oil in water AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

thenaylortribe
80-90 Mem No: 3574

oil in water AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Post by thenaylortribe »

enough of the shouting...

So after cooking things a bit when alternator tensioner wheel collapsed, I now have a bit of oil in the coolant system. Brand new expansion tank is getting very dirty.
Running a 1.9TD AAZ engine in T25 and I think the head gasket needs changing.
Is this a diy job or best left to the professionals (and no I don't mean Bodie and Doyle!) .
If so does anyone know of anybody that can do this in the Southampton/Winchester area and roughly how much?

Cheers..Lee

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

You do need a few special tools and knowledge so maybe if you're asking, then the answer is 'yes'.. dunno about sown there, keep asking on the forum for a good place to get it done. Won't be partic. cheap though.. unfort.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

thenaylortribe

Post by thenaylortribe »

bugger!.
I am presuming its the head gasket...this all got started when alternator tensioner wheel snapped. Blew a hole in the expansion tank so replaced with new and its very discoloured now after 200 miles.
No other problems, oil is fine (no emulsion or water separation) and no smoke from the exhaust.

irish.david
80-90 Mem No: 3347

Post by irish.david »

There's an old trick where you can check a head gasket by looking for bubbles appearing in the expansion tank with the engine running, but I'm not sure if this trick would work on these vans with their elaborate cooling systems. With the engine cold (thermostat closed) the expansion tank is probably the highest point so thats where any exhaust gas that got past the head gasket would go there...

Dave

thenaylortribe

Post by thenaylortribe »

funnily enough I just spoke to a vw mechanic who told me that if the head gasket had gone then the water would pressurise up out through the expansion tank hole..sound about right?

irish.david
80-90 Mem No: 3347

Post by irish.david »

Whether you'd notice any over pressure effects would depend how bad the gasket had gone. If you take the cap off the expansion tank then the whole system would be vented to atmosphere so any exhaust gases passing the head gasket would appear as bubbles.

Dave

Ivorblueun
80-90 Mem No: 1407

Post by Ivorblueun »

mine certainly blew bubbles they could be seen rising in a steady stream in the top tank when the engine was running oil had also got thru to here as well, its about 50 quid for new bolts gaskets etc though be prepared to repair /replace the head once its off as it may be warped and or cracks etc.
Stu

mine was a blue 89 Td Hitop

SplendiferousII
80-90 Mem No: 2893

Post by SplendiferousII »

thenaylortribe

Post by thenaylortribe »

cheers fellas!