on the flat. But...you've got a long-stroke inline, so maybe it'll be ok?

poshbuggers

Post by poshbuggers »

That is somewhat reassuring .

I've contacted Aidan the gearbox guru. Hopefully he can clarify the details.

If it is worth upgrading I will pop more pennies in the pot for the drivetrain refurb next year.

Right now I just want to get using it. It's nearly 18 months since I last came to prayer at the altar of Syncro my lord :-)

)

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Post by garyd »

Purely coincidentally with this thread I have received some different info re tyre pressures.

After fitting new shocks I felt the ride was somewhat harsher than I had hoped/expected. During a conversation about this I was asked about tyre pressures and told of a 'formula' for working out pressures for different vehicles.

The formula is:-
(actual axle weight/2x max load rating of the tyre) x max inflation pressure of tyre = operating pressure of tyre.

So, my syncro I estimate weighs approx 2000kgs with maybe 900 front & 1100 rear. My BFG ATs have max load rating of 800kg per tyre and max pressure of 51psi.

Inserting those into the formula gives me:-

front - (900/2x 800) x 51 = 9/16 x 51 = 28.6. say 29psi.

rear - (1100/2x 800) x 51 = 11/16 x 51 = 35psi

Those figures are a lot lower than the 38 & 46 I have been running. I have now lowered mine to 33 & 39 to see how they feel but I haven't driven it yet.

I can offer no authority for the accuracy of this formula but it does throw another option into the mix for you to consider. I will let you know how I get on with lower pressures.
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

A tyre pyrometer will tell you a lot too, but the suspension geometry needs to be set within limits otherwise you're starting without a datum. The formula looks to be a good starting point though :ok

Here's a probe to go with the reasonably priced pyrometer shown on the right (note the comments re: accurate readings, where an IR thermometer will only get you somewhere near)

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorspor ... ture-probe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS you also need to be very quick on the draw when taking readings after a run!

poshbuggers

Post by poshbuggers »

A quick follow-up on my progress....

We have just returned from 2 glorious fun packed weeks in Kent and France, Battle, Thiepval, St.Leon sur Vezeres and Maisons Laffitte plus other local trips covering 2000 miles on the GTI engine.

A few observations...

- Acceleration is better than a 2.1DJ and cruising speed 70-75mph. The van pulled strongly and I only had to change down to 3rd on really long hills on the way down to the Dordogne when speed dropped below 65mph rapidly.
- Fuel consumption is still to be determined properly as our journey was fully loaded, with 5 passengers, fully camping gear for 3 weeks and a Polo trailer. It has to be lower than the DJ though as it pulls without as much effort. :D
- I fitted Merc steels (6.5Jx15et31) with T4 tyres (225/70R15) on the van after some deliberation. Thankfully these were in my spares anyway.In the heavy hightop Syncro my tyres were squealing on tight turns. It was 36 in the shade on tarmac. Not sure if this was tyre pressure or lack of grip. :?:
- Ex-Ambulances have lots of holes on the roof. Ours were found after a severe downpour outside Paris caused a few cups of rain to be deposited from the roof mounted lighting - kids not amused :mrgreen:
- I hate the Reimo interior I had to fit to appease the wife. I hate sleeping with my face in a wardrobe. I hate the 3/4 Reimo R&R bed. Next interior will feature a flat, strong full width bed, no wardrobe and a happier back. However I did like to engine top storage area. I think I will have to come up with a completely different bed design :shock:
- We suffered an oil leak that caused the new JX clutch to slip after 500 miles. Looks like the crankshaft oil seal so the box will be pulled later this week. No biggie. We did cover another 1500 with careful use and a monitored oil level and it's still pulling.

All in all I am very happy and glad to have a van again. I'll be improving the functionality and condition of it over the off season with upgraded suspension, brakes and renewed steering parts. Inside will be having a rethink and outside will be very different.....

)

poshbuggers

Re: Poshbuggers Syncro GTI Ex-BUPA Ambulance

Post by poshbuggers »

Here are a few photos taken on our holiday.

Loaded up for the first stopover in Gillingham.

Our first proper camp at Senlac Wood, Battle

On Le Ferry at Dover

A visit to Thiepval memorial to pay my respects to my fallen great uncles. Two of the 74,000.

Long stay at Camping Paradise, St Leon sur Vezeres

At Le Grand Roc with the troglodytes.

)