Charging leisure batter from mains (230V)

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

johncelliot
80-90 Mem No: 0

Charging leisure batter from mains (230V)

Post by johncelliot »

I am going to be adding a 12VDC supply to my van to run all of the 12V accessories when I am plugged in at a camp site (thus saving wear and tear on the leisure battery). I am wondering if it is possible that I could actually get a 14VDC supply to connect to the mains that I could then connect to my leisure battery thus charging the leisure battery. Can you think of any problems with doing this. I would put a diode in the feed from the 14V adaptor to the leisure battery so that current does not go the wrong way when the mains are not plugged in and I am running things from the leisure battery. Any thoughts on this are appreciated and any pointers on where to look at wiring diagrams for campers...

cheers,

JCE

Fritz
80-90 Mem No: 380

Charging,,,,,,

Post by Fritz »

I guess what you are suggesting is a piece of pi$$ to an auto electrician, but us mere mortals tend to depend on the tried and trusted ZIG units found in most campers.....I understand these things can be expensive to buy new, but then again e-bay seems to bring up most of the best bargins for that sort of stuff.

Regards

Fritz,,,,,,
One day you will find me,,
Driving in my Camper,
With a Surf and Paisley wrap on both sides....

Westy.Club.Joker
80-90 Mem No: 2863
Location: Sunny Lancs. 1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker pop-top

Post by Westy.Club.Joker »

See the earlier thread about battery charging, Irish Dave gives a full description and install fotos of doing it with an onboard charger unit, etc. (actually similar to OE Westy fitment, but modern type charger).

Much easier and more reliable to run eveything as required from the leisure batts which will be being charged as you go by the onboard charger, so requires minimal fuss etc with dual wiring and other such things :)
Keep it real.

Search first - ask second ;>}

johncelliot
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by johncelliot »

Thanks for the pointer. I checked out Irish Dave's posts in the other thread, and that is the info I was looking for.

cheers,

JCE