Syncroandy

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

taigagreen
80-90 Mem No: 9831

Re: Syncroandy

Post by taigagreen »

jed the spread wrote:
taigagreen wrote:Dont travel in northern Scandinavia with a tdi in the winter..... I took a JX T3 into Sweden and -32 a couple years back. The car actually froze to a standstill. The diesel became so thick on its way from the tank to the engine that it couldnt pass the fuel filter. Adding insulation to fuel lines, coolant lines and installing a webasto or similar is a must if youre driving a modern diesel in these condition. And fresh glow plugs!

Maybe well meet in Jokkmokk :D

taigagreen wrote:
jed the spread wrote:I am sure taigagreen will agree but you will need a coolant heater at the very least especially if you have a diesel. Also depends a lot on what conversion you have.

Jed

Well if your glowplugs are allright, you shouldnt have a problem. JX and AAZs ususally generate enough heat to warm up the car properly. TDIs tend not to but all Scandinavian TDIs have a coolant heater that starts when the temp is about +5C. Or are you thinking of the Eberspächer/Webasto kind to heat up your car before you start it? Both are nice and a comfy solution. But not necessary if timing, and glowplugs are ok.

Which one is it then :? I like to keep notes that come straight from the horses mouth incase I plan to travel to a country and kind of save info up.

Jed

Not had similar problems on a syncro, where the tank is so close to the engine. But that really opened my eyes to the effects of low temperatures and wind. You also get different quality diesel fuel depending on company you buy from and the time of year.

Coolant heater is required. I`ll try not to be so confusing :D

taigagreen wrote:Dont travel in northern Scandinavia with a tdi in the winter.....
... without a coolant heater (is what it should say)
Now
88 Westfalia syncro AAZ i/c
91 Caravelle syncro DJ
89 doka syncro DJ
89 Westfalia California JX
84 Reimo Camper 1.9 WBX
90 Caravelle Coach JX
98 Sharan 110hp TDi

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Thanks for clearing the confusion up, far north a coolant heater is required then :mrgreen:

You just got me thinking to something I hadnt even realized before, but with the engine running the heat from the engine and the position of the fuel tank means the fuel should be warmed a bit maybe when the vehicle is running, especially if you have the diesel engine bash plate with engine shroud on with the extra matting. And with the short pipe runs near the engine too you wouldnt have as many problems with gelling fuel as a standard 4x4 or car with the engine and tank usually at opposite ends to each other.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Post by syncropaddy »

jed the spread wrote:Thanks for clearing the confusion up, far north a coolant heater is required then :mrgreen:

You just got me thinking to something I hadnt even realized before, but with the engine running the heat from the engine and the position of the fuel tank means the fuel should be warmed a bit maybe when the vehicle is running, especially if you have the diesel engine bash plate with engine shroud on with the extra matting. And with the short pipe runs near the engine too you wouldnt have as many problems with gelling fuel as a standard 4x4 or car with the engine and tank usually at opposite ends to each other.

Jed

This would be true whilst the van is stationary but when in motion there would be colder air over the fuel tank first as the engine is behind the fuel tank and the warm air is being blown away rearwards from the engine. There will be warm air from the rad up front but wouldn't be warm by the time it got to the rear. I've only driven my van in -12C and the only issue I had was a frozen throttle cable - no starting or running issues!
A good friend of mine is living in Central Sweden and drives a Southern European spec Volvo and has no issues at all with the cold which this year has managed -22C. He simply uses the anti freeze as recommended by Volvo and local diesel ......
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by max and caddy »

Now I'm no expert...but...the location of the plastic tank on the syncro is certainly not exposed, no wind chill type things re going be involved and like you say with local or winter fuel I would expect the fuel to stay above its gel point. Maybe some lagging could be added as well? Also the T3 had a factory modification to fit a thermo valve to the fuel filter to allow it to run on warmed fuel...once warmed up of course.

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Post by syncropaddy »

sure a chilly wind always gets where you dont want it ......
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

max and caddy wrote:Now I'm no expert...but...the location of the plastic tank on the syncro is certainly not exposed, no wind chill type things re going be involved and like you say with local or winter fuel I would expect the fuel to stay above its gel point. Maybe some lagging could be added as well? Also the T3 had a factory modification to fit a thermo valve to the fuel filter to allow it to run on warmed fuel...once warmed up of course.

I agree, like you I am no expert but I have lifted my engine lid on freezing cold days and been greeted with warm air. Though I was not driving at 70 mph at the time I am fairly sure the temperature in and around the engine bay and fuel tank is a good deal warmer than under the van in the middle like on a 2wd van. The next bit of freezing weather we have I am going to fix my remote thermometer on the tank and see the difference in temperature between the Syncro tank and the 2wd tank and report back.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

Get some of those sticky 'single use' temp strips and stick em in strategic places maybe. No risk of losing more expensive tools then :?: