Oil level advice, she's a-smokin at speed!

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

wasserleaker
80-90 Mem No: 3058

Oil level advice, she's a-smokin at speed!

Post by wasserleaker »

Read on the wiki that 1.9's [petrol] will burn oil if filled a bit much, does this apply to 2.1's too? as i filled mine to the top line on the dipstick, possibly very slightly more, as it wasn't on the flat, and on a good 80mph run it smoked like a bugger until i slowed down/ let the revs drop a bit, hope this was just a result of the high oil level being burned off, it doesn't smoke at all at lower revs, engine is just about run in after a rebuild, 700 miles on it. will a re-rung and rehoned engine use some oil til its rings are bedded in properly? been taking it steady for 1st 600miles or so, not letting it struggle in a high gear, varying the revs but not revving it excessively. used Comma running in oil, and i'm going to change oil & filter now and check over exh. bolts, timing etc.

T3teedub
80-90 Mem No: 4108

Post by T3teedub »

In my own experience the oil level is best kept between the two marks or slightly towards the lower mark. It needn't be filled to the high mark as it will only be blown out.
Member 4108 (recycled from mem 1404)

wasserleaker

Post by wasserleaker »

Thanks, T3teedub,
reckon i'll fill it just above the lower mark when i do the oil change this week, [on flat ground!] and keep a close eye on the level, oil usage til it's got more miles on it. dont think i'm going to be able to keep to the limited mileage i opted for with my insurance, as i love driving me bus!
at least it's easy to pull the speedo cable out on a T25, to.. .ahem, keep the mileage down, not that i'd condone,or indeed contemplate such a thing. really tho, if i sell my second car and use the T25 as my daily driver, i'll not bother with the limited milage when renewal comes. :wink:

SteveW
80-90 Mem No: 2760

Post by SteveW »

Why not just do a oil and filter change and refill with the correct amount of oil 4.5L :?:

I have found that on my dipstick on level ground 4.5L only just gets to the lower mark and if I go over halfway up the two marks oil is blown out. I now check level at oil change and keep level at that point untill the next change. I also change the filter every time.
Never enough time

T3teedub
80-90 Mem No: 4108

Post by T3teedub »

What SteveW said 8)
Member 4108 (recycled from mem 1404)

wasserleaker

Post by wasserleaker »

Ta for the info, will put 4.5 ltr in this weekend when i give it a post running in check over :)

phade
80-90 Mem No: 3376

Post by phade »

Another hint for all VW owners with a boxer (aka horizontally opposed flat) engine is to always top up the engine oil with the vehicle on level ground. This is especially important with vehicles fitted with a catalytic convertor (eg. Vanagons from the USA, Mexican Beetles, etc.).

This simple tip will prevent you from accidentally overfilling your engine with oil which can cause engine "smoke", poisoned catalytic convertors and possibly erratic engine performance.

The same also applies when you top up the gearbox oil.