Replacing petrol hoses

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

wasserleaker
80-90 Mem No: 3058

Replacing petrol hoses

Post by wasserleaker »

Recently replaced all the flexible rubber fuel hoses and clips on my 2.1 injection, used the proper hi pressure stuff that is rated to 12 bar, but the outer diameter of the new stuff was slightly bigger than the old hose, so getting the outer protective sleeving used in the engine bay back on was tricky, decided to use washing up liquid to make the sleeving slide on easier.
*BAD IDEA! DON'T DO IT* the rubber hose has since reacted with something in the washing up liquid, and gone soft and started to bulge and seperate/de-laminate in any area which had the washing up liquid on it. :shock: this could have been very nasty if left, i feel sure it would eventually have failed and possibly caused a fire. the proper stuff to use is a silicon based spray i've been told, something like Silkolene Pro-Prep, or similar. i'm replacing them again now but won't be using fairy liquid again, might leave the sleeving off, i think its just there to prevent the hoses rubbing against anything metal and sharp which shouldnt be a problem if they're routed right and tie-wrapped where necessary so they can't move about.

tonytech
80-90 Mem No: 477

Post by tonytech »

Just imagine what it does to your hands. :D :D

T
There are 10 kinds of people. those who understand Binary and those who dont