Reverse problem

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

littlepixel
80-90 Mem No: 0

Reverse problem

Post by littlepixel »

Our 82 Aircooled westy has shy reversing lights. They work - when you shift into reverse and the gear lever is at it's fullest extent they come on, but take your hand off the lever and proceed to do your reversing thang they blink out again. I'm guessing there's some kind of switch attached to the gear linkages that needs moving/adjusting/cleaning but am new to all this. Anyone got any tips/advice/fixes for this problem. Have already attracted some unwanted attention in a motorway services carpark with someone rather annoyed at the lack of lights. (He was a road rage numpty though it has to be said)

Any help appreciated.
Ta.

wasserleaker
80-90 Mem No: 3058

Post by wasserleaker »

There is a plunger switch, with 2 wires connected to it on the top left side towards rear of gearbox, you might be able to just see it thru the rear nearside wheel arch, if the switch is obviously working, as it is, it might not be screwed in fully, or screwed in too far, not sure if there should be a washer under it, but mine had opposite prob, reverse light staying on! i unscrewed it a couple of turns, put the wire connectors back on, and its now fine. just an idea. :)

redstar
80-90 Mem No: 2341

Post by redstar »

yep my 81 2000 does the same! quite annoying really as i
have a reverse sensor connected with it!
if anyone has a definitive answer it would benifit me also!

Thanks as always.......
No 2341 ...bad gipsy owner.....
Wanted: LHD choc cab carpet

Shootz
80-90 Mem No: 1963

Post by Shootz »

wasserleaker wrote:There is a plunger switch, with 2 wires connected to it on the top left side towards rear of gearbox, you might be able to just see it thru the rear nearside wheel arch, if the switch is obviously working, as it is, it might not be screwed in fully, or screwed in too far, not sure if there should be a washer under it, but mine had opposite prob, reverse light staying on! i unscrewed it a couple of turns, put the wire connectors back on, and its now fine. just an idea. :)

I had the same problem,the switch was in too far.
It just needed adjusting.
Living the dream right next to the Indian ocean.