Front Outer CV Boot

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

syncroy
80-90 Mem No: 7065

Front Outer CV Boot

Post by syncroy »

Just in the process of replacing all the CV boots to the front of my van. It is a 1989 16" Syncro with front diffs. I got the replacement boots from Mr Baxter. The axles came out relatively easy after a bit of experimentation, so much so I was going to post a blog on it as it doesn't involve having to take out the bottom ball joint or alternatively the 3 bolts connecting the lower control arm. The joints have all been stripped down, cleaned and I started putting everything back on the axle, the inner boots fitted a treat but the outers don't!! On Brickwerks site it says 'These are made by the OEM for VW, they fit properly'. I'll have a chat to Simon about after the Bank Holiday & see what he thinks. My thoughts are that the boots are either the wrong size or the outer CV joints on my van are non-standard, which would appear unlikely but possible.

The CV joint is a Lobro
IMG_0450.jpg
As you can see this looks as it should, but this is only based on me comparing what is in the Bentley manual & other pictures I’ve seen.
IMG_0452.jpg
Basically the boot is too big in diameter; the gap is about 5mm to one side when pushed hard against the CV joint & with this being quite a ridged material there is no chance of just clamping this tight.
IMG_0454.jpg
The job was going really well & I’d planned to take advantage of the rain tomorrow & get everything refitted but it looks like I’ll have to put that off until next week by which time I should be able to get to the bottom of the problem.

Your thoughts & any help would be appreciated. :ok

Thanks again

Roy

jes*b
80-90 Mem No: 10335

Re: Front Outer CV Boot

Post by jes*b »

Hi, what diameter are the outer cv's ? I have some on the bench to compare with

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

maybe you have had your locking front driveshafts replaced with non locker driveshaft and outer joints? Baxters cv boots fitted my 16" locking front cvj's perfectly. yours does look smaller than mine :shock: :lol:
I've got a front outer spare boot, heres the part number if you want to check yours?
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

roy you have the very early cv's with the wide groove, these originally were fitted with the white nylon covers
if they are 90mm non difflock then I have some preloved ones that will fit and I'm after some late style ones
if they are 98mm difflock ones then you may struggle to find boots for them

syncroy

Post by syncroy »

Morning Aidan

They are definitely the 90mm & the boots I took off are white (ish) in colour (or at least they were at some point!), so it sounds like they are the early ones. What I'm slightly confused about is I thought the diff lock was just in the box & I regularly put the front diff lock on, working on the principle of use it or lose it! Everything feels like it's working, so is it? And what is the difference in the design of an outer CV with & without difflocks??

syncroy

Post by syncroy »

Hi Jes & Lloyd

As I said to Aidan the dia is 90mm & the overall length about 175mm. The new boots I have are the same reference as your's Lloyd, 23508.

When I separated the boot from the inner CV I found a spacer / washer to one side, which I know shouldn't have been there. I just put this down to someone not re-installing correctly. I don't keep the van at home, so I'm expecting to now find another spacer this time left on the opposite side of the box! :idea I think I've potentially got outer CVs from a 14" with diffs, which would explain why it works & the spacers/washers are there to simply pick up the difference! What do you think??

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Spacers are fitted to every inner cv joint at front, very much needed and factory fitted so you need to put that back.
Sounds like you have a 14" or a 16" non locker front shaft (both same thing) So yours have either been swapped out or originally was a rear locker only and someone has upgraded it to front locker as well.
So you just need a 14" outer boot
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

jes*b

Post by jes*b »

Aaah the vagaries if the 16" front shaft / cv combo :D your cv joint looks different to mine - I have both the OE & GKN ones so as usual Aidan is the man to follow. How about a quick measure of the diameter of your driveshaft. There's a thread somewhere a few months back that we knock about what we know on this subject. Anyway 28mm is the diameter of a 16" front shaft with diff lock but as Lloyd says plenty of 16"'s are set up on the thinner shaft with no problems. My Doka originally came without lock and has been upgraded to a lock but still runs with the 14"/16" without lock shafts.

syncroy

Post by syncroy »

Hi, I was going to refit the spacer but it was fitted between the CV joint & the metal collar of the boot, it shows in the Bentley manual that it should be between the CV & the box so that's what I was going to do, as in the current location it stops the boot sitting on the CV correctly.

I've measured the diameter of the front shaft & it's coming out at 27mm! Where's my missing mm!! I might have to drive to Aidan's with a box of bits for a full diagnosis!! ................as I said, this job was going really well :) :roll:

jes*b

Post by jes*b »

TBH I've measured a selection recently and they tend to vary , if it's 27mm and the shaft is crusty then it could be a thinner one, if it's fairly clean then my best guess is it a shaft 'with lock'.

jes*b

Post by jes*b »

Good info here - Dai has posted some measurements ( spline count etc) do you can compare.

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... driveshaft" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

syncroy

Post by syncroy »

I cleaned the shaft before measuring it at 27mm. I had literally just found that post so I'm just working through that thread ................it reads like a tongue twister!

syncroy

Post by syncroy »

Thanks Jes, I followed that thread taking some additional dims, counting splines etc & I have a 14" axle that must have been retro fitted when the van was residing in Sweden. Aidan, I'll have a chat with Simon tomorrow regarding the new boots, I fancy fitting new ones now given the journey but thanks for the offer...........I'll take the shaft & CV along to check this time. I tried to fit x1 boot before I discovered the obvious mistake of it not fitting so x1 boot kit is intact the other will be down on the grease & the inner tie. Give me a call or email next week if you want to buy them at a suitable discount and we can meet up for an exchange.

Thanks again for your help with this.

Roy

jes*b

Post by jes*b »

Silly question but are both shafts on the bench ? Are they the same? Just in case you have one of each :shock:

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by max and caddy »

Intresting stuff..i have been doing my driveshafts today and pleased to say it all went fine but i had one "white" nylon boot fitted and replaced with the baxter boots and thet fit perfect..some mong had put the v seal holder on upside down on one side however!