power steering advice please

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

drumnut182
80-90 Mem No: 3038

power steering advice please

Post by drumnut182 »

Anyone changed their hydraulic power steering pipes on there van at all?...mine are leaking and quite rusty now..i assume i have to drain the system etc....a good link explaining the procedure would help if poss...or tips.
Does anyone have a contact for having them made up?
Also, what are they made of? Apparently i can't buy them off the shelf now and VW dont make them anymore

Cheers ROB

Is a T25 1600 Turbo Diesel 1989 5 speed.
t25 Vanagon California 1600td 1989 LHD

simoncummins
80-90 Mem No: 1468

Post by simoncummins »

I had mine done a few months ago used Pertec spoke the the guy direct and came round and did the job for £70. This may help http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/hose.htm but it is much the same as the guy did for me let me know if you need any more info
Simon.

drumnut182

Post by drumnut182 »

cheers Simon...what was the branch of Pirtec that you used and the person who you arranged it with if poss?..Tel number?
Did you get both the pipes made or just one and did they make them flexi or solid metal?...and did they come with connectors?
Mine are pretty rusted and now leaking so i cant use the van! I assume you took them off and refitted them yourself or did you get someone else to do them for you?...im thinking of doing it myself so any tips would be appreciated....also thanks for the link, some useful bits on there even tho ill get them made over here rather than Canada.

Cheers

ROB
Im in Southampton...

Rozzo
80-90 Mem No: 3339

Post by Rozzo »

pirtek usually take them off, make them,, fit them,, and fill back up with oil then test for leaks.
LT owner and positively rattling around with the new found space
member 3339

drumnut182

Post by drumnut182 »

oh that sounds good...how much did you pay for all that? and how much did you have done?
Prob seems like the best option by the sounds of it....

simoncummins
80-90 Mem No: 1468

Post by simoncummins »

What you need to do is find the pertec man and his van when he has just finished his shopping or something like that and speak to him direct thats what i did and as i said it cost £70. Both pipes he made up are pressure pipes but only the feed pipe has to be pressure. I just cut the old steel ones away then ran the rubber ones thrugh the dip in the fuel tank then used zip ties to secure it to the bottom of the van following the water pipes. The pertec guy came round to my house and we both fitted them he checked for leakes and i have had no problems since.

drumnut182

Post by drumnut182 »

phoned around abit and the guy at Pirtek said if its just a hole in the pipe and the condition of the pipes is ok then you can do a repair rather than having the whole pipe (s) changed...so thats what im going to do...i have found the section where its leaking from and will cut that section out and replace with another new (flexi) bit..he says you can do it like you would normal plumbing (with an olive etc) as long as you use the correct high pressure hydraulic conponents (which ARE different!)..ie: the flex and the compression conectors...bout 15 quid the lot (materials)
Obviously if they are really really corroded its worth getting them replaced but you have to clean them up abit and have a look.
Will let you know wether its as good as it sounds!

Cheers
ROB :D

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

Don't know who said they aren't available from VW - they are still listed and have halved in price recently - probably dealer couldn't be arsed.
Bit pissed as I bought one last year for twice the price, but then I needed it last year :roll:

ok lhd low pressure front pipe is obsolete, the rest are still showing

and RHD rack now just over £600 plus vat outright, that's a £400 reduction

drumnut182

Post by drumnut182 »

went to Pirtek...bought an hydraulic joint for the high pressure pipe...(which hada pinsized tiny hole in it!) fitted it and is ab fine now....£2 :)