disappeared in a ploom of smoke

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bigfish
80-90 Mem No: 3448

disappeared in a ploom of smoke

Post by bigfish »

I'm wondering if anyone out there can help?

On start up my temp warning light came on and stayed on, I checked the coolant level which "was" fine, then set off to work.
The light remained on and the temperature just kept rising until i pulled in the gate at work to be greeted by security who kindly informed me that i was steaming at the back, i think the whole of the M6 could of told me that!!!
Anyway, warning light from the start? temp gauge rising above half way and now steamed 3/4 of my water away? any idea?

thanks in advance :?
take it easy - 3447

tonytech
80-90 Mem No: 477

Post by tonytech »

Could use a little more info.... Like petrol or diesel engine.

But. I'd start with a split hose. or failed coolant tank top.
The warning light tells you the level in the expansion tank is low.
The expansion tank is behind the Left hand light cluster and is not visible through the flap (that is the top up tank)

T
There are 10 kinds of people. those who understand Binary and those who dont

bigfish

Post by bigfish »

It was a 2.1. but now has an underpowered replacemenet 1.9 petrol in it (i bought it like that).

I checked the coolant level in both the expansion tank(behind plate) and the main tank (behind cluster) and both seemed fine.
There was water around the sensor on tank behind cluster which i'm guessing could point to cracked cap i suppose, but would that cause it to dump the water??

I've looked at it on the car park, now that i can see it after the steam has gone and there seems to be a puddle of water to the offside side of the gearbox, does this point to the split pipe you mentioned? if so what is it and how do i go about replacing it, as my haynes manual is as much use as a chocolate fireguard!!

It still plays on my mind that the warning light being on from cold, with water in the system could point to something else such as the thermostat?? but i'm new to the watercooled VW scene, as i used to have an Aircooled so it's like starting all over again. :oops:
take it easy - 3447

tonytech

Post by tonytech »

The sensor on my 2.1 cracked.
The top came off, leaving the screw thread in the tank.
Yes a crack or split in the sensor will dump water.
The water expands as it heats up. Normaly this will pressurise the system. with a leak, water will be forced out.

Did the top up tank empty? a cracked cap or split hose may stop water being sucked in to the system

The warning light, only indicates overheating ( not possible when engine is cold) or low water level. Though the electrics can be a bit crappy after 15 years.

I'm away from my van and books at the moment (working) so unable to point to which pipes are the problem. Some one who has better knowledge will post later.

I'd top up the system (fill the expansion tank, screw on the top, then fill the topup tank) and have a better look at where you think water may be dripping>

T

bigfish

Post by bigfish »

i've just been out again and both the tanks are now almost empty, guessin that's due to the amount of steam i had this morning, there is a puddle of water gathering under the vehicle which makes me think it's more than just a cracked cap. I can't get under the van at the moment with it being lowered 40mm and i've got a suit on too, but from what i can see there's two pipes that run down the van just near the gearbox and water sems to be dripping down one of those...

i forgot to mention that when i pulled up this morning it sounded like an old steam train with the steam being high pressured and releasing from the underside of the van.

I'm guessing a replacment pipe immeadiately is needed and an overhaul of the remaining rubber/metal pipework is in order over time..

thanks for your help Tony and any further help/advice from other members would be really appreachiated

regards
take it easy - 3447

bigbluebus
80-90 Mem No: 589

Post by bigbluebus »

bigfish whereabouts in preston are you?
member 589, ex syncronaut 42, Stoxkarts #600

http://www.stoxkarts.co.uk/

bigfish

Post by bigfish »

Walton le Dale just near bamber bridge

Y?
take it easy - 3447

bigbluebus

Post by bigbluebus »

just curious, in Preston meself

don't want to scare you but bitter experience tells me water loss is usually more expensive than it first appears

Only things I'd say is don't try n drive it home and don't be tempted to fit 2nd hand hoses

bigbluebus

Post by bigbluebus »

seems to be a puddle of water to the offside side of the gearbox

cooling pipes exit towards front on o/s of gearbox. I've popped 2 of the black 'through bulkhead' plastic connectors now

How long has the 1.9 been fitted? Has system been bled up properly?

You in RAC or AA?

bigfish

Post by bigfish »

:D alls well everybody and thanks for your advice and help..

I got the van home(only 5 miles) after stopping twice to fill her back up with water and a temporary bodge with plumbers tape, insulation tape and alot of luck.

got underneath to find one of the main rubber pipes had split back 2" but as it turned out the guy i'd bought the bus off had a box of bits and luckily there was a pipe that was near as damn it the same length and the right dia, so popped it on, then spent two hours on an incline trying to bleed the system....

Touch wood all seems well this morning on the run in and i'll find out soon as i'm off to Wales in it this w'end.. Yes i am in the AA and the lass is in the RAC so we've got a lift both ways if needs be.. :wink:

thanks again.
take it easy - 3447

tonytech

Post by tonytech »

Good work.
Enjoy your Wend.

T