Syncro 1, Land-Rover 0

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Syncro G
80-90 Mem No: 3988

Syncro 1, Land-Rover 0

Post by Syncro G »

To be honest tyres are what makes the difference here, if your tyres aren't winter tyres (icicle marking) or all weather rated (M+S - most all/mud terain tyres have this or are basicly as good tread wise, though not nesiserally compound wise) then 4WD will just get you better access to more ditches than a 2WD that wouldn't get moving at all, anyway...

My road in Buxton, tried to drive my 1970 series 2A Tdi up this hill but its Avon Rangemaster tyres were having none of it, it just slid into the curb and ran along that till it stopped completely - I've already noticed it was useless in snow but that was with a broken front axle, I was amased how little difference the front axle made, it still wonders everywhere! Thats it dumped down a sideroad where its gonna stay till the snows gone, and then I'll have sold it, though that was actully always going to happen regardless of the weather.

The syncro was pointing the other way, so it had to tackle the other hill. This is shorter but at least as steep as the other one (the bit the landy couldn't do was no way near the steep bit!). Before all that though it had to do the sideslope by the drive (which probubly puts it breafly on 3 wheels, cartainly does on normal cars and flexes leafsprung landys near their limit (which is more than many people seem to think - they've got to be not nackered though). Shod on its BFG All terains there wasn't a hint of trouble, just point it and off it goes. Absolutely no hint of sliding sideways eather. (It is worth noting that the green 2A in the picture running Colway MT's also had no issue with the sideslope and I would have expected it to climb the hill with ease too, but its not mine so I wasn't going to take it to work, just move it out the way. If my series 1 station wagon was parked at home it'd have also had no problem - Michelin XZLs on that - I brileant tyre thats really cheep in 235/85R16 or 7.50R16 as you get them ex army, at that size though not much good for a syncro unless you chop a lot off. I belive there is a 205R16 version out there but not ex army.

A tipical lower level road, no trouble.

Higher stuff like the A515 are not so good. Don't know how the sprinter infront was manageing it, got quite a bounce over the drifts but he turned around at the next hill. Most cars didn't get further than the lorries that park up in a que as you try and leave Buxton - they are fine till they stop, then they won't get going.

The A6 towards Bakewell. Drifiting snow is a real issue here (there are drystone walls eather side of the road, the fence is just on the top to stop sheep vaulting them) but luckally the syncro had no trouble on the line through here that other 4x4s have managed to make. Some 4x4s on road tyres were also getting through but I had never untill now apresheated how anoying a Rav4 is - people try and drive them where proper 4x4s go but as they always have road tyres on they tend to get stuck where its not so easy to tow them out the way. The same is also true of Subarus like the impretza neetly filling the right hand ditch.
At one point an Ambulance came through on blues, it was based on a Nissan Patrol so should have been okay but again it was shod on road tyres so needed digging out when it stopped - I presume they bought a 4x4 ambulance to go where a sprinter or those useless renult things won't so it seems a complete waist of money not to spend an extra £500 on tyres that work - not a lot of money when it probubly cost over £50k to start with.

Also yet again I was told by someone I had "no chance" getting through the snow "in that". Funny how people change their minds when they see a syncro weave its way around slightly struggleing Hilux (very poor weight distrebution when empty it seems).
Glen Syncronaut: 113 - 1992 JX Syncro pannel van

Peter-T
80-90 Mem No: 10644

Re: Syncro 1, Land-Rover 0

Post by Peter-T »

Wow, thanks for the photos, and a great write-up!
It's mad as theres absolutely no snow where I am!

I'm glad your Syncro was up to the job!
Image 1981 2.0 Aircooled Devon

T'Onion
80-90 Mem No: 255

Post by T'Onion »

Just a normal day in paradise hay Glen :rofl
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Outstanding !
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

KarlT
80-90 Mem No: 2266

Post by KarlT »

Interesting write-up. Thanks for taking the time!
Not a sausage down here, obviously. I wonder if we get cheaper car insurance because of it? Probably not.

Roving Rich
80-90 Mem No: 10828

Post by Roving Rich »

Nice one, enjoyed that.
I was blown away with my Syncro in the little bit of snow we had. Pulling estate cars up hill.
I got a set of cheap BFG mud terrains off ebay that seem to do the trick. The bosses Discovery with road tyres just slid off the road and got abandoned.
Thanks
Rich
1986 Yellow Syncro Panel Van camper conversion. 19TDi 1Z Engine conversion

eltee
80-90 Mem No: 8417

Post by eltee »

Glen, i used to live at the top of your hill for about 10 years, bought back memories of what buxton can be like.
91 syncro ex bundeswehr