1.9TD vacuum hose route help needed… please.

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

new crew

1.9TD vacuum hose route help needed… please.

Post by new crew »

I'll try to keep to the point here but for a bit of background;

I bought a T25 DOKA as a non runner with the original 1.6TD engine in pieces in the cab with a knackered head.
So I bought a 1.9TD engine from a 95 golf and dived in and went for the conversion, without too many problems.

All seemed ok but it was mightily slow. Turned out the turbo was not working.

So I changed the turbo for one that came off a 95ish T4 1.9TD. the turbos were different but seemed to fit and work after re-fabbing another exhaust.

The problems I now have are;
Very very poor fuel consumption.
Still slow I think (60-65mph max).
Brake pedal is slow to rise back to position after depressing brakes.

The last point led me to think it is something to do with the vacuum hose routes.

I have 4 vacuum hose connecting points on the engine and turbo in total but are unsure if they are connected up right.

I have one vacuum hose running from the waste gate on the turbo to the connection on the diaphragm on top on the diesel pump and one hose from the elbow on the turbo to the tee piece that goes into the large diameter vacuum hose to the vacuum pump.

I may have referred to the items incorrectly by name but I hope that makes sense and would be very grateful if someone could tell me if the vacuum hoses I have are connected up right or if I should blank some off instead.

Thanks in advance for any advise.
Neil

Ivorblueun
80-90 Mem No: 1407

Post by Ivorblueun »

Hi Neil have a look on here vagcat you will have to register then look up the model golf and engine section then vacuum exhaust recirculation. I take it you are running with the golf inlet and exhaust manifolds as opposed to using the jx ones, looking at the diag you will probably have to blank a few things off, I'm sure some body on here will have experienced the same problem and be able to give you a definitive answer
Stu

mine was a blue 89 Td Hitop

new crew

Post by new crew »

cheers mate, that site is great reference.
still unsure what goes where but i'll have another look tomorrow.

i didn't use the EGR valve thingy...

thanks anyway :D

ebs
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by ebs »

the waste gate pipe goes to the cold side of turbo (compressor housing)the pipi from top of pump goes to inlet manifold the brake vacum pump should only be connected to servo pipe hope this helps

new crew

Post by new crew »

Cheers guys, still a little confused and unsure. any one have a pic of there set-up they could post here or tell me where to find a pic showing the routes.

ebs, thank you. i'm just not sure what you mean by; brake vacum pump should only be connected to servo pipe.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Neil,

Is it a Garrett or a KKK turbo. KKK should have solid pipe from compressor side to wastegate. garrett has a rubber pipe to wastegate, just a short loop.

There is an orifice on the top of the inlet manifold, 3mm ish, or should be, comes off at an angle from the inlet hose stub, brass. That should hook up to the LDA diaphragm housing on the top of the injection pump. If no LDA then block the orifice on manifold.

The vacuum pup at back of block behind the opil filter head, is a larger hose which connects through to the vacuum servo system, this is about 1/2 or 5/8" hose bore at a guess and runs behind firewall down lhs of vehicle (usually)

Can put some pics up when got time, but will try to find some links to pre-exisiting in the meantime.

Where are you? Your profile needs filling in a bit?? i..e you might be next-door to soemeone who could sort this out in 5 minutes.

The blach hose (without silver bleed valve) is what you want to see for the Garrett. The KK is quite different.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

Ivorblueun
80-90 Mem No: 1407

Post by Ivorblueun »

I think he has the set up with the extra plumbing for the vacuum system and exhaust recirculation possibly with pneumatic idling there's a hose connected off the waste gate hose thru a solenoid valve along with other bits and bobs if you look in the vagcat under 95 golf diesel you will see what i mean.
Stu

mine was a blue 89 Td Hitop

new crew

Post by new crew »

thanks all for your help. afraid i've still not got it sorted yet but hope to have a good look and get it right the wkend.

i have a garrett turbo and a tee piece in the large diameter vacuum hose from the pump to servo which connects to my turbo.

should i blank this off to cure my brake pedal problem?

i'm in dudley by the way.

thanks again for the help so far.

new crew

Post by new crew »

harry mann - should i be fitting a bleed valve as you have shown? whats the benifit in delaying waste gate - keeping boost longer i guess. will that make a big difference?

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

It increases the boost from about 7.5 psi up to max of about 12~15 depending on how much you bleed.. yes it makes a difference, but mainly if you subsequently increase fuelling, quiote significantly.

Probably best first just to get the engine running nicely as it is, and let it settle down, as you'll alos need to blank off the Blow Off Valve in the inlet manifold (normally set about 12 psi)

I still can't get behind a vac pump hose being connected in any way to the turbo - but could be wrong. Brake servo is important.. just get that working first I'd say, without breaking into that line
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1