help needed Overheating etc

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

artymax
80-90 Mem No: 2767

help needed Overheating etc

Post by artymax »

Hi

Took my van down to devon at the weekend after 95 miles the temp guage light started flashing and the needle went of the scale as i had a massive explosion of water out the back on the way down. AA called - an airlock was blamed he fixed me and sent me on my way. travelled rest of the way (30 miles) fine as well as a couple of short hjourneys there. on the way back i had to stop half way as he was overheating again, added more water and got home just in one piece. dad has looked at it and we have now:- bled the water system for a good hour and a half whilst running engine and put in 4 more kettles worth of water, run it 5 miles then added 1 pt more. we have replaced the pipe that leads from header tank cap to expansion cap, replaced cap. took it 20 miles ok today but it started with the flashing light again on the way home. gauge averaging halfway rising on hills and falling on straights.

HAS anyone got any ideas what might be wrong and how we can fix it ? (1.7 diesel T25) need to solve it quick as its my daily drive :)

cheers
Short for Maxine..... I'm a GIRLY!!!

"wanna flake with that??????"

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

have you checked your hose connections for leaks ?engine Hoses to pipes and rad hoses.Is the replacement cap genuine VW. G.S.F caps can some times have faulty valves even new. Blockage in rad possible or thermostat stuck closed .Have you looked to see if there is oil in the expansion tank if it has oil cooler is leaking or a head gasket problem a possibility.Replacement oil cooler aprox £30.00 this is the part that fits between the oil filter to engine block with coolent hoses it breaks down and leaks with age sometimes.Head gasket look and see if there are any tiny bubbles going into the expansion tank with the engine running slow or fast.Cylinder head troubles are pricy to fix

artymax
80-90 Mem No: 2767

Post by artymax »

cheers camper. already fitted new thermostat so its not that but will check the other things!!! fingers x'd its one of the smaller things
Short for Maxine..... I'm a GIRLY!!!

"wanna flake with that??????"