25 year road tax exempt rules

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

25 year road tax exempt rules

Post by camper »

Slightly off beat but there must owners that have t25s over twenty five years or approching.I saw on ebay and its not the first i have seen this a seller discribing that the vehicle may be road fund licence exempt.I thought the 25 year rules on the road fund licence had changed.My devon t25 was registered in 1981 .Does this make my vehicle road fund licence exempt.

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Post by Louey »

the 25 yr rule went out yrs ago, tax exempt is only valid on vehicles BUILT before 1-1-1973

sorry
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

Yes i thought the 25 year rule went out years ago.I saw a t25 on fleabay today the discription said it will be tax exempt soon.

DiscoDave
80-90 Mem No: 684

Post by DiscoDave »

it did go out ages oga and was only in for a while anyway! the tax peeps didn't realise how many of these vehicles were on the road and how much it would loose them on tax so it was pulled!!

excalibur
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by excalibur »

It was brought in by the Tories.......it was pulled in the first liebour budget in 97

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Bloody Phoney Blair :roll:

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Post by Louey »

excalibur wrote:It was brought in by the Tories.......it was pulled in the first liebour budget in 97

politics is a banned subject on here :wink: , but I'm sure any government would have pulled it sooner or later. Its like the lower duty not being put on Veg Oil, governments over the last few decades have wiped out any money the country has and we have a pension scheme that has no pot - plus people like us (ordinary folk) want more public spending (OK, probably spent better than it has been) and better welfare etc.....

I like the phrase liebour - should it be lieblair??

:roll:
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Horza
80-90 Mem No: 1123

Post by Horza »

I thought someone said the IOM still had a rolling 25 year rule?

If by some happenstance we actually had a government that cared about, well about anything other than pleasing their massivly rich corporate sponsors it would still be a tricky issue.

Environmentaly 25 year old vehicles tend to be more poluting day to day, they need more maintenance than a new vehicle to have a carbon cost there also but all that is offset by the huge cost of producing a new vehicle.
Euan

Economic migrant, cultural extremist and religious bigot.

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

It'd be interesting to see what the number actually add up to, 15 year old van total CO2 produced (inc its build) and new vehicle over its expected life span (say 10 years :roll: )
member 1168

Horza
80-90 Mem No: 1123

Post by Horza »

I don't have access to those figures and as some of them could be considered to be comercially sensitive (which means "we don't want you to know that!) I doubt anyone has them all.

It is almost always more desireable to reuse something then it is to recycle and remanufacture. Breaking up a car for recycling is a very very expensive process. Manufacturing a new car is similar (which is why it is not cost effective to do it here anymore). Scavanging parts and keeping things running however is much much cheaper in a Carbon Footprint Context.
Euan

Economic migrant, cultural extremist and religious bigot.

excalibur
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by excalibur »

On the subject of older vehicles causing more polution, a vehicle causes more greenhouse gasses during in manufacturing than during the running of it during its lifetime.......................so ecologicaly it is kinder to the enviroment to run an older vehicle than keep replacing with new

ands whats all this about politics being banned........are you serious?

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

excalibur wrote: politics being banned........are you serious?
It's like the BBC then :wink:

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Yep IoM still has a rolling (well it did have last year) 25 year tax exemption, wish I kept my "Green monster".. would have been tax ex last year!! :(