lowered or replace standard suspension parts

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pimpdriver
80-90 Mem No: 2349

lowered or replace standard suspension parts

Post by pimpdriver »

Hello,

Thinking of lowering my 88E panel van. It has done 163k miles.

People say it handles better etc.

However, you are generally replacing old knackered original spec parts with brand new springs and dampers (and sometimes rubber bushes for PU bushes too) so you are comparing old standard with new modified items, so it is not really a fair comparison.

If I replaced my springs and dampers with standard items and PU bushes, how much better would it handle to how it is now? Has anyone else just changed worn out original parts for new original parts?

Van is used for work, so regularly carries 500kg of stuff.

Cheers,

Steve
http://www.purpleturtleservices.co.uk
Want a ride in the purpleturtlelovevan?

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Depends how knackered they are. But certainly, the front radius rod bushes and some of the arb bushes can make a noticeable tighter and more responsive vehicle, and of course, a good set of shockers notices too.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

charlie brown syndrome
80-90 Mem No: 8272

Post by charlie brown syndrome »

funnily enough i thought the same thing "of course its going to feel better your replacing old items for new ones"
that was until i bought a van that had just had new "standard" springs on it,on purchasing the van i also bought some 60mm lowering springs (more so for a better "stance/nicer lower look) but the difference was noticable straight away,it drove nicer handled better round corners the brakes felt better,looked better,was even easier to get into the van!!!
obviously this is my personal opinion,but ive recently bought a new van which i'm already putting lowering springs on, i may have a set of 60mm springs for sale soon,they were only on my old van for about 6 months(they are jk ones)
if i do i will post them up for club 80-90 members to have first shout.