Noisey tappets?

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Fox McIntyre
80-90 Mem No: 3364

Noisey tappets?

Post by Fox McIntyre »

Tappets on my 1.9DG WBX (102000 miles) are noisy, even after a long run and oil change.. my last boss told me there was an adjustment that was to be made to the rocker arms, but he was an arrogant w@nk3r, (if you'll excuse me saying,) and not to be trusted.. anyone got any ideas? I was thinking putting in lifter free a few 1000 miles before oil change, as I have used it on other hydralic liftered engines with positive results, and I don't belive that after only 100000 miles that the lifters are worn.. :roll:

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

in my expericance do Not put any "pooh" in your oil and dont put synthetic or semi synthetic oil in - they were not designed to use anything other than mineral oil !

there is adjustment on the rocker but dont beleive what mr haynes says about how many turns , they say 2from touching But you only want a quarter of a turn in my expericance

it s in the wi ki i i r c

posted mobile via 07947137911

Fox McIntyre
80-90 Mem No: 3364

Post by Fox McIntyre »

Mocki wrote:they were not designed to use anything other than mineral oil !

Noted, better get that GT-heck mankatec OUT of my engine then! :lol:

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Duckhams 20/50 ....instant deafness

I would consider a resetting though aswell
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

T'Onion
80-90 Mem No: 255

Post by T'Onion »

if you do reset them , take the rocker arm off , then one at a time pull out the push rods and give them a good clean , inside and out , but noted which end goes into the engine as you extract them and only do one at a time, so you don't get them mixed up , when you reseat them make sure that they do reseat correctly into the bowl of the tappet/lifter .
refit the rocker arm ,reset the tappets to touch and then 1/2 a turn appears to do it , chage the oil and filter ,then let it tick over for a good ten minutes then take it for a gentle spin ,
if that does sort it then you have two options ,one do the tappets when they are hot , yes hot oil does burn you if your not careful
two if you have a tappet at will not bleed up then you'll have to take it out and fit another , either via the head/s off or via £££ telescopic push rod tubes
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

scooterdoc
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2549

Post by scooterdoc »

I had to have two tappets replaced as they were shot, and used the telescopic tubes, admirably supplied at a good price by cool air
Member number 2549
1989 Leisuredrive crusader 1.9