Roof lining on a tin top

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

The_blue
80-90 Mem No: 3484

Roof lining on a tin top

Post by The_blue »

Was thinking about using the bendable MDF to make a roof lining on but '82 pannel conversion. Anyone tried it? any tips or tricks?

Was thinking that i could glue or fiberglass some lats of wood from fron to back and tacking or screwing the mdf in place.

What do you think?

billymaya
80-90 Mem No: 3293

Post by billymaya »

hi mate i know of a good place called westcountry trimmers that do some class headlineing and trimming at a really good price might be worth giving them a ring they might be able to do something for you and send it up as your up country no web address im afraid but might be worth giving them a ring :)

West Country Trimmers
Pottery Road
Bovey Tracey
TQ13 9JJ(Road Map)
Devon
Tel: 01626 833722
Fax: 01626 833144

guz
80-90 Mem No: 1762

Post by guz »

i might have an old 'velle headlining tucked away
in my storage unit...somewhere.

just put one up for sale for a mate on brickyard
and its sold straight away.

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

I did my tin top wth 3mm hardboard then covered it with wall carpet.You need to measure a arc taken from where you can screw the board above the rear side window line on each side.Or cut a 4 inch strip for each side then pop rivet it on the board adjusting it to get a good line to screw into the sides.If you have no help to hold the board while you screw into the roof braces .A method i used was to cut a lengh of wood 3"x3" x aprox 3ft use a small trolley jack to push the wood on to the middle of the cut hardboard .This seems to form a arc on the hardboard as to allow a few self tapper screws to fix it into positionI suggest you cover it with wall carpet after its screwed becouse the carpet binds up the drill bit when its being drilled .

PEET
80-90 Mem No: 2528

Post by PEET »

AVF leisure did do them to order brand new incl poles for £75ish, trim to fit, will put piccy up if ya want?
Thats PEET as in FEET!!!

The_blue

Post by The_blue »

I didn't want a vinal roof if poss. I wanted something i could fix things to.

corleone
80-90 Mem No: 1106

Post by corleone »

I'm not sure that MDF is the way to go - condensation can gather up there especially on cold but sunny days, mdf could expand from this and leave the whole thing in a mess. I suppose if its sealed with PVA or something then that would be ok

In addition, the heat that is generated on a tin top can reach very high temps which renders most glues useless. Fibreglass would prob be the way to go, possibly using flexiply (pricey).

I thought of this a few years ago as my headlining is gross but decided against it. If you do, let us know the results :)

Fox McIntyre
80-90 Mem No: 3364

Post by Fox McIntyre »

Mine is fibreglass, and apears to have been built in-van.. no access into it to feed wires though, but i'd have to agree with the fibreglass thing.. pretty strong too..

futurecut
80-90 Mem No: 2407

Post by futurecut »

3mm Hardboard is the way to go. Cut it to shape, use a few rivets or srewws on each side to hold it up, prop it with 2'2's in the middle to give it a pleasing curved profile and fill the cavity with expanding foam through holes cut for purpose or those cut for lights/speakers etc. Curtain track obscures the edges well. Won't move and provides good insulation and sound deadening. Easy peasy. Saying that i'd probably have gone for a headlining if i'd known ava did them back then! Hight temp glue from woolies is good.

PEET
80-90 Mem No: 2528

Post by PEET »

Its not made of vinyl its the padded cloth material made for the job. Also you can see where you can mount stuff before installing it as i have, loox like a factory fit but was jus an afternnon of grunting sweating n swearing to do! :lol:
Thats PEET as in FEET!!!

middx2000
80-90 Mem No: 0

roof headling

Post by middx2000 »

try middlesexmotorcaravans 0208 952 4045.We can supply and fit a cloth type headlining for £150

The_blue

Post by The_blue »

futurecut wrote:3mm Hardboard is the way to go. Cut it to shape, use a few rivets or srewws on each side to hold it up, prop it with 2'2's in the middle to give it a pleasing curved profile and fill the cavity with expanding foam through holes cut for purpose or those cut for lights/speakers etc. Curtain track obscures the edges well. Won't move and provides good insulation and sound deadening. Easy peasy. Saying that i'd probably have gone for a headlining if i'd known ava did them back then! Hight temp glue from woolies is good.

might give that a try but i'm going to add some of the silver coated bubble wrap as insulation.