Rusty Arches

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mrwood
80-90 Mem No: 3460

Rusty Arches

Post by mrwood »

Hi All,

I've got a few vans to look at over this week and one of these is suffering from rust on the rear wheel arch which has not been sorted by the owner.

It sounds like it will need a new panel and spraying.

How does the panel fit and is it a DIY job and if not whats an average price I should expect as a pro job??

I tried the wiki and a search but didn't find a conclusive answer

I'll let you know how it goes and will check for all problem areas from the buying guide

Cheers :)

Ryan

billymaya
80-90 Mem No: 3293

Post by billymaya »

hi there i have the same problem with both my rear wheel arches unless your good with a welder it wont be a diy job, price was order pends where u take it but its def worth phoning round as when i was looking i came across so many different quotes from £2000 to £300 altho that was for slightly more than just a rear arch,

try alan schofield for the panels you need they make good quality stuff which is 3 times better than the ones from just kampers,

im having mine done by a person i know who lives down the road from me and for replacing 2 rear arches,sills and side panel plus primer and stone chip protection he's charing me £400 which isnt bad at all really,

if its just one rear arch it shouldnt be to costly the panel will be about £35 quid i think

VWlewis
80-90 Mem No: 2852

Post by VWlewis »

I had the rear panel (behind the wheel) and a front wheel arch replaced by Steve at Gasure and - he charged me £100 for labour to cut out the old panels and do the welding and this included some other work too.. I finished them and painted them .. seemed a good price if you live near Chester!

I got the panels from JK - not impressed with the wheel arch though - lots of ripples in the pressing.

VW Lewis
VW Fan :D Learned to drive in a T2, then drove a T1, later a T4, then a T5 (and a few Audis and Passats)
Now a proud T3 Caravelle GL 2.1 DJ WBX owner: "Dora the Explorer" .. by my reckoning, a T15 Driver!
Dr T15 Speaks!

mrwood

Post by mrwood »

Thanks for the replies

VWLewis, £100 sounds blooming reasonable and may be the best option as my welding is not up to scratch enough for me to ever be happy with the job. Was that a long time ago? Sounds like I may have to call on gasure's services :)

Unfortunately I couldn't get round to see the van today so am heading round in the morning and will let you know the extent of the job and maybe even take some pics to show you before I put in an offer.

Billymaya - Sounds like you're getting a good deal for your work

If I get it I'll just have to decide whether to go genuine VW or for Alan Schofield panels :?

VWlewis
80-90 Mem No: 2852

Post by VWlewis »

mrwood wrote:Thanks for the replies

VWLewis, £100 sounds blooming reasonable and may be the best option as my welding is not up to scratch enough for me to ever be happy with the job. Was that a long time ago?

Not long ago - last autumn - and he also sorted out some plates under my T25 that were well eaten by the rust worm. You can also take tha family to Chester Zoo whilst he does the work! :D

VW lewis
VW Fan :D Learned to drive in a T2, then drove a T1, later a T4, then a T5 (and a few Audis and Passats)
Now a proud T3 Caravelle GL 2.1 DJ WBX owner: "Dora the Explorer" .. by my reckoning, a T15 Driver!
Dr T15 Speaks!

billymaya
80-90 Mem No: 3293

Post by billymaya »

conserning the panels i cant speak for the genuine vw panels as ive not seen them although ive heard they are ruddy expensive,the justkamper ones are the cheapest but this shows in the quality of them they are made with very thin matieral and as vw lewis stated they can be very wrinkled at pressings and come as bare metal,

alan schofield are a tad more expensive but you can feel the quality just by holding them,much more to them well built with smooth and clean curves and they also come with a layer of black base paint, ive got a spare cataloge of alan schofields stuff if you want it let me know your address thru pm and ill post it to you :)

mrwood

Post by mrwood »

VWlewis wrote: Not long ago - last autumn - and he also sorted out some plates under my T25 that were well eaten by the rust worm. You can also take tha family to Chester Zoo whilst he does the work! :D
VW lewis

It sounds like that may be a nice day trip in the future :)

Thanks for the advice guys

Billy I'll drop you a PM later today, thanks again :)

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I do have a new, unused R/H/R rear arch available here in Cov - its the larger panel.