Urgent help please!

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

graeme1210
80-90 Mem No: 3483

Urgent help please!

Post by graeme1210 »

I am having an absolute nightmare getting my van registered with dvla.
Had it since January and still haven't gone any further than the mot
station.

After months of them loosing paperwork etc it was called in for
inspection - after much stress and grief I managed to get them to come
to me rather than trailer it to them.

Anyway they cant find the chassis number - the one located on the door
plate is fine but where the hell is it on the chassis?

The underside is undersealled - have scrapped off loads of it but no sign
of it.

Its a 1981 Diesel LHD

Also he then needs to date it - anyone got any pointers for that?

Can anyone give me detailed idiot proof guidance - location as viewed
from the front of the vehicle? I really need this on the road - I've shelled
out 3 months insurance for nothing so far and it's really starting to annoy
me now!

Thanks

syncroand101
80-90 Mem No: 500

Post by syncroand101 »

The one on the pillar by the door is the chassis number...As far as I am aware, that is the plate.

Is it an import from Germany? If so you should have the German log book, which will also list the chassis number to confirm it AND also its date of 1st registration and manufacture. What Chassis number did they use on the MOT?

Sounds like you are having a nightmare. Never had a problem, not taken more than 20 mins and a 3 day wait before..

graeme1210

Post by graeme1210 »

It is a german import, I've looked in the wiki - think I need to do some more scrapping at the underseal - hopefully the vin is on the outrigger - if anyone has a detailed photo it would be great.

The german log book is with dvla - the chassis was on the documents along with manufacture and registration dates but that enough for them obviously.

ebs
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by ebs »

looking from backof vehicle look on the outrigger behind the passenger side wheelthe number will be facing towards the rear of the van :)

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Chassis no. is where he said, rear-ward facing surface of right-hand front chassis outrigger, the very outer part of which forms the front offside jacking point.

The 10th character of the chassis number indicate the model year, from which you can infer the range of possible build dates. From the serial number you can infer the month it was built. See here.

The 'first registered' date should be on the German registration document.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

javawolf
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by javawolf »

I had this same issue when registering mine with the DVLA. I had a haynes manual to hand and located the number, I had to really scrape the underseal back to read it. The DVLA guy was really good and worked with me to read the number.

It is located on the chassis member behind the front wheel on the right hand side (LHD passenger side). If you kneel by the sliding door in line with the handle and look under your van toward the front you will see a beam running across the van, this beam has the number stamped on it, on the surface facing you located centrally. Scrape the underseal off (maybe some light sanding paper might help) and the number should appear.

If you can't find it still I can post a picture but its dark outside right now. Make sure you recover with paint or underseal after the inspection, I think for the MOT the plate on the door is fine and they don't look for this again.

The German documentation had everything else I needed including the first reg date.

_wendy_
80-90 Mem No: 3333

Post by _wendy_ »

our renault camper that we had before this van didnt have a vin plate at all, but dvla still let us register it off the MOT certificate
_wendy_
xx
This Signature was typed slowly for those that cant read fast

graeme1210

Post by graeme1210 »

Many thanks for all the help - found it this morning. Under loads of underseal.

The inspection guy was really good - he gave me his mobile number to arrange another visit. So on Monday it should be sorted and then after months of waiting I can actually drive it!