Gearbox adjusting help.

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

drumnut182
80-90 Mem No: 3038

Gearbox adjusting help.

Post by drumnut182 »

Anyone got any tips or links on how to adjust my gears so that they work...have just fitted another gearbox but cant get 1st and 5th...i assume that the lever needs adjusting or something...not having done gearbox stuff before its a newey for me....got reverse 2nd 3rd and 4th which all work fine.
Gonna give it a go tomorrow.

Its a 5 speed 1600TD t25 LH drive Diesel, California.

Many thanks
ROB
t25 Vanagon California 1600td 1989 LHD

lhd
80-90 Mem No: 1808

Post by lhd »

Was it a 5 speed originaly, if not you will need to change the linkage as they are different.
I think thats right.

Rob.

Rozzo
80-90 Mem No: 3339

Post by Rozzo »

i've read that too somewhere.
LT owner and positively rattling around with the new found space
member 3339

drumnut182

Post by drumnut182 »

yes it was a 5 speed before, so linkage should be the same....

Horza
80-90 Mem No: 1123

Post by Horza »

have you put it back together the same way it came apart? I couldn't get 1st 3rd or 5th after having mine back on due to fitting the little plate thing to the wrong side of the lugs on the gearbox.
Euan

Economic migrant, cultural extremist and religious bigot.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Have you read the 1000 odd words in the Wiki on this yet :D

Please use the Wiki first

Here are some of the Wiki topics on improving gearchange and discussing the reasons why...

Sloppy g/c - improving
G/c reluctance
Gearlever pivot repair kit - installing
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

drumnut182

Post by drumnut182 »

I will check that as i havent yet and its a good point..thought it was obvious where it went but will take another look...just had a look at the gearstick and underneath and all looks a bit dirty so ill clean all that as well and regrease and see if that does it!
Have read lots of stuff but nothing that specific at the mo...will keep a reading!!

Thanks...let me know if you av any other ideas..
ROB

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

First thing is to see how much play is in all the sliders and bushes (and front lever ball-joint)... even though it was working before, they can be a bit touch and go, just about selecting OK and any disturbance upsets things.

Doesn't sound like the centre spline joint, so leave well alone for the moment, but getting someone to waggle lever whilst underneath, is the central spider joint sloppy, or the rear slider bush (cheap).

Then see what happens at the back when they go for 1st and 5th, watch the movement and see if you can help it in manually - if it then goes in, and both are in the same direction (pushing the selector rod back) then you need to extend the central spline a bit, or take out some play

I suspect there is a lot of lost movement in that front nylon ball-joint or the lever pivot in the box under the floor.

Think that plate goes on the front of the gbox lug, not behind it, but that normally stops 2nd/4th going in I think

Syncronaut No. 1

lhd
80-90 Mem No: 1808

Post by lhd »

First thing is to see how much play is in all the sliders and bushes (and front lever ball-joint)... even though it was working before, they can be a bit touch and go, just about selecting OK and any disturbance upsets things.

Doesn't sound like the centre spline joint, so leave well alone for the moment, but getting someone to waggle lever whilst underneath, is the central spider joint sloppy, or the rear slider bush (cheap).

Then see what happens at the back when they go for 1st and 5th, watch the movement and see if you can help it in manually - if it then goes in, and both are in the same direction (pushing the selector rod back) then you need to extend the central spline a bit, or take out some play

I suspect there is a lot of lost movement in that front nylon ball-joint or the lever pivot in the box under the floor.

Think that plate goes on the front of the gbox lug, not behind it, but that normally stops 2nd/4th going in I think
:shock: Thats why I left mine alone, it sounds very daunting.
Mine is fine when cold but once it has been driven for half an hour it is slightly reluctant to go into fourth ( 5 speed ). I have to gently push it forward with a slight wriggle and it slots in.
Rob.

drumnut182

Post by drumnut182 »

Yeah thanks, doing the manual thing after a cuppa..i did move the plate on the gearbox which was put on wrong side (by me!) and then that gave me all the gears except 1st (which is a dogleg) which goes all the way over to the left (mines LH drive) and back towards me...but it wont go at the moment! It goes across but not back towards me and into gear...its this im now stuck on. I have to check of course what the gearbox end is doing and wether it actually does go in but to do that i have to take linkage off again...so thats the next job. Im assuming it does go in gear otherwise...!

What i need to know is is there anything else i can try at this stage to get the 1st gear going?...All gears including reverse work fine now ive moved the linkage plate into the correct position..except 1st gear!

ive ajusted the adjusting plate in all directions at the gearstick end btw and it didnt really make any difference to anything esp 1st..could it be something to do with worn stoppers in the front box or lack of grease etc (i havent re greased it yet after cleaning)

Ideas please gentlemen.

Thanks again for the linkage plate advice...

ROB

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

ve ajusted the adjusting plate in all directions at the gearstick end btw and it didnt really make any difference to anything esp 1st..could it be something to do with worn stoppers in the front box or lack of grease etc (i havent re greased it yet after cleaning)

Yes - it's 's probably hanging up on the detent plate (stopper plate) underneath - though usually when it does this you can push right down and find the gap to get it through - Might be because the nylon buffers on the fork at bottom of lever are either worn strangely or hanging oft - best take a look to see whether lever is to far aft or fwd when someone trying to get it through the gate into first.

If all the play thats fairly obviously in a lot of the bushes is taken out, then it'd like as not be OK - one that you can do easily is the bush and pin on that lever fork. This pin comes in the repair kit you see in theWiki photo-article on lever ball-joint kit repair - think that kit has just been reduced by VW, along with a lot of other stuff.

Syncronaut No. 1