VW tools for cambelt timing

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jimmyt
80-90 Mem No: 6344

VW tools for cambelt timing

Post by jimmyt »

Just about to remove the injection pump on my 1.6TD (JX) to be repaired and just sorting out the tools required for replacing cambelt and timing everything. I can make the locking pin, and adapt a dti for the pump but I'm not sure about the setting gauge for the camshaft ( VW tool 2065A ) has anyone got the dimensions of this tool so I can make one?

Obviously I'm too much of a cheapskate to buy the VW tools as I need as much money as possible to replace all the broken bits :cry:

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Post by Louey »

you just need a flat piece of metal - about 5mm thick I think. I got a locking kit for about £8
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

jimmyt
80-90 Mem No: 6344

Post by jimmyt »

Thanks for your reply Louey, I had a look at the camshaft this evening and the slot measures up at 4.6mm. Looks like a piece of steel and some shims should do the job. On a slighly different subject, any idea how much oil should be lurking around in the camshaft chamber?

Cheers

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Post by Louey »

just a bit - it doesn't all get back down to the sump - so don't worry about oil spilling everywhere.

I always found it was a good idea to put the camshaft lock on and clamp it somehow with one of those quick grip thingies - had a habit of falling off.
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀