Pathetic question!

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Balaclava
80-90 Mem No: 2599

Pathetic question!

Post by Balaclava »

I know, I should know basics like this. Remind me, what does the red light mean on the dash with the battery symbol beside it next to the oil lamp. Mine has just come on and won't go out. I've filled up with water, not overheating. Presumably something electrical is beginning to go wrong?
You know where it is. The six symbols right in the middle of the dash. The light comes on when you turn on the ignition and then goes out as soon as you move off, normally. Why is it staying on?

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

Post by fairwynds »

That be yer alternator/low charge......
check the connections on rear of alternator first.....they can become grotty and loose.....

With a multimeter you can check what your alternator is pushing out (14ish amps)....
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

Rozzo
80-90 Mem No: 3339

Post by Rozzo »

that'll be the charging light so it probably means either your alternator belt is slipping or the alternator is up the swanny.
this of course means your battery will go flat so i wouldn't go too far without getting it fixed or you could end up stranded. :cry:
LT owner and positively rattling around with the new found space
member 3339

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Thanks for those two speedy replies. Yes there is a noise in first gear from the engine that sounds like a belt is slipping. How do I fix that?

Silly me but what does the alternator look like???? :oops:

As you may have gathered I know sweet F A about anything mechanical.

Shootz
80-90 Mem No: 1963

Post by Shootz »

Mine went.
If like me you dont tackle much engine wise,theres only one thing to do!
Take it to a mechanic!.
Living the dream right next to the Indian ocean.

stuckin88
80-90 Mem No: 134

Post by stuckin88 »

yer alternator problem maybe jus worn out brushes--new brushcarrier/regulator about £15--
Billy...Defected to white box but still lurking.

cumbriankeith
80-90 Mem No: 38

amps, volts whatever...

Post by cumbriankeith »

With a multimeter you can check what your alternator is pushing out (14ish amps)....

I think you mean volts - amps will vary according to state of battery charge and what load items are switched on. It's hard to measure amps anyway - without a fancy ammeter.
Keith
Membership number 38

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Before the light came on I did hear a noise from the engine that sounded like belts slipping. Mainly in first gear. This was after a 400 mile journey to York and back. The light came on permanently and the sound of belts slipping disappeared.
Could this mean I just need to adjust or replace a belt rather than putting in a new alternator? Does the main fan belt run the alternator?

The van is running ok except for that damn red light that stays on.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

If it stays on it probably not the belt, but I think the message here is quite simple - Go and Look - the belt might be even missing - broken (but I doubt it)...

If its squeals soon after startup it means its either worn (frayed at edges) or loose OR the battery is discharging a lot and need sa heavy charge after startup..

Test the belt play between pulleys by pressing on it, should give about an inch or less with nominal pressure (very crudely speaking)

H&S Don't do this with the engine running :shock:

PS. Can't you find a DIY or Pro mechanic just to look at it for you?
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Balaclava wrote:The van is running ok except for that damn red light that stays on.

Not for long it won't friend ... try switching the lights on and the wipers and see how fast they are .. it's the first warning that we had of our alt. going up't swanny.

To swap an alt. is literally a 15 minute job and a new belt is ~£5. It may just be the blue signal wire that's come off.

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Thanks guys, I thought I would see what everybody here had to say first before going to a mechanic. I went to one yesterday and he said taking out the alternator was quite an awkward job. Of course he would say that, wouldn't he?
I will check the belt etc and then get my usual guy to have a look. Thanks again.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

.. and Ian said check the wires off the back, probably the smaller thinner one is most suspect

Syncronaut No. 1

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Balaclava wrote:I went to one yesterday and he said taking out the alternator was quite an awkward job. Of course he would say that, wouldn't he?

Cobblers ! You need a 13mm socket on a ratchet and a 13mm spanner, or 2 13mm spanners ... it's really that complicated.

What you got in there a V12 5.3 Jag injun ? Perhaps he's thinking it's a T4 .... :whistle
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Did you know that when you open that secret trapdoor in the back that you can actually view the whole engine? Amazing! :D I just done that and I saw that the top belt has disappeared completely and when I tried to turn the alternator it was stuck fast. I took it back to the previous mechanic who works on cars outside his house and he said it had seized up and I would still need a new one. I though I could just replace the belt.

Why did it seize up, I wonder? Any ideas? Obviously that caused the belt to break. It was making those squealing noises before it broke.

This guy rang up his parts supplier and they quoted 120 quid for a new alternator. I'll look for one on Breakersweb on the net.

He also said it would be difficult to replace the top belt because he would have to get out the lower belt first etc, etc.

I think I might just try and do it myself with those spanners you suggested, Ian.
Any more suggestions? What a great forum this is!

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Feintly possible it seized because the belt was too tight, but usually some combination of age, dust and "pooh" and long-term high-load - you never know, he might have fitted it recently and fitted a duff one that'd been sitting outside for yonks, rusting :?:

Syncronaut No. 1