Stupid question - can you help

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

gearyboy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Stupid question - can you help

Post by gearyboy »

Ive seen for sale a golf 1.9TD aaz engine, but im a bit confused about it states its intercooled. Is that just off the radiator or is that something different? Bit confused - dont know much about diesel engines!

Cheers Matt
Mmmmmmmm beer!

Horza
80-90 Mem No: 1123

Post by Horza »

Intercooling means cooling of the compressed air from the turbo before it goes in the engine doesn't it? It's a good thing for TD engines I would have thought.
Euan

Economic migrant, cultural extremist and religious bigot.

Diamond Hell
80-90 Mem No: 830

Post by Diamond Hell »

An intercooler does indeed cool the charge charge = denser charge of air in cylinder = bigger bang = more power almost for free = good thing.

What installation is it currently in? I don't think the AAZ was ever intercooled from the factory.
Diamond Hell
Still Syncro, just much fasterer

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Those 1.6 RA, SB engines with the watercooled turbos were intercooled though, so another thing to check is whether its a water or Aircooled turbo. Poss. easy to think its a 1.9 AAZ when its not, lots of confusion I find at parts counters betwen all these diesels.. helluva job finding the right shell bearings for mine, which does seem to be an AAZ, but didn't tie up with any known parts for them.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1