She ne'ver take it, cap'n! - Electric Hook Up

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

purplechugster
80-90 Mem No: 0

She ne'ver take it, cap'n! - Electric Hook Up

Post by purplechugster »

Okay, its about minus a billion degrees out there, snowing, icey and all that wintery kind of stuff. But Ive not been anywhere in The Chugster for ages, so Im going away to Devon tomorrow :D

And staying on a site where I can plug in and run a heater :roll:

So, quick question - If plugged into the mains, can the van take a 'normal' load, or is it restricted? Ive run a fan-heater without any problems, but my other 'alf wants to plug in a whopper of a heater. Can the van take it??

(And Im at work, so cant answer voltage/wattage/ampage questions about the heater or the van! ) :roll:

Snug as a bug in a bus-shaped rug :D
One T25 in London, another one in Sydney.

lone gunman
80-90 Mem No: 1044

Post by lone gunman »

The van will take it fine, whether the site's hookup will is more likly to be your problem, most sites give you about 10 amps, if the heater is all your using that equates to about 2500 kilowatts. Of course if your using that sort of power remember to turn it off before you use an electric kettle or other heavy load.
Stephen AKA Lone Gunman.

Autohomes Kameo 1.9 wasserboxer

Practice gun control ... use BOTH hands.

Horza
80-90 Mem No: 1123

Post by Horza »

There are three questions there.

1. What load does the site allow? - If your lucky it's 13a, if not it'll be less.

2. What load does the Dis box in your van allow? - Assuming you have one, read the current off the breaker. If you don't have one your stuffed.

3. Is the wiring up to it? - Before plugging anything in make sure you have sight of the wiring involved from the plug at the campsite's box all the way back to the appliance and ask Is it big fat flex?, Is it undamaged? Is it all still fitted where it should be fitted, tight and not flapping around? Is it earthed?

In a way the 230v ac is less risky in most cases than the 12v. Unless there are obvious problems with your install then the campsite's breaker will tell you when you've used too much load. In most cases a "whopper" of a heater will be too much but read the lable and work it out, does it use more or less than your fan heater?
Euan

Economic migrant, cultural extremist and religious bigot.

purplechugster
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by purplechugster »

It's good to get your money's worth out of the campsites electricity! :D

Okay, thanks for that. I'll make sure we take both heaters - wouldnt want to be stuck without one at the moment :shock:
One T25 in London, another one in Sydney.

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

Wiki'd
member 1168

Horza
80-90 Mem No: 1123

Post by Horza »

2500 kilowatts

Errr, are you sure Stephen? That's like the output of a small hydroelectric station isn't it?
Euan

Economic migrant, cultural extremist and religious bigot.

lone gunman
80-90 Mem No: 1044

Post by lone gunman »

My excuse is a head cold, think my brain has frozen, of course I meant 2.5 kilowatt or 2500 watts

Oh I need to lie down. :)
Stephen AKA Lone Gunman.

Autohomes Kameo 1.9 wasserboxer

Practice gun control ... use BOTH hands.

thegamwellsmythes
80-90 Mem No: 3845

Post by thegamwellsmythes »

We've just bought a fan heater that is 2500Kw apparently.

It means nothing to me but it's information nevertheless.

It was a basic cheap and cheerful fan heater so I would think it would be fairly standard.
Jane and Paul

More seemingly inept VW un/related questions/statements will follow in due course.

thegamwellsmythes
80-90 Mem No: 3845

Post by thegamwellsmythes »

We've just bought a fan heater that is 2500Kw apparently.

It means nothing to me but it's information nevertheless.

It was a basic cheap and cheerful fan heater so I would think it would be fairly standard.
Jane and Paul

More seemingly inept VW un/related questions/statements will follow in due course.

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

a 1500w fan heater will cook you in a T25 camper on full, you dont need any more than that, just remember to leave a window open to let fresh air in, or you'll feel rough as a badger bum in the morning if you leave it on all night......

and while we are on the subject of hook up, this time of year, two things you shouldnt do...........

1. dont plug the hook up into the site post then unroll it and plug it into your van, too many people do this, and a bad bit of insulation on the lead, wet grass, wet hands, it 'll mess your hair up! And carrying the live end isnt to be recommended

2. dont roll your lead up when it is cold, let it warmup in the van or sunshine before you roll it up neatly and tightly, becuase thats how the insulation gets cracks in it, when it is cold and brittle.
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Cate
80-90 Mem No: 1024
Location: Here & there on the Isle of Wight. 80-90 1024, sync 22, Goon.

Post by Cate »

If you want heat overnight get one of those little greenhouse electric heaters, only 500w and just right for a background heat.

My old vans electrics wouldnt take 2 kw, but would happily take 1.5.
Me!
..and here's the twist...I don't exist....

tweeks
80-90 Mem No: 1068

Post by tweeks »

IF you can get the hook up lead with the Arctic rated insulation. They are usually blue in colour and they don't break when it gets cold.
Paul

Formerly the one and only Twornicki

Member 1068, one more and I'd have had a sixty nine!!!!

[img:80:54]http://forum.80-90.co.uk/images/avatars ... 10616a.jpg[/img]

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Post by Louey »

got to agree with Mocki - you don't need a wacking great heater to heat a small van - and once you are asleep you won't need any heat at all.

Not sure if this one is wise:

but how about taking one of those plug in timers and set your heating to go off about an hour after you got to bed/sleep and have it set to come on about 20 minutes before you wake up or plan to get up.

I know what you mean thinking you need to get the most out of your camping fees, but there is the environment to think about too. Do yuo have the heating on at night at home too? :roll:
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

T2Andy
80-90 Mem No: 2476

Post by T2Andy »

Although we have an Eber. we carry a small 500w convector, that we leave on at night on the frost setting, stops the dogs from trying to get under the covers with us :D

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

i use a timer on my fan heater, you dont need it on when you are asleep, unless you have a quilt hogger or small children really, the timer works well,

even the blue leads get brittle, no point in ruining them for the sake of it.....
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper