I think I've knackered a front spindle

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

I think I've knackered a front spindle

Post by Louey »

Just checking what I need to do.

Had to nurse the van home yesterday afternoon. The front nearside wheel centre cap was ripped open and looked like a Tasmanian Devil had had a fit inside it.

I'm gonna hopefully this week get a chance to get the wheel off. Is it just a case of replace the bearings - do I need to do both sides??
Last edited by Louey on 24 Mar 2007, 20:46, edited 2 times in total.
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Re: Front wheel bearing

Post by Ian Hulley »

Louey wrote:Is it just a case of replce the bearings - do I need to do both sides??

There's early and later type Louey :-

> '84 JK J11501 ~£17.80
'84>'91 JK J11502 ~£19.23

The kit includes hub pein nut, inner & outer bearings,(grease pack ?) and the hub seal. At that price I'd be inclined to do both ... you know it's OK then don't you !

Apparantly you'll need a brass drift to tap out the outer bearing outer race and the inner bearing. I meant to do our's this week-end but the weather intervened with my 'cunning plan'.

Cheers,Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Louey

Post by Louey »

cheers Ian - don't think I'll have a problem removing the bearings, they've done that by themselves - just hope nothingelse has been damaged. I have a feeling I might need new discs and pads :cry:
Louey

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

Louey wrote:cheers Ian - don't think I'll have a problem removing the bearings, they've done that by themselves - just hope nothingelse has been damaged. I have a feeling I might need new discs and pads :cry:

C'est la vie Louey old chap :cry: . All part of 'classic' motoring I'm afraid, you just have to ballance it with all the good times :?

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

dutch
80-90 Mem No: 0

front wheel bearing

Post by dutch »

Hi Louey . you only need to do the one (might be worth checking the other for play) sounds like you will need a hub cap + ciclip for the speedo drive & new lock nut + your wheel bearing . Not a hard job , jack vehicle up support with axle stand pop of wheel , undo 2 caliper retaining bolts support caliper out of the way then remove brake disc & see how much damage has occured , if the bearing has done no other damage to the housing , pop in the new bearing & rebuild . Dont tighten up the lock nut to far you should be able to move the big washer a little . Dutch

Louey

Post by Louey »

cheers dutch. I know its not too difficult a job, I'll have to borrow a jack off someone as I lent mine to a neighbour to help him get his business going, but he has done a bunk after not paying his rent and got kicked out of his house by his wife too.

I should be OK getting one though
Louey

Arvi
80-90 Mem No: 2472

bearings

Post by Arvi »

high mate you sorted your wheels out yet?

i have a jack to borrow and spare discs you have if yours are buggered give me a bell if you need
Now running and fixing
1990 VW Caravelle GL 2.1 auto

Arvi
80-90 Mem No: 2472

Post by Arvi »

.pressed return twice
Now running and fixing
1990 VW Caravelle GL 2.1 auto

Louey

Post by Louey »

I've got the use of a jack from my brother in law - was going to buy my parts tomorrow morning. PM me your address and I'll pop round earliesh mate (about 10am)
Louey

Louey

Post by Louey »

What a feck up!!!

:cry:

I'm not sure if the offending wheel has been done properly - the nut that holds the bearings in was hard to tighten up and I couldn't get it to get so tight the disk wouldn't spin, so I'm not sure if its OK.

The disc was badly scored from broken bearing bits and the pads were worn so I decided to change them. Went to do the other side and realised I'd have to remove the bearings anyway, so I went to undo the nut - It was getting on , so I decided to leave it till tomorrow, also the pads looked like they had hardly worn :?: so I thought it may need a bit more time to investigate this side. Went to put the nut back on and bolox!!!! I've gone and threaded it - used the old one as GSF didn't have any in stock :cry:

any ideas on how to solve this?? really fooked off and had enough
Louey

T'Onion
80-90 Mem No: 255

Post by T'Onion »

Lou have you got an haynes ? , from what i remember you tighten up the nut and then back it off until the washer can be moved .. then lock the nut into the shaft ..

Went to put the nut back on and bolox!!!! I've gone and threaded it - used the old one as GSF didn't have any in stock Crying or Very sad

any ideas on how to solve this?? really fooked off and had enough

not quite sure what nut your talking about lou ?
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

Rozzo
80-90 Mem No: 3339

Post by Rozzo »

he's cross threaded it by the sounds of it. don't worry m8,, try and sort the thread on the stub axle with a hacksaw blade. patience is key and you can sort them usually if you take your time. i'm guessing only the first few will be knacked and with a little time and a piece of hacksaw blade you should be able to make something of them. you'll probs need a new nut tho.
LT owner and positively rattling around with the new found space
member 3339

Louey

Post by Louey »

got aches and pains this morning from sitting out with the van yesterday -I've had a crappy cold for 2 weeks that won't shift so I was probably being over dramatic last night.

I haven't had a look yet, only just crawled out of bed :oops: but I'm guessing I have threaded it - might have to see if the local motor factors stock the nut, if not the van is on stilts till next weekend :?
Louey

Louey

Post by Louey »

van will have to wait on axle stands till next Sunday then... couldn't get a couple of nuts today :cry:

will ring GSF or JK tomorrow and see if I can get the nuts posted out :roll: seems a waste to pay postage but hey, won't have time to get to a parts shop
Louey

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

Louey, you need a fred file it recuts the thread ... if you're lucky .. they're not cheap,but if you ask down your local garage they may have one they'll lend you. The thread's a fine Metric ... from memory perhaps a 1.5 pitch ?

Normally the nut's made of a slightly softer material so it can't 'cut' the thread and just bu&&ers the nut instead.

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter