"Space Blanket" for insulation/soundproofing

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

madmyk
80-90 Mem No: 3214

"Space Blanket" for insulation/soundproofing

Post by madmyk »

Hi guys,
Any thoughts on using loft insulation (Space Blanket from Homebase) as vehicle insulation and soundproofing medium?

Its cheapish, thick and available so whats the catch? Would it absorb condensation and create rot? Is there a fire risk? Are there other options?

Just finishing the van after respray and into re-build bit, shame to waste the opportunity to sort this out.

Any guidance, thoughts or tips as always greatly appreciated. :D

Myk.
MadMyk
(With 2 dogs)

"and the bug-eyed monster?"......"it's green, yes"

billymaya
80-90 Mem No: 3293

Post by billymaya »

hi mad we are soon to come up against this problem with insulation your right you have to be very careful with what you use as like you said it it absorbs water u could end up with a nasty bit of rot and have to rip your interior out to try and get at it, i was chatting to futbus the other week on here and he told me about this insulation stuff that you can paint on to the inside altho cant for the life of me remember what it was called, but i think the just of it was that it give u that extra bit of warmth and protection added on top of the insulation you choose that is

madmyk

Post by madmyk »

Westie Club Joker suggested something a while back, I think it was a sort of bubble wrap thing with a metallic outer covering. I have seen something matching the description in Focus, at £66 a roll (prob enough to do van on it?) but I am concerned about the condensation.
My thought runs: if its plastic, would that not encourage condensation? Would it be ok if it was securely glued to the outer skin? Does the panel need sealing afterwards with plastic, before you put the cards back on? Is there/should I put drain holes in the bottom of the panels?

Its a bu**er ain't it :?

Still, with the rate of progress (and the amount of work still required, might as well do a thorough job) I got a day or two before I reach critical decision point :)
Hopefully someone may have had some practical experience, and be able to offer advice. We shall see!

Myk.
MadMyk
(With 2 dogs)

maximus
80-90 Mem No: 2930

Post by maximus »

http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/

Click on the insulation bit there maybe something similar in England they sell.

Are you doing a resto Myk??

The_blue
80-90 Mem No: 3484

Post by The_blue »

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 9&id=21112

enough to do 3 buses!

or small rolls

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 7&id=76477

Also available at b&q (the orange ones)

DiscoDave
80-90 Mem No: 684

Post by DiscoDave »

wax oyl inside the pannels,, stuff with rockwool, then using double sided tape put a membrane to seal out moisture before replaceing the pannels! shoudln't have any problems with that!!

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Dave you got your new blingmobile well insulated for this coming w'end?
Mike

madmyk

Post by madmyk »

Guys, sorry for the delay in replying, but thanks for the guidance. :)
Yes maximus, I am having a little go at it. It needed the rust treating (not a great deal but get it whilst its fresh) so tied it in with a respray. That of course led to the insides coming out and dealing with the tinworm there behind the fridge :)

With most of the major parts out/off it was a shame to put mucky stuff back in so its fill the house with van and get scrubbin'!

Replaced water feed pipe from tank to sink, external feed to tank more difficult, 38mm dia pipe by the looks of it, trying to obtain from aquarist shops (fish pond suppliers, they do have it but out of stock at present-keep huntin').
Microswith on tap iffy, may need to replace.
Forward floor section and "non-ply" flooring replaced with varnished ply.
In-body rust treated, repainted inside.
Panels behind cupboards waxoiled.
Wiring for stereo replaced.
Sliding door card replaced.
Door rubbers cleaned.
Window rubbers replaced.

Just gotta rebuild the thing now, replacing insulation as I go. Have obtained Thermo Seal (the silver clad bubble wrap) and Space Blanket, as I think the latter will be better for noise insulation. This will be sealed as far as possible with the Thermo Seal. The difficult part will be behind the fridge/cooker, as I need to be carefull of the heat emmited, and because of the piping will be impossible to completely seal.

Will hopefully get some pics on when done, planning for completion this week, with a bit of luck. Gotta be ready for Pickering :D

Myk.
MadMyk
(With 2 dogs)

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Your gonna be busy, dont forget its always 3 coats cooler up ere
Mike

madmyk

Post by madmyk »

Update on rebuild. :D

Waxoiled inside cab, side and rear doors, then fitted insulation. Opted for space blanket in rear and behind cupboards/fridge, with Therm Wrap inside (towards interior) of that. Cab doors have just used Thermo wrap (7m x 1m roll has done the lot), all the doors close with a nice "Clunk" now. 8)
Sliding door card replaced, had to remove vinyl from old card (used rounded end of 6" rule to prise it away) and then needed something to replace the foam backing. Opted for 1/2m X 72" (sorry, markets mixed measurements) of felt. With the vinyl laid face down and the bit you glue exposed, the "recceses" were measured for width, and the felt cut to fit with scalple and steel rule. Repetative but easy. Spray adhesive used to attach each strip to back of vinyl, then whole thing glued to card. Very pleased with result, it just gives it that little bit of body to the vinyl.

Cooker/fridge unit, R/H curtain rail, cab headlining (with thermo wrap fitted), F&R bumpers, stereo rewiring and a damn good clean to go! :shock:

Then its test everything and fix the bits that don't work.

Myk. :D
MadMyk
(With 2 dogs)